Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme USB Port

Airport Extreme USB Port
Mr. Bump
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2003, 07:55 AM

As I understand it, the USB port on the new Airport Extreme basestation is designed for a printer but will it be possible to connect my other USB peripherals (scanner, PDA cradle, Memory Stick reader) via a hub?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 13, 2003, 04:48 PM

HIGHLY doubtful. The only reason that even USB printer sharing is possible is that the drivers are capable of accessing another machine (CUPS printing, baby!). Every single USB device you use would need new drivers to do that, and I seriously doubt that will happen.

tooki

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2003, 08:01 PM

additionally, a printer is an output device. It doesn't need to communicate with a computer, apart from receiving commands and data to print.

Scanners are for input, but you run into the addt'l trouble of directing the scanner's data to a particular computer. It just doesn't make much sense.

The other devices you mentioned are also primarily input or two-way devices.

JEB
Jan 15, 2003, 02:41 AM

I imagine you could pluck in a trackball mouse and control the Earth's rotation; just imagine what a joystick could do .. . . .
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

petek
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
additionally, a printer is an output device. It doesn't need to communicate with a computer, apart from receiving commands and data to print.
This may appear to be the case with a printer from the user's perspective, but in actuality there is bi-directional communication going on. There is handshaking for data flow control and most printers have diagnostic and setup utilities which send info back to the computer (like ink level, etc).

Not that this means that you could necessarily use a scanner (or other device) through the AP USB port. For that the device driver needs to be configured for network communication. That is unless Apple is going to provide an interface which provides USB over TCP/IP or something...

Mr. Bump  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 02:44 PM

Why couldn't they add a full USB port as well? It seemed like a logical progression to have USB ports on the next Airport basestation. That way the iBook / Powerbook truly is wireless. Is this another case of Apple's half measures?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2003, 03:11 PM

Have you guys seen the suported list of printers for that USB port? Pretty damn small.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by petek:
This may appear to be the case with a printer from the user's perspective, but in actuality there is bi-directional communication going on. There is handshaking for data flow control and most printers have diagnostic and setup utilities which send info back to the computer (like ink level, etc).
Yeah, I know there's some data exchange.

xtal
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 10:14 PM

Severed Hand of Skywalker,

Where is that list of supported printers posted? I haven't seen it yet.

-Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules