Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Few MBP vs. MB questions

Few MBP vs. MB questions
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 11:51 PM

So I have been debating long and hard about MBP vs. MB. I do a lot of photoshop, some aperture work, and other than that am a simple internet, word etc user. I shoot with a D200, and shoot RAW, so files are fairly large. Screen size is not important because I have no issues using my external gateway when at home. If I put them both to 2 gigs of Ram the only real difference is the processor 2.0, and 2.16 which is no biggie, and the graphics card, which from my understanding, if I am not gaming, will again be no biggie...so, I am slightly leaning towards the macbook to save money for more glass, but wanted opinions here first.

Thanks in advance guys!

Ruf993Turbo
Feb 1, 2007, 12:21 AM

I had the black MB and swapped it out on my 13th day for MBP. The reason being exactly what you're asking about. The independent video card is a huge difference. I work with some very similar program to you, on top of that, sometimes I do video comparison (just normal video formats and very small in size; usually no larger than 300x400) and I find that the MB struggles to display both videos at once in simple of software as quicktime and windows media player.

jdrumstik
Feb 1, 2007, 02:30 PM

I think that without any 3D animation type stuff or games, MB would be just fine. Turbo does a lot of video stuff and that's why he had problems. I'd think you will be just fine.

Simply know this, that if Leapord has some sleek new amazing interface, it may require 256Mb of Video Memory like the new Vista. While I doubt this it is something to consider.

I have a MBP, but I would go MB, I think they are nicer computers, aside from the hardware.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2007, 02:46 PM

As long as nothing you do involves 3d you should be fine with a MB. Still, I went with the MBP because I hate replacing my computer, and a graphics card can extend the usable life of a computer by a good 6 months, particularly as OS's and other basic apps begin to integrate 3d into the UI. But, then again you could just get other lower end computer sooner with all the money you saved.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules