Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 speakers

G4 speakers
cogar
Feb 24, 2000, 09:17 PM

I'm looking for any recommendations for speakers for the new G4 system. If you know the lowest price please include in your posting. I'm not looking at a specific price point but I would like a system with a full range and deep bass at the most reasonable price.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2000, 01:15 AM

Well what is in your price range? I just purchased the Cyber Acoustics Mac Audio speakers for my iMac. They were $79 at Micro Center and they have great sound. They come with different color shells but too bad there's no Graphite to match your G4. They have great sound and I've been very satisfied with them.

-Eric

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2000, 02:23 AM

I got the AltecLansing Power Cubes (ACS-45) a year or so ago and the still sound great. I can recommend anything made by AltecLansing (ACS-45 or above) OR the Cambridge Sound Works line of computer speakers is great also. Make sure you get a system with a subwoofer.

Un_Registered
Feb 27, 2000, 02:09 AM

Listen to the Bose MediaMates - they sound great on my G3.

Fred

PhilB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2000, 09:12 AM

Since we're on this topic, does anyone know if HK is going to make speakers that are compatible with the new Subwoofer for the iMac?

Misha
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2000, 01:18 PM

HK is working on a three-piece USB speaker system that once can assume will most likely make use of the iSub. Of course, if it does, that means that the speakers will be in the $200 range.

Lil Helper
Feb 27, 2000, 06:02 PM

I just got a G4 and since I bought a flat panel monitor I opted for Monsoon 700 flat panel speakers. They have a very small footprint. This set comes with a subwoofer and can be heard throughout the house. They cost $130 and have a $40 rebate. Not too shabby for 90 bucks.

segaslave
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2000, 03:50 PM

i use the cambridhe FPS setup
there pretty good(some weirdness for me when playing DVDs i get a loud static pop every few seconds sometimes, usally a restart fixes it..) but with creative realesing there Live cards for the mac here real soon, the cambridge speakers go perfect with the card, and you can get them for like 100 bucks now for the low end setup...
:rolleyes:

nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2000, 03:49 AM

If you want to get good sound without spending a lot of $$, check out the PELE Apolla speakers. I paid around $45 and they deliver excellent sound and decent bass. Perfect for gaming and surprisingly good for music CD's.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2000, 10:28 PM

Cogar,

I bought the Monsoon 700 Speakers and think they sound GREAT!! My new Volkswagen also has a Monsoon System.. Pretty cool. All Monsoon systems are tuned for the speakers they come with, and tuned differently in the case of a car with different intereior dimensions..

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,
Phillip

oy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2000, 01:33 AM

I have a pair of Sony SAVA 7's that i love.... they are very very nice, they support multiple sound settings like game, surround, live, studio, etc.... they have a built in sub-woofer, and look good.

If you can get your hands on a pair i would strongly recommend you buy them.

R��ouris
Mar 5, 2000, 11:09 AM

I'm using a pair of Labtec APX 4620 which include a whooping 60W (rms) subwoofer! Bought these for around $150 in the UK, but I suspect that you might find a much better deal in the US - almost everything is far cheaper in the US anyway... If you're into gaming with LOUD bass and music in general, you won't be dissapointed...

Guest01
Mar 8, 2000, 11:35 AM

I'll second the review of the Sony SAVA-7, I personally like them better than the Monsoon system, but the Monsoons are great as well. The SAVA-7 also have Pro-logic decoding, with simulated surround and center speakers built in, as well as built in subwoofers. You can also supposedly attach external rear speakers, although I haven't tried it. You should still be able to find them at www.crutchfield.com for about $130.

Mike Beck
Mar 8, 2000, 12:45 PM

I have the Monsoon 500s. I love the sound. They look nice. I chose to go the directional sound path to hopefully minimize my wife having to listening to my music when she's in another room. Also for 3D sound. They are inexpensive (79.95 - Outpost.com) and even received better ratings than the 700s which I noticed while shopping online. Oh, and they have an auto on/standby setting. The other Monsoons can't be turned off (I think).

