Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > UJ-85J Drive Region Free

UJ-85J Drive Region Free
daneel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 08:28 AM

Is there any region free firmware available for the UJ-85J Matshita drive on Leopard ? I found some a thread with the firmware on a thread in the rpc1 forums but unfortunately, the firmware flasher is only for tiger and i have leopard.

A download link for a leopard flasher would be much appreciated.

here's the rpc1 link - The Firmware Page :: View topic - Matshita and Apple RPC1 firmware: a summary

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 11:03 PM

The region code is more a thing of the apple DVD player software.

If you want to play DVDs from other regions, play them with the VLC video player, which you can download free. It doesn't give you trouble to play DVDs from other countries.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
The region code is more a thing of the apple DVD player software.

If you want to play DVDs from other regions, play them with the VLC video player, which you can download free. It doesn't give you trouble to play DVDs from other countries.
Wrong.
He needs to Flash his drive so it can play DVD's of any region.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 10:59 AM

Region coding is handled both by the drive and the player software. moonmonkey is right that the drive needs new firmware to make it region-free - if that firmware is available. See this thread, and particularly this one for more in-depth discussion of the issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Wrong.
He needs to Flash his drive so it can play DVD's of any region.
Then why could I play a region 2 DVD using VLC, while it didn't play in my regular DVD player because of its being region 2?

Edit: that disc was the first DVD I played on my 24" iMac. Maybe you don't get a screen dialogue with your first disc. But isn't the drive set to region 1 by default? And when you put region 2 disc in, you have to switch to region 2?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Then why could I play a region 2 DVD using VLC, while it didn't play in my regular DVD player because of its being region 2?
It depends on the drive. In older DVD drives, you can still access the data even though it's of a different region, letting VLC perform the decoding; in newer drives, that doesn't work. (Case in point, the combo-drive on my old eMac had no problems playing a R3 DVD with VLC, the drive in my new Mac mini however, doesn't.)

Edit: To be fair, I haven't actually tried playing an R3 disc yet, but I tried playing an R2 disc with VLC without starting Apple DVD Player first, which was a no-go, which leads me to believe that it does extra checks for video-DVDs.

daneel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks for trying to help guys and sorry i left the thread for dead.

My problem got solved. The software flasher and the firmware were perfectly alright and the only reason i couldnt go ahead and flash my drive was because the software checked to see if tiger was installed before running. so i edited my systemversion plist file and made it 10.4.9 for a few minutes and the flasher worked perfectly. now i have a region free drive that i can reset as many times as i like.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:51 PM

V Smart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules