Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Lost by Apple!

Mac Mini Lost by Apple!
[datacode]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:46 PM

Well Apple screwed me again. I ordered a custom configured Mac Mini on 1/15 and I got shipping confirmation last Friday (1/29). I paid extra for overnight shipping and kept an eye on the FedEx tracking. Two days passed, and for some reason the tracking number kept saying "Not Found." I finally called FedEx, and they told me that they never received the package from Apple! I called Apple, and they said they would have to "investigate" it and get back to me within 72 hours. Well 3 days passed and no word from Apple, so I called them back and was told that they finished their investigation, and they don't know what happened and they had to place a replacement order. The kicker here is that the replacement order goes to the back of the order line now (which is now 4 weeks) and I have to wait till the beginning of March! How's that for keeping a customer happy!

I complained to the customer service person about getting placed at the back of the line and basically was told TFB - he said there's no way that it could get expedited. We went at it for a bit; I was really pissed. I told him I thought it was lousy. He told me that he thought it was good customer service - they did happily placed a new order for me.

Am I wrong to be pissed over this? Am I expecting too much from Apple? I'd really like to hear what others think.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2005, 10:51 PM

Did you get a refund for the expediated shipping?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

[datacode]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:53 PM

Nope, they didn't even offer that!

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 12:21 AM

Time for a carefully worded letter to someone senior in customer relations. You might not get your computer any quicker but you should get your expedited shipping charge refunded, plus some kind of goodwill gesture - when I made a fuss over their shipping ****-up with my powerbook, I got a voucher for 10% off a purchase from the online Apple Store. I'd have preferred a complimentary dual 2.5ghz G5 tower but, hey.

edit - the forum censors the word for male poultry??

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 01:17 AM

cock cock cock cock cock cock

What?

Oh yeah, make sure you get your expediated shipping money back. It sucks what happened and I'd be pissed too, but I don't think it's worth getting all riled up about unless they keep your shipping money.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 08:46 AM

What the-

Bizarre forum ****-up. :/

edit - see? Did it again. Let's try: **** up

edit2 - OK Luca why is it working for you and not me? I guess I have to wait until I'm an elite member to have full powers of expression on these boards...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 01:25 PM

No...

Click the "reply" button on my post to see what I actually typed.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2005, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Click the "reply" button on my post to see what I actually typed.
D'OH! Gotcha...

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 09:28 PM

Am I expecting too much from Apple? I'd really like to hear what others think. [/B]
Ok, very calmly and politely call the customer service back up again. Don't raise your voice, don't get excited, just politely request to talk with a supervisor. Go over the situation with the supervisor, be sure to write down everybody's name and info, and if you're refused again, ask who you can write to. Ask them to be sure that everything is documented in the case log.

Then tell them to cancel the order, you're sure you'll get better service elsewhere, but that you will be writing to corporate HQ to complain about poor customer service...

Independent dealers like Microcenter are said to have better stock on hand, today, this very minute, than many Apple Stores.

As for BTO, frankly you're better off with a third party installed (or do it yourself) 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm HD. The Bluetooth and Airport can be installed later when all the hoopla has died down.

lordshaq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 11:56 PM

This is not good. Now I'm worried, I also received a shipping confirmation from Apple for the Mac Mini I ordered in mid January. However... the fedex tracking number is STILL NOT found on the fedex system. What the heck is going on? TO make matters worse... a second invoice email I received a day later summarizing my order included an entirely different fedex tracking number which is obviously corresponding to somebody else's order in Indiana (im in southern CA) --- The tracking number I got in that invoice shows a package leaving China with a destination of Indiana for sometime next week.

[datacode]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 08:09 PM

I've had a couple days to think about my situation and have read everyones comments. I plan to call Apple customer service tomorrow (Monday) and see if they can make me feel any better about this purchase. I still think it's pathetic how it was handled. Apple has such a buzz about their latest products; I honestly believe that they don't really care if one customer is unhappy. I'm still thinking about just canceling the order and forgetting it altogether.

