Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > My AE Base Station is UP

My AE Base Station is UP
petek
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 12:04 AM

My AE BS arrived today and seems to work just fine with the Airport card in my G4 PB. I'm sure the 'old' AP card's bandwidth will show on file transfers, but I can't say I see much difference compared to hard wired 10/100bT on the web. I figure I'll get a .11g PCCard if it's too annoying.

Haven't set up the USB printer yet. Save that for tomorrow.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by petek:
I can't say I see much difference compared to hard wired 10/100bT on the web.
Why would you?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 02:32 AM

My Snow Base station shows typically 250-270Kbps transfer rate from a TiG4 powerbook(800 mz), yet 1.7 mbps directly connected through the ethernet out to DSL.

Considerable bottleneck, eh?

This is www.2wire.com and www.speedtest.com throughput testing, BTW.

petek  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 01:23 PM

My 1 GHz PB is getting 530K down via Airport 11.b card and Airport Extreme BS from our 10/100 network and "640/160" DSL, about the same as hardwired. Upload was 83K - lower than the 120K usually seen, but it was just a single speed test. I kindof expected to take a small hit because I saw an improvement on my G3 when I went to a 10/100 NIC from the onboard 10bT. My network is routed by a MacSense router and I have the AP Ex BS connected to that network.

And yes, I know the DSL is the ultimate bottleneck, but Internet traffic is in bursts (packets?), not continuous stream, therefore any incremental increase or decrease in bandwith should be additive to the time to transmit and receive data.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2003, 10:14 PM

I am going to get an Airport Extreme base station for my 1ghz 15" Powerbook. Its good to hear that there isn't much loss in speed from losing the cables. I just hope the reception is good enough to be anywhere in my house to use it.
The base station would be anywhere from one to three floors above where I could be in my house... I know the Titanium models aren't known for their signal strength.

petek  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
.. I know the Titanium models aren't known for their signal strength.
I'm getting whole house coverage - 2 floors, about 50' max - on my 1 GHz TiBook (.11b AP card) to the AP Ex base. It dropped to two bars at the other end of the house, but stayed connected. I have the base sitting on a desk right now, but will be hanging it on the wall and plan to buy an antenna in the spring so I can take the TiBook outdoors.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2003, 12:51 AM

I plan to take the base station to college in August so I guess the signal distance won't be an issue there. However, I'm kinda torn now: should I buy the standard issue base station or the special version with the modem for dialing into and the antennae port. I think for the extra $50 its worth it... what do you think?

Forum Links
Forum Rules