Kay Autic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2000, 01:48 PM

Monsoon speaks absolutly kick. These flat panel speakers look and sound fantastic! The 500 series are $80-100, the 700 series are $130, but the best are the MM-1000 for $220 is you want to let go of some change. Totally worth it. There is no on/off on the MM-1000, but there is a wired remote (generous length!) with a mute button and a volume control wheel. There is also a bass boost on the sub. The 3D sound is amazing. Pod racer is a whole new world now!!

chrisjm
Mar 8, 2000, 02:24 PM

I vote for Cambridge Soundworks stuff-- you can get "Soundworks" for about $80 and they are quite musical and accurate (sometimes, in my experience, speakers perceived as "kickass" just have overly pumped bass and shrill highs). They can sustain as loud as you can stand it volume levels without distorting, the satellite cubes are tiny enough (4" on a side) to put anywhere, and the company has extended its no questions fix it or replace warranty a year for every year they have been in business
(10 years and counting....).

Halfsquatch
Mar 8, 2000, 05:36 PM

Cambridge Sound Works ROCKS!

I got their $100 set w/ subwoofer and a WOW thing (http://www.wowthing.com/)...

WOW!

for $130 I have a system that sounds better than my stereo.

d3
Mar 8, 2000, 07:23 PM

I have a set of the SAVA-7s also and have to say they have a lot of features for the money. I bought them for home, basically because they had prologic and several games I play support that.

On a different note, at work I do multimedia production and was trying to find a "studio-quality" system somewhat below the $800 (minimum) I have seen for professional desktop systems of companies like Bag End, Event, Genelec and the like. Knowing the boss would choke on those prices, I "settled" on a Midiland 3-pc system for just under $300. A former sound engineer said "I'd be comfortable mixing with these" in a review he wrote for C|net. I had all but ordered them when I heard that THX had approved the first computer speaker system, the Klipsh ProMedias. Obviously I had to check them out. It was pretty easy, since they were $50 less than the Midilands. I have to say they are awesome. More power than any other desktop system and shining with clarity and presence, they are a bargain at $250. I will probably get a set for home when Creative releases a 4-channel sound card for mac and let my kid have the SAVA-7s. `-)>

d3 `-{>

Serotonin
Jun 30, 2000, 02:56 PM

I bought some YST-MS30's for $30 from Amazon.com. This is after a $20 rebate from Yamaha, which if I remember will only be good til the end of this month.

I think they sound reasonably good, on par with the low end Cambridge Soundworks speakers although they won't get quite as loud. I think they are good office speakers and I am very happy with them at the price I paid.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2000, 04:07 PM

I would urge you to grab the Klipsch Promedias, they are the best computers speakers priced at a good spot (heck, they probably ARE the best computer speakers). They are the only ones available that are THX rated, and that means that these speakers kickass (Altec lansing has thx speakers, I think you can only get it through Dell and they sound horrible for some reason). I myself have a wowthing/csw fps setup, sounds great but not enough "bang", as cambridge soundworks systems don't use incredible levels of power (klipsch promedias=400 watts rms). CSW do make great systems though, their quality is execptional.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2000, 04:53 PM

if you are going for the Best speakers w/o a SoundBlaster upgrade, which will be introduced at MacWorld in 2 weeks, then Cambridge Soundwork's Microwerks is the best way to go. It costs $150, has a 45W subwoofer and 2 satellites of 7W each. It may not seem as powerful as some of those $100 Yamahas or whatever, but believe believe me when I say, the Microwerks is far superior in sound quality and will have as much power as the Yamahas if not better. Forget the iSub, USB sound systems are overpriced and underpowered.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Cavka
Jun 30, 2000, 07:34 PM

I have Altec lansing's ACS56 5 speaker set. They sound fantastic, the bass is something else. It makes my home system sound crappy. Highly reccomend them to anyone. Definatly the best money I have spent on computer accesories.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2000, 07:39 PM