I'll post any developments here.

chrisuso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:02 PM

You have probably been hacked!

Sucks to be you!

Applefreak01
Senior User
Feb 6, 2005, 10:34 PM

Do you need the mini ASAP? If not chill out. Life will go on and you'll get your mini. Sometimes it pays to be patient.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

off/lang
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Do you need the mini ASAP? If not chill out. Life will go on and you'll get your mini. Sometimes it pays to be patient.
No, I think he has a right to be annoyed and want his mini now, even though he may not need it this second. (What is 'need' anyway?)

Apple should do right by this situation.
dearinter.net consensus life coaching.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by amazing:
Then tell them to cancel the order, you're sure you'll get better service elsewhere, but that you will be writing to corporate HQ to complain about poor customer service...
Unless you're willing to not purchase a mac and to instead purchase an intel box, the gesture is somewhat futile. Telling Apple that you're going to cancel your order and then buy an Apple product from a reseller won't mean much to anybody at Apple. Telling them that you're pissed and that you will instead buy a Windows box ought to make them sit up and take notice. Of course it won't...

[datacode]  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 10:13 AM

The screwing continues... I just checked my credit card, and Apple also never credited me back! So now I have no computer and a charge on my credit card to prove it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by [datacode]:
The screwing continues... I just checked my credit card, and Apple also never credited me back! So now I have no computer and a charge on my credit card to prove it.
Don't call customer service. They don't know jack and don't care too much. Call Apple and ask to be transfered to CUSTOMER RELATIONS
That's a different department, and they have much more discretion in handling things on a case-by-case basis. Maybe you have to try two or three times until you get a good solution, but it's usually worth the time.

If that doesn't bring a solution (rather unlikely from my experience), then call the credit card issuer and have them credit you for this item. Apple is going to catch hell from them for wrongfully charging you.

Hope that helps.

-t

lordshaq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 10:07 PM

Update on my situation:

I called Apple about my Mini order and explained that fedex didnt seem to have the package corresponding to the tracking number I was given by Apple. They told me they would investigate and attempt to trace it. I was also told that the Minis were shipped to fedex in pallets. The rep told me i'd get a phone call within 72 hrs (sounds familiar).

I didn't give up quite yet...

My Fedex tracking number was still not found today, so I decided to examine my emails in further detail. I noticed one of my invoices included my provided phone number with area code. (10 digits) I went over to the fedex.com site and found their page for "Alternate Reference Tracking" and used my 10 digit phone number as a reference track.. low and behold it revealed a package coming to my city on Wednesday with a TOTALLY different tracking number than the one given to me by Apple! So I call Fedex and provide this new tracking number I found via the reference track and asked to "confirm" the address listed. Turns out its a Fedex package coming to my address.. hmmm. Nevertheless its scheduled to get here on Wednesday, and nobody seems to know how the tracking number mixups occured..

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by lordshaq:
Update on my situation:

My Fedex tracking number was still not found today, so I decided to examine my emails in further detail. I noticed one of my invoices included my provided phone number with area code. (10 digits) I went over to the fedex.com site and found their page for "Alternate Reference Tracking" and used my 10 digit phone number as a reference track.. low and behold it revealed a package coming to my city on Wednesday with a TOTALLY different tracking number than the one given to me by Apple! So I call Fedex and provide this new tracking number I found via the reference track and asked to "confirm" the address listed. Turns out its a Fedex package coming to my address.. hmmm. Nevertheless its scheduled to get here on Wednesday, and nobody seems to know how the tracking number mixups occured..
This is a situation of you being impatient, and Apple being better off not sending you a shipping notification until it arrives in the U.S. and is on it's way to your house. They send these in bulk shipments from the far-east factories. There is no gauranteed delivery date on these shipments. Only once the bulk shipments arrive in the U.S. (usually Alaska) are the broken out and shipped seperately to U.S. addresses. They probably "pre assigned" your tracking number and then re-routed the bulk shipment.

This is how Apple can ship "overnight" from China to Wherever, USA for $10.

Forum Links
Forum Rules