Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP! Uninstalling 10.2 Developer Preview

HELP! Uninstalling 10.2 Developer Preview
Nhoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2002, 06:49 AM

I foolishly installed '10.2 developer preview' over 10.1.5. I choose the second install option (back up previous) and now have a folder called 'Previous System 7.22.2002'.

10.2 is very nice, but has some bugs and it tells me i will not be able to upgrade to the full version of Jaguar from the preview version.

How do i revert back to 10.1.5?

Please help!!

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2002, 06:57 AM

back up data. wipe drive. install 10.1. there are reasons it's called a developer preview...

i wouldn't play with trying to revert back to the 10.1 system folder...

Forcer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2002, 06:58 AM

I hope you know a bit of unix

Well, its not especially hard - but knowing a bit about the folders OS X creates is not a bad idea.

What I would do (actually did) is to go into OS 9, then use a utility like File Buddy to show all OS X's hidden folders (usr, bin, private, var, etc, ++) in your Previous installation folder, then drag and replace all (all the folders, not just those who sounds like unix) of the 10.2 ones at the root of your hd.

Good luck hope you understood this - explanation is not always my strong side

Nhoj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2002, 07:12 AM

thanks for the (very) quick replies.

i'm going to back up my files, then try Forcer's suggestion of copying over the directories in os9.

is there anything else I should know?

i'm a mac newbie, and know nothing about unix.

Forcer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2002, 07:16 AM

I don't think there's anything else.. except that you should indeed _copy_ the files and _don't_ delete them before you are sure everything works

You might also want to backup everything you want to keep on the disk in case it all screws up and leaves you with a mac with no system folder. And, of course, have a 10.1 install handy.

And concerning the quick replies.. hehe.. I'm just sitting here at work doing nothing anyhoo

<small>[ 07-23-2002, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Forcer ]</small>

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2002, 11:23 AM

It's SO easy, pick your computer up and throw it away... then buy another computer...

Nhoj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 05:27 AM

Wow - that was a nerve-wracking night!

But thanks to Forcer's advice, I'm back on 10.1.5! Worked a treat dispite me never having used File Buddy before. So thanks again Forcer, much appreciated.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2002, 07:10 AM

Threads requesting assistance pirating Jaguar or other software as well as threads requesting technical support for pirated software are inappropriate and will be locked or deleted. Repeated failure to comply with these guidelines will result in the termination of your account.

Forcer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 08:02 AM

Just to be picky - this thread was more about _stopping_ to use it than actually pirating it..

But oh well, not that it matters.

Nhoj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 08:38 AM

Who said anything about it being pirate sw?

I actually have an set of original developer preview disks.

lordshaq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 09:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nhoj:
<strong>Who said anything about it being pirate sw?

I actually have an set of original developer preview disks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">LOL - Right, if you actually had the "developer preview disks", you probably would not be here asking for help. Matter of fact, you'd VERY likely have a dedicated partition to install this seed, and not be poking around with installing over a 10.1.5 system. But thats just me.

-R

Forum Links
Forum Rules