Please, do not get Altec Lansing products. Their quality has been degrading over time; for example, low bass tones come out of the tweeters which is distorting, etc. Altec Lansing should not be an option for you; my friend recently got his THX rated system from Dell, they are altec lansing (and I would assume it is their best line of speakers), and his speakers really suck. Sound was coming digitally out of a soundblaster, but there was so much static it was ridiculous, I felt that my CSW FPS1000 system could easily take it. If I were you, go for Klipsch or CSW; others are probably good but I've never heard some of them (like yamahaa, boston acoustics, etc)...

dabradda
Jul 4, 2000, 06:16 AM

well, i dont know about the altec lansings that come with the dells, but the a/ls i have kick a$$. i got the acs33 set from wal-mart, $50. there is two 3" sattelites and a wooden sub. wooden case is important for a sub, because plastic just doesnt sound the same (thats why i didnt get the cambridge soundworks set). i get some bass from the satellites, but not enough to distort the highs. it sounds nice, not too high or too low. and the sub is really good, for a $50 set of speakers. it shakes my floor. all my mp3s sound so much better now. and the dvds sound awesome. even though the speakers are not digital, they sound pretty dang good.

and i thought the harman/kardons in my imac were good...

dabradda

orlgummo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2000, 05:56 PM

I second the Cyber Acoustics Mac Audio speaker comment way up at the top. They are incredible given the price. I'm a musician and use audio software, hardware, and the like, and if you aren't looking to spend several hundred dollars, get the Cyber Acoustics. You'll be glad you did.

Chris
[ B r a i n M a n ] http://www.mp3.com/brainman
"Good music doesn't do Windows"

luap82
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2000, 04:55 PM

im looking into getting some speakers for my new G4, and im looking for medium quality and low price (basically anything better than the built in speaker or my current 2 piece battery powered SONYs) What do you guys think about the Altec Lansing iMac 3-Piece system with the sub (ACS65I) they're only 60 bucks and im not looking for super quality sound, just "good" as i will be using my comp to play Mp3s and CDs and also games, im not a huge gamer but i will be playing UT and Q3. The speakers are basically for turning my Mac into a stereo. Plus, are they USB or what? do they run off comp power or plug in? thanks for da info...

[This message has been edited by luap82 (edited 07-07-2000).]
UND KEINE EIER

MattOgle
Jul 7, 2000, 05:47 PM

As an owner of a three-piece Altec Lansing speaker system (2 speakers and the wooden sub...my model is ACS65i), I wouldx definitely like to voice my support for these wicked speakers...I'm still amazed at how great they sound for what I paid, and still haven't found anything nearly comparable in the same price range. (Ever tried *cranking* most of the flat panel speakers that are coming out? Doesn't sound too pretty.) As a musician with several CD's of my own out, I'd like to think I'm a little discriminating...they definitely aren't high-end speakers, but they're the sweetest sounding computer speakers (for games and Cd's) I've ever owned.

They go great with my G4, too! ;-)

-Matt

JR
Jul 8, 2000, 02:05 AM

Cambridge Sound Works hands down.... the 5 piece system is great.

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2001, 04:09 PM

Another vote for the Monsoon 700s with external powered sub.

I use them at work for CDs, MP3s, and simulating thunderstorms by playing Unreal Tournament REALLY LOUD.

Very directional, which is useful in an office. Nice sound quality, not too 'bright' or 'glaring' but not too warm either.

-pwc

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2001, 05:45 PM

You do realize that this topic is over a year old, and that the orginal poster is probably now LONG DEAD!!

Heh Heh Heh!

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2001, 05:48 PM

Klipsch Klipsch Klipsch Klipsch Klipsch Klipsch Klipsch!!!!!
Um kill this thread

iMan
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2001, 09:41 PM

Hello Everybody,

I have the Monsoon MM-1000. They are great speakers. Wonderful sound and they get plenty loud for any ocassion. I would definately reccomend them!

I got mine for $169 or $179 I an not shure at Outpost.com They retail at $199.

[This message has been edited by iMan (edited 02-28-2001).]
Nick Fleming
[email protected]

Ti PowerBook - 1000/512/60
iPod 30 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules