Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport express: cracks in case

Airport express: cracks in case
TheJake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 10:47 AM

Hi there.

I just got an airport express as a gift, and its a great device.

However, I have noticed cracks forming in the case near the apple logo.

I thought at first they were scratches, however, they have been forming nearly identically on both sides. The largest of the cracks starts from the power connector side "lower lobe" of the apple logo. Other cracks form near the top of the logo between the leaf and the apple, etc.

Has anyone noticed this?

Scratches are inevitable as far as I'm concerned, but cracks are not. I've only taken it with me on one trip and as with all my hardware it is well cared for. Never dropped, and I even have an old cell phone case I keep it in.

*shrug*

Jake

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 11:02 AM

Take it in a get a new one. I haven't seen cracks in mine and wouldn't keep the device if it had them. I would go to the Apple store (if nearby) and get a new one.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 11:40 AM

I would definitely exchange it, my PowerBook AC adapter had the same problem when I first got it and the local Apple Store gave me a new one with no fuss. If the AirPort Express is in short supply you might have a little more trouble.

TheJake  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 08:05 AM

Resolution to the story: A new one is on the way. 5-7 business days, plus any delay due to backorder.

According to the gentleman at Applecare, the replacement is "Like for Like", meaning that since my Airport Express was new, I should expect a new one to arrive, not a refurb.

Hopefully no cracks in the acrylic clear this time.

Still a great device. Now if only I could track my repair status... but customer.apple.com has been down for almst 24 hours.

Jake

TheJake  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2004, 05:21 PM

So my replacement arrived. It has the same cracks in the same places!

I'd invite everyone to examine theirs. The cracks may be faint and may appear as scratches, but you can definitely see that they stop abruptly at the gray apple logo. A scratch would continue on into the logo.

Oh well. Wonder if I should just accept it or go another round of return roulette.

Jake

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 08:13 PM

Mine looks fine! No cracks!

In any case, if it isn't physically damaged, and works, I'd suggest you keep it. How often are you planning on looking at it anyway??

TheJake  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2004, 10:20 AM

Yeah, I'm keeping it. I did call back Apple. The tech support had me on hold for 20 minutes while he claimed to go get a new express off the shelf. I see no reason to doubt him. He claims that his also had these hairline cracks, and upon discussion with some of the techs, they've decided that they are artifacts of the plastic molding. "Demolding lines" or some such.

He offered to send yet another one, but I guess I don't really care. You can only see them under bright light, and as you say, how often am I going to be staring at it under bright light?

Jake

krove
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 12:41 PM

Mine has the same: they are virtually invisible. These are not, however, cracks, by any means. Nor are they scratches. A minor defect (if even a defect) in the case molding, as stated.

I'm sure everyone's has these on both sides, many just can't see or notice them. I certainly didn't until I looked hard enough.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

JeffHarris
Jul 30, 2004, 02:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheJake:

> I just got an airport express as a gift, and its a great device.

> However, I have noticed cracks forming in the case near the apple logo.

I haven't closely examine d an AirPort Express unit, but these may not be actual cracks. it's possible that these are artifacts from the plastic injection method where streams of plastic meet in the mold and look like cracks. There were similar "cracks" reported in the Cube cases.

Whether that's the situation or not, it might be worth considering.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2004, 07:47 PM

I've got them too...they're not craacks as far as I can tell, just a small glitch with the case mold. Doesn't seem lik something I'd worry about unless it gets really bad.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2004, 09:44 PM

Sounds like the "cube cracks" feature all over again. Is it really worth returning it?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

niji
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2004, 07:07 AM

yes. sounds like from the comments in this forum.
however, in fact the cube cracks were not cracks. they were simply mold flow lines. not cracks at all.
cracks are bad. cracks get worse. flow lines are not bad. flow lines dont get worse . very different.
apple will not sell product with cracks. this is a quality problem if it happens.
apple will not take back product with flow lines. this is simply a marketing issue.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 07:22 AM

I looked again, and I don't even see the mold lines. Maybe I got a funky one?

Squozen
Aug 1, 2004, 07:11 AM

Now that I have mine under a very strong light, I can see one line under the logo on each side, and I couldn't care less. It's going to be behind the stereo, after all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules