Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.7 Terminal broke after CCC

10.3.7 Terminal broke after CCC
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 01:38 PM

so I used CCC to clone my hard drive to a newer bigger faster one, and everything works except the terminal. When I launch the terminal, it gives me a tiny tiny square window. Basically its just the menu bar with half the red dot visible.

I've tried fixing permissions and removing the .plist file but neither worked. Logging in as a different user allowed me to use that terminal, but >console fails. Weird.

Is there anything else I should try?
( Last edited by Xtraz; Feb 19, 2005 at 01:45 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2005, 02:39 PM

Try the clone again? That seems pretty weird.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Xtraz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 02:55 PM

Yeah I didn't want to clone again because its 200GB of stuff, but I'll do that overnight if it comes down to it.

Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2005, 08:18 PM

This should be caused by an old issue, which has an easy fix. Mac OS X Hints:
Problem: When I open the Terminal app, the window consists only of the upper most left button and a portion of the title bar ("very" tiny). I can't maximize the window and if I close it to open another, I get the same thing. I tried ditching my prefs, but still no joy.

Solution: The default font in Terminal is Monaco. If it's turned off, you get the small tiny window.

[robg adds: One downside of Font Book's easy font management for users is that I think we'll see more of this type of thing happening as they experiment with disabling fonts they just "don't use" or "don't like." My advice: leave the Apple-installed fonts alone, as you can never tell what will happen when they're disabled...]

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Xtraz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 01:03 PM

That was spot on. Thanks!

Its weird though that Monaco isn't turned off on my source drive but when I cloned it, the target drive's was off.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 03:29 AM

Have you considered dropping CCC in favor of Apple Software Restore? It's very easy to use and it works very well. There's the CLI version 'asr' and a GUI version in the DiskUtility app.

Xtraz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 08:11 PM

I've never tried using ASR before, but maybe I'll try that next time I need to clone a drive.

There tends to be more buzz around CCC so that's why I chose to use it. ASR looks like its just as capable.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Xtraz:
There tends to be more buzz around CCC so that's why I chose to use it. ASR looks like its just as capable.
I would have said the same up to about six months ago. But then I realized that CCC is no longer being improved/developed, the author recommended ASR as a replacement himself and that ASR was so clean, simple and fast.

CCC is/was a great tool. Especially before Panther. But since backing up is so important IMHO it's a good idea Apple incorporated a simple yet powerful tool right into the OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules