Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Some problems caused by Safari..

Some problems caused by Safari..
lordshaq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2003, 11:13 AM

A lot of people are experiencing the following problems after installing and using Safari for a little while. Hopefully others having these issues will be enlightened by this.

1. Classic fails to launch, gets "stuck" on white screen, happy mac never appears.
2. Software Update in system preferences fails with an error message.
3. Unable to print.
4. Unable to mount iDisks.
5. Some applications quit unexpectedly (MacJanitor is one i noticed.)

I was having most of these problems yesterday and could not alleviate them. I repaired permissions for my OS X partition, I ran disk first aid, diskwarrior passes to my classic partition, reinstalled a fresh OS 9, etc, etc. Nothing seemed to work. I eventually did an archive install of OS X and got it working. After using Safari for a little while, it happened again. The problems returned. Thats when it hit me. (Safari was doing something to cause these problems.)

After much research and scouring message boards, the answer appeared in an Apple discussions board, and I just wanted to pass it along...

"/tmp was missing

/tmp was a link to /private/tmp... this last one was still there so all I did was:

ln -s /private/tmp /tmp

and logged out and logged in again... and everything ran as normal.

Hope this helps someone... "

Safari seems to cause "/tmp" to dissapear. All of the issues mentioned above are solved as explained.

-R

you_are_right
Jan 9, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by lordshaq:
A lot of people are experiencing the following problems after installing and using Safari for a little while. Hopefully others having these issues will be enlightened by this.

1. Classic fails to launch, gets "stuck" on white screen, happy mac never appears.
2. Software Update in system preferences fails with an error message.
3. Unable to print.
4. Unable to mount iDisks.
5. Some applications quit unexpectedly (MacJanitor is one i noticed.)

I was having most of these problems yesterday and could not alleviate them. I repaired permissions for my OS X partition, I ran disk first aid, diskwarrior passes to my classic partition, reinstalled a fresh OS 9, etc, etc. Nothing seemed to work. I eventually did an archive install of OS X and got it working. After using Safari for a little while, it happened again. The problems returned. Thats when it hit me. (Safari was doing something to cause these problems.)

After much research and scouring message boards, the answer appeared in an Apple discussions board, and I just wanted to pass it along...

"/tmp was missing

/tmp was a link to /private/tmp... this last one was still there so all I did was:

ln -s /private/tmp /tmp

and logged out and logged in again... and everything ran as normal.

Hope this helps someone... "

Safari seems to cause "/tmp" to dissapear. All of the issues mentioned above are solved as explained.

-R
Had also the issue with the software update, also the software installer did not work. Used also the command line to fix the problem -- now the software updater is running again -

Switch back to chimera - this safari mess is reminding me of the itunes updater (I guess it was to version 2) when the updater deleted entire volumes in some cases.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 11:05 PM

So does anyone know if the "/tmp" problem is caused during the installation of Safari, or if its a product of a sequence of events that might occur while the program is being used?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 11:10 PM

Wierd. My software update failed yesterday but works now. I don't have an issue printing and no apps have quit. However, my wife is having an issue on her iMac trying to print-communication error. She doesn't have any of the other problems, so i don't know if they are single symtoms are a coolective group. I running first aid now to verify permissions. I'll try that terminal trick next.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

K++
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by you_are_right:
Had also the issue with the software update, also the software installer did not work. Used also the command line to fix the problem -- now the software updater is running again -

Switch back to chimera - this safari mess is reminding me of the itunes updater (I guess it was to version 2) when the updater deleted entire volumes in some cases.
First of all I am running problem free, and am well aware of all the things that Safari can do. Second, Safari CAN DELETE YOUR HOME DIRECTORY. So it is much like the iTunes installer, as I recall it involved option clicking a download and having Safari set to delete intermediate files, or something liek that. THe specifics Im actually not to clear on, but I haven't had any of the issues others have. The worst problem I had was google rendered incorrectly once. So i sent a screen cap to apple.

MauroCol
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2003, 09:32 AM

The Terminal solutions didn't work for me. I can't open Mozilla (my primary browser), IE, Excel and other apps.

What can I do now?

Thanks!
Best regards from Colombia!

_______
MaurOS X
IT Journalist
http://www.infotech-colombia.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules