Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Issues In Ditching iMac For Portable Mac?

Issues In Ditching iMac For Portable Mac?
kindred9x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2017, 06:52 PM

How to Clean Shoes with Baking Soda

Wearing shoes makes you look cooler and more comfortable https://www.footguru.net However, shoes are likely to get dirty and removing stains is a challengeable task. There are many effective ways to help you overcome this difficulty. Have you ever heard about how to clean shoes with baking soda? Keep on reading and discover the great benefits that baking soda brings to you. To get the best result, you need combining baking soda with some types of necessary ingredients.

Baking Soda And Peroxide

As you know, baking soda combines well with hydrogen peroxide and water to create a powerful mixture for cleaning. The preparation is very important for the best efficiency. In addition to baking soda, water, and hydrogen peroxide, you need to have a small bowl and a toothbrush. This method should happen in sunny days.

After picking all large dirty pieces on the shoes, remember to divide these ingredients into the appropriate portions. More specifically, mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 tablespoon of warm water and peroxide. Then, dip a toothbrush into the mixture and rub the dirty areas. Wait about 30 minutes for the baking soda to absorb into the shoe surface. When the mixture starts becoming dry, rinse your shoes completely with water. The more you repeat this step, the better result you can get.
Baking Soda And Vinegar

Another best way to deal with a pair of dirty shoes is using the combination of baking soda and vinegar. Learn how to clean shoes with baking soda and vinegar as below.

The first important step is removing your shoelaces. This requirement helps display the white parts of the shoes for better cleaning ability. Soak the shoelaces into soap and warm water to help them have a brighter appearance. If your shoelaces are too old, purchase the new ones at the shoe stores.

After that, place the shoes under a faucet and wash thoroughly them by cold water. This contributes to removing stains left on the shoe surface. It is advisable for you to use cold water because warm water may ruin your shoes because of running colors.

The next step is creating the mixture of baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda comes with 2 parts, whereas, the vinegar holds 3 parts. Pour the mixture into a plastic bowl, not the metal one to avoid a bad reaction. For cleaning shoes, white vinegar is a better solution than the red type. After these steps finish, you will have a thin paste of baking soda. Use this effective paste to scrub on the dirty areas. There is no difficulty in completing this task. All you need is dipping the toothbrush into the liquid and rubbing the affected areas. Remember to clean both inside and outside of the shoes, especially the areas with stains.

Wash your shoes again before putting them into the washing machine. This prevents the bad effect of the vinegar on your machine. While the washing machine works, it often produces powerful strength on your shoes. Therefore, you should keep shoes in a laundry bag before tossing them into the machine.

Lastly, hang your shoes under sunlight and wait few minutes for them to dry. The sun has the great impact on brightening your shoes as well. Avoid using a dryer because it can make your shoes change their shape.

Baking Soda And Water

A simple way to get rid of stains on your shoes is making use of baking soda and water. Let us introduce how to clean shoes with baking soda and water as the followings. You need preparing several necessary things such as a small bowl, a toothbrush, paper towels, and a bottle of water. Then, pour water into the small bowl. After dipping the toothbrush into the water, you continue to dip it into the baking soda. Alternatively, stir the mixture of baking soda and water together with equal portions. One part of baking soda should combine well with 3 parts of vinegar. Scrub the dirty areas with the effective toothbrush. Repeat this action several times to get the best efficiency.

Keep in mind that the amount of water should be suitable with the amount of baking soda. Then, use old paper towels to blot the shoe surface. A toothbrush is responsible for removing all leftover pieces of soda.

Baking Soda And Laundry Detergent

We ensure that you will get a good result after applying this method on your dirty shoes. All you need is mixing soda, warm water, and laundry detergent in a small bowl. After these steps finish, you will have an effective paste for getting rid of spots on the shoe surface. Use a toothbrush to remove debris on the shoes. Next, stuff the newspaper into the shoes and let them free overnight. It promises to make you surprised on the next morning.

Tips and Warnings

Besides baking soda, some natural things are very effective in removing dirty spots in your shoes like powder cleaner, lemon juice, vegetable oil soap, etc…If you want to clean leather shoes, remember not to soak them in the water to avoid unexpected damaging. The baby powder is very useful in getting rid of stains in much polish leather shoes. By dipping a soft cloth into the baby powder, it can reduce your shoe polish well. Moreover, although chlorine bleach has a great function in whitening, you should not apply for this medicine on your shoes because of the risk of discoloration.

In a word, there is no need of going outside for a service; you can completely clean your dirty shoes with DIY methods. One of the most effective ways to get the best result is taking advantage of baking soda. Soda has a powerful strength in cleaning, isn’t it? Let’s enjoy the eye-catching appearance of your new shoes when you know how to clean shoes with baking soda.
( Last edited by kindred9x; Mar 28, 2018 at 03:03 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Nov 30, 2017, 07:24 PM

The 15" MacBookPro (2011 through early-2013) is affected by a solder-failure issue which eventually disables the discreet GPU. Apple has a repair extension program, but they just swap boards. The issue will eventually recur. There are workarounds to the GPU failure, but they have limitations. If possible, avoid the affected models.

If you do CPU-intensive loads, a notebook has far smaller heatsinks and fans than a desktop. The fans will ramp up much faster. In this case, get at least a quad-core to give yourself more headroom.

OreoCookie
Nov 30, 2017, 07:30 PM

I have a 2012 Mac Pro and a 2015 13" MacBook Pro at work, so allow me to chime in. Let me assume now you have to decide between a new iMac and a new MacBook Pro:

(1) Nothing really. Clamshell mode can be finicky as it tends to move windows around when you change resolution. But that's about it.

(2) I still use a 27" Apple Cinema Display.

(3) Notebooks are quite fast, only if you consistently load them and need more than 2 or 4 cores for a prolonged time, are notebooks slower. The SSD in MacBooks is just as fast and for short bursts, so is the CPU. In fact, core-by-core, my 2-core MacBook Pro is significantly faster than my 12-core Mac Pro. You can really tell browsing the web, compiling TeX code and other things that do not make use of more than 2 cores.

If you place a load on them for a long time, desktops will handle it more gracefully, they will have larger thermal headroom, fans won't spin up as much and in case of the Mac Pro, I still have plenty of cores twiddling their collective thumbs.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2017, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The SSD in MacBooks is just as fast
My current model MBP almost hits 2GB/second. It’s actually kinda insane.

P
Dec 1, 2017, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by kindred9x View Post
I've long used an iMac for most of my work and am ready to upgrade. But occasionally I need the portability of notebook. My 6/7-year-old white plastic and heavy Macbook, though, is just about at the end of its useful life.
So I'm thinking of investing in a Mac portable and a large external display, rather than an iMac this time. For those who have gone this route, can you help with the following questions, please?

1. Any major issues to look out for?
2. What ex. display are you using and would you buy the same brand again?
3. What do you miss about going portable vs using a desktop? And will you continue with portable computing?

Thank you!
1) Dongles, and the associated feature of being easy to connect to and from the external display and keyboard. Look at what you need to connect and figure out the exact setup of adapters that you will need. There are a lot of things to look out for here - USB-C is a step forward, but has odd limitations. Thunderbolt docks are great, but expensive.
2) LG 27MU67, a 4K 27" display that acts as a Retina display under MacOS. I love it, and I would recommend that you get a 4K display so it can be run in Retina mode. As for LG... their panels are great, their interface is terrible, but then I don't sit in that interface playing with the brightness all day.
3) I miss the raw power. A 13" comes with a dualcore, not a quad (although 2018 may change things here) and the GPU is anemic compared to even an iMac. That last only matter for games, though - I game on a PC now, so it doesn't matter so much.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2017, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My current model MBP almost hits 2GB/second. It’s actually kinda insane.
I think mine is much slower than yours, 1.3 or 1.5 GB/s Oh, and my Mac Pro is dead last with ~500 MB/s. How did we ever live on floppy drives? I had to wait a minute or so to copy 880 kB.

P
Dec 1, 2017, 08:46 AM

Not a problem - the drives were faster than the CPUs. On the Mac Plus, if you connected an HDD, it had to be formatted with 3:1 interleave - that is, you write data in the first sector, then the fourth, then the seventh etc. The computer took so long to just receive the data from HDD and put it in RAM that two sectors had already whisked by by the time it was ready to read again. Read speed of the CPU was less than half of the read speed of the drive.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2017, 08:17 PM

I didn't know that, I was an Amiga guy back then and without a hard drive

And it wasn't just the drives, it was RAM — not speed, but size! Until I installed a “memory doubler” in my Amiga 500, I had to stop half-way and insert the blank disk, then exchange them again for the other half when making copies of floppy disks because 880 kB don't fit into 512 kB main memory!

Those were glorious times, my kids will make fun of me: (pointing to a 3.5" floppy) How many videos fit on this thing?

And I seem to remember that the early Commodore 5.25" floppy drives had their own computers built in with the same CPU as the main machine (something like a C64). Just imagine if your touch bar were driven by a Core i7 these days

P
Dec 2, 2017, 09:57 AM

I find it amusing that the floppy disk will remain in the public consciousness forever as the save icon, long after people have forgotten what it does.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2017, 01:17 PM

One of Gruber’s better insights is what would really suck about having to go back to 80s and 90s computing wouldn’t so much be the lack of mobile, or slower speeds, but how frickin starved we used to be for storage.

Remember SyQuest?

Forum Links
Forum Rules