Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Laurene Jobs launches website advocating Dream Act

Laurene Jobs launches website advocating Dream Act
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 PM

The widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Laurene Powell Jobs, has launched a new website to help her promotion of the Dream Act. The site, The Dream is Now, features videos of immigrants who would benefit from the act's passing. The project was completed with the help of filmmaker Davis Guggenheim, best known for An Inconvenient Truth and Waiting for Superman. The former film, notably, centered around the climate change activism of current Apple board member Al Gore.

Proposals for the Dream Act date back to 2001, but the measure has never made it through the US Congress. It would let immigrants under 30 who came to the US when they were under 15 earn legal residence through a series of procedures and fees, so long as they've lived in the country for over five years. In an interview with Yahoo, Jobs says she became interested in the Dream Act because of College Track, an after-school program started in 1997 to help poor high school students get ready for college. She adds that she and Guggenheim wanted a "demystification," to "put a face" on the people the Dream Act would help. Jobs rarely grants interviews. Even while her late husband was alive, she typically stayed out of the media spotlight.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:44 AM. )

mr_strat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2013, 04:52 PM

If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2013, 05:21 PM

And if you already live there through no choice of your own and are already integrated and a useful citizen, **** THE HELL OFF TO WHERE YOUR PARENTS BROUGHT YOU IN FROM.

(or did you just miss the "under 15" bit?)

beb
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2013, 08:56 PM

It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 PM

Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.
Sssssshhhhh! They don't like to be reminded of that.

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 23, 2013, 02:48 PM

people still trust al gore??

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by beb View Post
It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.
Just to clarify - many, even most, illegals in the United States (talking about Latinos here) pay taxes. They use falsified Social Security numbers and they do pay taxes. This doesn't account for everyone in the US illegally, but not everyone is just a freeloader.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mr_strat View Post
If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.
Absorbing aspects of other cultures is what makes countries like this so interesting. Do you enjoy eating non-American food?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
people still trust al gore??

Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 25, 2013, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?
Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2013, 02:46 AM

Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?

Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 25, 2013, 03:05 PM

Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.
Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2013, 03:30 PM

Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps.

Have you thought about taking up badminton?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 27, 2013, 05:03 AM

Have you thought about taking up badminton?
Tried the Flip Ball Stick. Just not for me

I really think you might like the cork pop gun though.... It's best for the Clinically Insane.

( Last edited by blahblahbber; Jan 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules