Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Use landline through mac

Use landline through mac
daneel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 03:23 PM

I was wondering if there is any way, i could hook up my landline to my imac and use the mac as a phone. just for standard dialing and caller id and stuff like that. any software recommendations for acheiving this ? or is it just not possible at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by daneel View Post
I was wondering if there is any way, i could hook up my landline to my imac and use the mac as a phone. just for standard dialing and caller id and stuff like that. any software recommendations for acheiving this ? or is it just not possible at all.

I don't think you could do this without some additional hardware and software - something to convert between analog and digital.

A better option would be looking into voice over IP (VoIP). You can use Asterisk, Skype, iChat, etc. for this.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2008, 03:31 PM

There used to be some modem telephony software, but most of the world is way past modems. It probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2008, 05:01 PM

Caller ID. Does not work with all modems, though. Silica

Dialing can be done with: From Concentrate Software ยป MacDialer

daneel  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 11:42 PM

well it just one of those "why not" kinda tech projects. i gave it a go, but it didn't work out. ah well.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 10:03 AM

This used to be really easy ten years ago. Mate of mine used to do all his telephony through his beige G3.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 04:23 PM

Was that the GeoPort Telecom Adapter (aka GeoPort modem)? Those were neat little devices, though they did eat a lot of CPU to do its work.

Silica worked pretty well with my eMac's modem. It would display the phone number and match it to a name in its address book. However, I have to admit that most of my phones do this job far better (easy to read LCD).

If you really want full-featured, you'd have to turn to commercial software such as PhoneValet. You might also want to check out PureMac's Telephony page for a list of software for Macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules