Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should APPLE release a PRO theme to compliment the current PRO user base?

Should APPLE release a PRO theme to compliment the current PRO user base?
Ado
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 11:16 PM

As a PRO user I have a problem with apples standard UI, using it in a professional enviroment has become unsuitable for colour correction and enhancements.
Frankly I'm sick of aqua. It seems to be more of a hobbyists UI rather than a professional one. I DO love apples UI they use fro FCP, Motion etc.
It is a greyed theme with neutral tones so that it does not clash with the work space.

Why can't Apple offer this theme as a choice in their OS rather than just the aqua UI.
I have taken a look at many shape shifter themes and PhotoPRO seems to be the best and closet to what im explaining. Trouble is that its 3rd party, is susceptible to software incompatibilities. I feel alot of PRO users would appreciate a PRO theme for OS X and after all it was us PRO users that kept Apple from dying for all these years.

Brushed metal and pinstripes....MS is even doing it now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 11:44 PM

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
+ UNO

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
+ UNO

-uno +tigger

And to the OP..photopro is too dark, and will actually cause you to correct your images a bit flatter than they should be, because of the perceived brightness in the image.

don't believe me?....open a white doc in ps and a black doc in ps.....fullscreen the black..stare at it....go back to the white and it will kill your eyes, making you think it is too bright.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 01:01 AM

Link?

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Photo678 View Post
-uno +tigger

And to the OP..photopro is too dark, and will actually cause you to correct your images a bit flatter than they should be, because of the perceived brightness in the image.

don't believe me?....open a white doc in ps and a black doc in ps.....fullscreen the black..stare at it....go back to the white and it will kill your eyes, making you think it is too bright.
Irrelevant. Hit the ' f ' key and Photoshop provides a gray or black screen for proper toning of images.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 01:40 AM

… which doesn't help squat if your eyes are already adjusted to look at a dark/light UI.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 02:40 AM

tigger> http://sagefire.org/files/themes/tigger.zip

no uninstaller.....use uno's

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 05:12 AM

Screenshot?

MacOS Tigger is designed to be installed over Max Rudenberg's SmoothStripes.

The current package installer for smoothstripes can be found at:
Max Themes - SmoothStripes
(v5.1.2 as of the time of this document)

The installer also installs iTunes resources for v.7.0.1 and Agua icons.

Tigger Unifies the non-metal windows (since Max does such a fantastic job of unifying the Metal ones).

THIS SOFTWARE IS UNSUPPORTED
Is this yet another unifier? And what would the advantages be over UNO?

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2006, 05:31 AM

I dont have it installed over smoothstripes....just running it solo. It is a unifier, but i just prefer the gradients and the overall look of everything to uno. It also feels a bit less resource hungry, but im sure that is just in my head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...s/9d7945fd.png

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 06:30 AM

The installer is downright scary, just asks for a password and then starts going?
And cancelling it left a half-done installation overwriting some of my icons, leaving others untouched. AWESOME!

How exactly is it different from UNO if it's just unifying? Also by design it can't be more resource hungry Judging by that screenshot it is slightly darker, more the shade that brushed metal used to be like. Sorry, but I still prefer UNO as it meshes perfectly with the rest of the system as it exactly as Apple's design.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2006, 06:58 PM

there was talk of a shake like theme about 2 years ago. I was excited about that but it didn't amount to anything. But I do agree it would be very nice to have a protheme for the gui.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 04:51 PM

IMHO, Apple should not release a pro theme (or any theme for that matter).

They should simply fix the GUI...

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I agree 100%

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 05:36 PM

What's the big deal? Graphite appearance + solid color background should be all you need. Aren't you inside a (nearly) fullscreen professional application when you're working anyway?

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2006, 12:49 AM

I know about the graphite colour scheme all it does is turn everything blue, grey.
Im talking about the UI's in FCP and Aperature and motion. Slim borders, greyed out in neutral tones. Also take a look at AE7, you can grey out their UI to seem with Apples Pro app UI's. Very thoughtful Adobe, Id lovbe Apple to give us a FCP=like UI chocie too.
PhotoPro 1.4 SS theme is close to what I want but lacks app compatibility.

bevel in disguise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the nice comment about PhotoPro. In the next upgrade I'll be theming more of the elements that Adobe apps use. There are still many things unresolved for dark themes, and are today unthemeable but Jason from Unsanity seems to be working them out, bit by bit. My guess is after Shapeshifter is released for Leopard darker themes will be much more complete and 3rd party apps easier to theme.

BTW, what 3rd party apps do you find most incompatible with PhotoPro? I'll take a look into it if you give me some names.

OreoCookie
Nov 16, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I know about the graphite colour scheme all it does is turn everything blue, grey.
Im talking about the UI's in FCP and Aperature and motion. Slim borders, greyed out in neutral tones. Also take a look at AE7, you can grey out their UI to seem with Apples Pro app UI's. Very thoughtful Adobe, Id lovbe Apple to give us a FCP=like UI chocie too.
PhotoPro 1.4 SS theme is close to what I want but lacks app compatibility.
Why should all apps look like that? Mail for instance doesn't need as much screen estate as Aperture and FCP do, so the trade-off smaller buttons vs. more space for content.

I even dislike that Aperture simply supersedes my Sys Prefs by making the close-minimze-maximize trio of buttons on the top-right of the main window grey (note that palettes only get colored once you hover over them). It breaks consistency.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I agree! always fix the problem. Don't treat the symptoms.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 03:31 PM

I'd like a few UI options. That said for the most part using the Dark Uno theme for my Brushed apps works out well. I wish I could get a more classic mail theme I hate the bubble buttons. I leave the aqua windows aqua because Keynote and Pages both look like ass in Uno, and Photoshop looks a bit funny in it too. Overall though I think it'd be nice if Apple even worked things out in their pro apps, FCP does not look quite the same as LiveType for example (I realize the newer apps all look the same.)
Really they just need one interface designer with a good vision for the products.

Forum Links
Forum Rules