Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop CS3 Poor Performance

Photoshop CS3 Poor Performance
webmonkie
Dec 18, 2006, 09:35 AM

I've been browsing several forums on the web about the new Photoshop CS3. Most user are not very impress with new Photoshop. The reviews are mix between G5 users and lower end Mac Intel machines. Has anyone download the new Photoshop who's running a new Mac Pro desktop?

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2006, 05:17 PM

running it on a macbook and the thing screams......however, it is beta, and people seem to forget that...its not supposed to run perfect. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever and have been running it about 5 hours a day for the past 3 days...without a hiccup.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Photo678 View Post
running it on a macbook and the thing screams......however, it is beta, and people seem to forget that...its not supposed to run perfect. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever and have been running it about 5 hours a day for the past 3 days...without a hiccup.
Can you give us a rundown of your personal experience with it to date?

Thx.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 07:29 PM

I think that it is a bit slow on my G5 1.8GHz 2Gb of RAM. It's about the same as say Photoshop Elements 2, but slower than CS2. It's not bad though.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I think that it is a bit slow on my G5 1.8GHz 2Gb of RAM. It's about the same as say Photoshop Elements 2, but slower than CS2. It's not bad though.
Cool, thx for the reply.

What do you think of the new features?

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by art_director View Post
Can you give us a rundown of your personal experience with it to date?

Thx.

New layout and design of palettes are great.....not sure if you have seen, but there is a bit of a smoked sort of glass around the pallettes....sounds annoying but is really a nice touch....

I have no idea how this works on a powerpc processor as i don't have one anymore....startup time from first bounce in the dock is between 8-21 seconds...yes, seconds....its that fast.

some things are a little wonky....the brush tool, when selected, does not show the brush size on your canvas....well it does at certain sizes, but disappears at other sizes.....but a known bug.

opening and saving files is pretty normal for ps users.....same speed as windows, ie pretty quick.

Often times when selecting the type tool, it beachballs for a few seconds....not sure if that is the updating of the font previews or if it is the creation of the layer....not too annoying though.

haven't printed anything yet, so don't know about that...saving for web is decent, camera raw is really nice, but haven't done too much work in there just yet....smart filters are a great addition...filters themselves work nice and fast..full gaussian blur on high res(2500x2500 @300dpi) image takes about 30 seconds or so.

As a beta, im pretty impressed with it, and will be using this daily until the final is released, unless i find something that just doesn't work.

hope that helps.

MM-o4
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 11:56 PM

it runs sweet on my Mac Pro 2.66 1Gb.

really looking forward to all of CS3

-MM-

DemersDesigns
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 12:01 AM

I had a Kernel Panic right after I installed it. After restart, it is running stable and is pretty damn fast. The new palette configuration is sweet and overall I am impressed with the performance. Just my 2 cents...
Creative things have to sell to get acknowledged as such.
-Steve Wozniak

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 19, 2006, 02:58 AM

works pretty well on my 2.3Ghz dual G5 (2GB RAM).
i'm digging the interface changes.
and the photomerge revamp is simply amazing.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2006, 06:55 AM

Just wait until they remove the debug code...

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 11:26 AM

thx for all the informative posts, gang. haven't had the time to download and play with it yet. looking forward to the chance.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 04:06 PM

Did anyone check out the 'save for web and devices' then go to 'Device Central'? Pretty nice you can save down for different brands of cell phones, PDA, etc. Save animated GIFs as screensavers and wallpapers.

I really like the new palettes and this thing is fast on my Macbook Pro here in all aspects.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Did anyone check out the 'save for web and devices' then go to 'Device Central'? Pretty nice you can save down for different brands of cell phones, PDA, etc. Save animated GIFs as screensavers and wallpapers.

I really like the new palettes and this thing is fast on my Macbook Pro here in all aspects.
That save for devices feature sounds sweet. What phones / PDAs are listed?

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2007, 01:49 AM

I haven't had a problem. CS3 is probably the best photoshop upgrade in years.

motoxpress
Jan 2, 2007, 12:37 PM

It is running really well on my MBP. I had one or two crashes but have been using it pretty steadily since it's release.

-mx

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 12:37 AM

The final release will show significant performance increase over the beta im sure.

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 04:50 PM

Very impressed, some excellent new features and the new interface could make my second screen almost obsolete.

No noticable speed differences between CS2 and CS3 on my G5.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by godzookie2k View Post
I haven't had a problem. CS3 is probably the best photoshop upgrade in years.
I concur. Some great stuff in there. No speed problems here, either. I'm on the fence about the new palettes, but I figure in a couple of months, I won't think about it at all.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 18, 2007, 07:21 PM

CS3 is much better than CS2 on my MacBoook.

I am having two problems with PS CS3 though

The first is in regards to brushes. They tend to disappear periodically when set to the brush size setting. this is extremely annoying.

The second is with printing. Pictures have an "antique" look to them. The color is desaturated and slightly brown. I am not sure if it's a problem with color profiles or not. CS2 prints perfectly though, so I just open the files and print in CS2.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 18, 2007, 07:40 PM

the brush issue is a known bug with the beta. not sure about the printing thing tho.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 19, 2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
the brush issue is a known bug with the beta.
Good to know. It'll probably be fixed pretty quickly.

not sure about the printing thing tho.
This isn't that big of a problem. Actually, I have been really impressed with Light Room and it's output options. I pray that Light Room is reasonably priced when it leaves beta status.

frisby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2007, 05:11 PM

I really enjoyed the beta. You can tell they are following Macromedia's layout that they also implemented into AE7 and Premiere Pro 2. I am anxious for the first universal code PS on Mac.

iMac G5, 2.33 Duel Core, 3 gigs o RAM.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 20, 2007, 10:34 PM

I'm pretty pleased w/ it nice improvement over CS on the intel iMac listed, the difference in RAM usage vs. Rosetta is a good enough improvement for me.

Beyond that I have neither seen any problems or have any real gripes, nice piece of software as usual, what I'd really like is a Public Beta of InDesign CS3, but I doubt that will happen.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2007, 11:00 PM

Here's a link to the Beta Forums and here's a link to a pretty good writeup on the new features.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 07:57 PM

I'm running CS3b on a Dual Core 2G G5 desktop (PPC) and it's much faster than the CS2 version I'm also running. Startup is about half of the CS2. I understand that with an intel Mac it's even faster. The new features such as the nondestructive smart filters are a great addition.

Forum Links
Forum Rules