Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new 12'' PB heating and LCD question...

new 12'' PB heating and LCD question...
czeky
Jul 28, 2004, 06:17 PM

Hallo, just reading an arcicle somewhere about 12'' 867MHz model overheating on the lower left side, is it also so bad in the new line of 12'' 1.33MHz PB's ? Was this issue resolved in newer models?

And what about LCD quality? Are LCD's in the new line the same like in the original 867MHz?

many thanx...

McFarmer
Jul 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

12" PowerBook still gets very hot if used on a warm summer day if used heavily (i.e. not just for writing email or browsing the web).
But from what I can tell the heat is evenly distributed. Not concentrated on any corner or part. Much nicer.

LCD seems the same crappy one as was in the original. However, it is much brighter. Seems the backlight was changed. The brightness issue is completely resolved IMHO. The - compared to other PowerBooks - poor viewing angle and poor color representation is still there unfortunately.

If you're serious about the screen you need an external monitor. Luckily the new PowerBooks have DVI out, which is very nice.

But then also, if you intend to do serious work on the 12" PowerBook (which the processor is easily capable of), you need an external monitor anyway as 1024x768 resolution is not suited for any serious work IMHO. Not in OS X, which loves screen real estate.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 10:35 PM

I won both a REV.A and a REV.C, much of what was said above is correct. The REV.C is brighter in regards to it LCD. IMHO it is the one weak link in all of the PowerBooks. If I could change one thing on my computer it would be the LCD. Aside from this fact, everything about the PowerBook line is very well executed.

Hopefully this time next year we will all be raving about the gorgeous screens the REV.B PowerBook G5's have.

Perhaps not.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

TheDrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 11:22 PM

I have no qualms with my 12" pb's LCD.

The viewing angle is a little picky, but its a small screen, so it is to be expected.

Many people expect to feel like they are looking at a 23" (or a 15" and 17" for that matter) cinema on a 12" display, and you simply cant have that viewing angle and the illusion of color depth that you get from a larger screen on something this small.

The 12" pb is a great machine, the 5400 rpm drive (which is what I have) generates a bit more heat than the smaller 4200 rpm drive, but even at its peak temps during summer its not unbearable by any means, not nearly close enough to burn your hand.

It is still the most incredibly portable and powerful notebook you can buy, hands down.

You can work in 1024x768, its a little snug for some apps but its still manageable, just learn the shortcuts to keep your front window maximized and you can make do. Albeit you cannot make up for the small screen and resolution in full, but to say you couldn't work is stretching it a bit.
"Humans take the path of least resistance, especially after the second beer."
Gerard F. Rutan

Forum Links
Forum Rules