Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Large format scanners

Large format scanners
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 10:45 AM

I'm looking to purchase a large format scanner for our library. Many of our faculty need to scan these large old textbooks, and so I'm trying to find a solution for them so that they don't have to scan sections of the page seperately. Something around Tabloid size would be great, but I'd be interested in anything bigger than legal size. Googling only gives me poster size commerical scanners, which is way more than we need or can afford.

Thanks for any help.
-Grover
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

meem
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2004, 11:16 AM

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 12:18 PM

bump:

I'm looking for a 12"x17" scanner, any recommendations in terms of price not being over a few hundred dollars?

grovberg  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 11:05 AM

My initial response is "Not gonna happen". I haven't seen anything that size below $1500 though it's been since I made the original post since I looked, so anything's possible.

For anyone who cares, we bought the Microtek below and ended up being really disappointed with it. Slow, mediocre quality, non standard (ie doesn't work with any TWAIN plugin).

Luckily the demand for the large format was so great that we were able to get a second scanner. This time we got the Epson Expression 10000XL and have been wildly pleased with it. It's everything the Microtek is not (quick, high quality and works prefectly with all our software). Highly recommended.
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules