Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll: Should HugeBook have an Integrated Numeric Keypad?

View Poll Results: Should HugeBook have an Integrated Numeric Keypad?
Poll Options:
Absolutly, I've been missing having a keypad when I got rid of the desktop 12 votes (16.44%)
Sure, we've got the room 19 votes (26.03%)
No, it would wreck the design 34 votes (46.58%)
I'd have to see it done to vote 8 votes (10.96%)
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll
Poll: Should HugeBook have an Integrated Numeric Keypad?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 03:44 PM

HugeBook is so wide that an integrated numeric keypad should fit. Should one be included?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2003, 04:34 PM

All the current PowerBooks have integrated numeric keypads. It's these keys:

UIO
JKL
M

Hold down the function key to type the numbers.

But I understand what you mean. I was thinking about this when it came out and I'm not sure where it could be put. You can't put it on either side without shifting the keyboard off centre. And you can't easily put it on the empty areas below the keyboard without destroying the aesthetics and ergonomics.

I think the easier solution is just to leave it out and go with the embedded numeric keypad.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 04:40 PM

I agree

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

If an integrated keypad that looks like \\\ and requires the function key to be pressed is so wonderful, why put one on a regular desktop keyboard?

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 10:28 PM

Number pads are nice and all, but throwing the kybd off center would just be too weird.

I think the thing that suprised me the most is that it only had one battery. When Steve started to talk about the battery life I was hoping that he was going to say that they brought back the dual battery and we'd get 10 hours... oh well...

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by schalliol:
HugeBook is so wide that an integrated numeric keypad should fit. Should one be included?
I think, as someone already mentioned, it might take away from Apple's simplicity design. While we're at it, I think they should add in 2 buttons on the trackpad. I guess the dilemma is how to balance design with utility.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 12:16 AM

Well, a desktop has a keypad, so I don't see the issue. It makes it simpler IMO, the \\\ keypad while triggering it with the fn key makes it awkward.

urrl5201
Jan 10, 2003, 12:33 AM

I have a perfectly rectangular and centered full keyboard with keypad on my Sager P-III 750 Mhz 15" laptop. I would not be surprised to see it in the 17" Mac Daddy laptop next revision. But I do not crunch numbers and don't mind the extra space. They should have integrated a cup holder into the 17". I am selling 2 of my Canon GL1 video cams and have recieved an e-mail just this evening inquiring about my 667 DVI.

Looks like that 17" seems more on the horizon for me. Think I may just place the order for one tomorrow.
( Last edited by urrl5201; Jan 10, 2003 at 12:39 AM. )

niji
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:06 AM

absolutely should have a separate numeric pad.
this would open up the market for this wide screen beast to accountants who work in excel all day.
why think that a wide screen is only for photo or movie editing?

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 03:11 AM

I use dual 19" LCD on my PowerMac for mainly general business use as well as my TiBook. That would be nice.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
I guess the dilemma is how to balance design with utility.
Design includes utility. A good design, that is.

J

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 12:40 PM

Nice idea, but I have found external keypads small enough not to be a burden. I would agree that a keypad would throw off the keyboard, and that would be bothersome as well as awkward for me.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:09 PM

No: a keyboard must be centered to the monitor -- that is the letter and number portion of the keyboard -- unless the machine is going to be almost exclusively used for number crunching.

Apple used the HugeBook opportunity to put some decent speakers on the keyboard; an alternative use of that opportunity would be to go with an extended keyboard but without a numeric keypad, much like most of the larger PC laptops. You know, a full set of function keys, a bigger return key, bigger cursor keys, that kind of thing.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 03:15 PM

I agree that they at least should have a more expanded keyboard.

I don't think that a keyboard must be centered witht the text portion under the monitor.

1. Most people have a desktop system with the keyboard (with keypad, etc.) centered under the monitor.
2. There are laptops with keypads
3. Many people have keyboards not even remotely centered under monitors.
4. The display is so large that there is little issue where the keyboard is, as it all is directly under the monitor.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2003, 01:42 PM

Erm, if you press num lock (it's on F6 on my iBook), you can stick down the num keys too.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 06:04 PM

Why not have the letter bit centered but the numpad on the side? sure it wouldn't look symmetrical, but surely the usability benefits would make that not matter?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 10:28 PM

hmm....

I wondered why they didn't put in a num pad... but at the same time... I think that they're not really targeting accountans with this thing... ultimately arn't most accountants people who use desktops? I think the niceness of the design will appeal to a larger group than the functionality of the keypad.

Ultimately I think Photoshop and Audio software sell significantly better on the Mac than Excel.. and these are the people more likely to buy this one... I'm not saying it's neccicarly fair.. but for apple it's probably the smartest choise.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2003, 11:46 PM

I don't use the keypad I have on my iMac. I wouldn't even use one on a laptop.

Also, it would look crappy. So I like it how it is.

If only I could afford a 17" PB.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 07:10 AM

Really, what's the point of the numbers on top of the letters? They're really hard to use, as you don't have the tactile feedback of edges like a keypad and it's a bit of a stretch from the home row. I guess there's virtually unlimited vert. space. The point of a numeric keypad is that it is really fast to use and also if you're not typing numbers, it's much better for games than the inverted T arrows. The "soft" keypad is awful given it's angular orientation.

BTW, don't anyone think that if you're on a standard coach seat in a plane you'll be able to open your FatassBook. It's nearly impossible on a Ti. If you're on American Airlines or the "Economy Plus" section of United it might be possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules