Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > List of Terminal Commands

List of Terminal Commands
jfredrickson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 02:45 AM

Does anybody know where I can get a full list of terminal commands for OSX? I have been searching everywhere, but have only found semi-complete lists. I am trying to figure out how to create a new file directly from Terminal. It would be great if there were also a command that created a new file and then opened it in a specific application. I know that in the Windows command line you can simply type "notepad newfile.txt" and it will open notepad with that new file. Is there an equivalent for the Mac Terminal?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2006, 04:07 AM

There isn't really a "complete list." The list can vary depending on what you have installed and what shell you're using. For some idea, you could look at the contents of the /bin, /sbin and /usr/bin directories and check out man builtin for shell commands.

To directly answer your question: The touch command will create a new, empty file if none exists by the name specified. I think all of the command-line text editors will accept an invocation like "emacs cooldocument.txt". If an application doesn't have a command-line version, you can use the open command to open them in a GUI app.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

smitty825
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 12:57 AM

If you install either Text Wrangler or BBEdit, you can install the "command line tools" that go along with either of those apps. When you are in the terminal, you can type "edit <filename>" and open a new text file that way... (Text Wrangler is free)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 AM

Unix is rich with commands and functionality, I recommend that you pick up a book devoted to unix, such a unix in a nutshell or unix powertools, both of these provides a lot of information regarding unix and the shell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules