Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Having a big networking issue...

Having a big networking issue...
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 08:01 PM

So, I have had 3 routers in 3 months and each router will pick a website or two that it just won't access. I always call time warner and they always say it's the router...I've swapped the router 3 (2 different brands, right now on the MIMO Netgear) times, and every time if I direct connect the computer to the modem it accesses the site, but if I run it through the router it doesn't work, any thoughts on why? Obviously it's not the router, and the site works fine directly through the modem but as of a week ago not through the router (but it did work fine for like 3 weeks or so on each router...)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 09:26 PM

Sounds like it may be a DNS issue. Try setting your DNS server to 4.2.2.4 and see if you can access the site.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 09:34 PM

just tried that my friend, no luck, but thank you, any other thoughts?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 11:07 PM

Pop open the terminal and type "nslookup", hit enter, then type the website domain you were trying to get to and hit enter. Does it resolve?

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2007, 01:52 AM

** server can't find SITE: NXDOMAIN

I substitued SITE for the address I am trying to connect to because it is our corporate server. Does this help figure it out any?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 26, 2007, 09:38 AM

You need to join a domain to get into your corporate network. Your IT folks need to help you with this. Joining a domain is often a two-part issue; you need to have your computer set up to try, and the domain needs to be set up to allow you in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules