Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Beige G3 PCI Cards

Beige G3 PCI Cards
Tristrami
Senior User
Jun 5, 2001, 09:58 AM

Okay,

Can anyone recommend brands/types of 32-bit PCI cards (graphics, Sound, Firewire/USB combo, etc) for an older G3 (rev. A) that can't handle the new 64-bit ones. Discontinued items are fine, I just need to know what's out there and what's good.

Thanks!

WillyB
Jun 5, 2001, 10:11 AM

Running an ATI RAGE 128 graphics card w/32mb VRAM in Beige G3/266 tower... (beautifully).

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: WillyB ]
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

petek
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2001, 09:17 PM

I've tried these cards in my rev A G3 MT, OS 9.1, Firewire 2.7, USB 1.4.6:

Orange Micro Firewire/USB combo card (2 ports ea.). No Firewire problems. Works with iMovie and JVC DV camera. USB works about as well as the built in USB on an iMac. That is to say it usually works but is quirky; sometimes peripherals have to be reset to communicate.

I also tried a VST Firewire/USB but couldn't export to my JVC with it.

Macsense FE-551 10/100 base T Ethernet card. Worked fine until my kids crashed the computer while I was transferring a bunch of files, has been bog slow (about 0.1 base T!) ever since. I haven't figured out what happened yet, though I suspect the firmware got trashed. Fixing this is low on my priorities since the built in 10bT works.

<muttfree>
Jun 6, 2001, 06:55 AM

WillyB.......where, oh where, did you get a 32MB Rage 128 ? oh do tell, please.....or did you mean a Radeon ??

Tristrami, you can use just about PCI card in your machine. I currently have a Belkin 4port USB card, a Formac Proformance 3 Graphics card, and a Sonnet Tempo ATA controller in my B&W. All have performed wonderfully. And I am seriously considering a Radeon or maybe a SoundBlaster Live, once they get the drivers fixed, that is. There are alot of others out there too, alot would depend on what capabilities you wanted to add to your machine, and your budget, of course

You might also want to check the peripherals forum too.....

HTH

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 04:27 AM

Greetings,
I'm using an ATI Nexus (Rage 128, 32MB) card in my platinum G3 and it works great.
These cards show up on eBay, but the prices are all over. I bought this card from a friend who bought it at MacAdam in San Francisco. They have a bunch of them in factory sealed boxes for the rather high price of about $200. They would, however, be a good choice for someone who wanted to use an OS as old as 8.0 and also for older Power Mac models. I believe the Radeon requires 9.0 (or is it 9.1?) or higher.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

capone
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 03:31 PM

My Radeon works fine with my g3. I was considering buying a Nexus befor i heard about the Radeon.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules