Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Did Intuit bother to show at MacWorld?

Did Intuit bother to show at MacWorld?
italy77
Jan 16, 2008, 09:41 AM

Does anyone know if Intuit showed up at this MacWorld? They still haven't announced Quiken 2008 for Mac.....

smitty825
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 10:03 AM

Yea, Intuit was there...

They announced that they canceled the "Quicken 2008" project, but instead are working on a ground-up rewrite in Cocoa for a UB release later this year. It's not going to be as full-featured as the current Quicken, though.

Here is a story on ars about it

luhnlaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 10:53 AM

Intuit might as well discontinue its Mac line - - it puts second-rate effort into it and delivers a predictably second-rate product (vis-a-vis its PC version). This is one of those rare times that I find myself wishing MS would put its resources into a MS Money for Mac version. Money is a better app than Quicken in the Windows version, and it would be wonderful to see MS kick the complacency and arrogance out of Intuit on the Mac front, too. As for alternatives, I was recently told of a new competing app, Moneydance. I have downloaded the trial version, but have not had a chance to play with it yet. At first glance, it looks promising - - and a lot less costly than Quicken. Might be worth getting feedback/posts on this thread from any who have put Moneydance through its paces. Here's the link:Moneydance� 2007 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac

italy77  (op)
Jan 16, 2008, 11:04 AM

Anyone know where I can sign up for the beta?

auribe14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 12:41 PM

Yes, I'm trying to sign up for the Beta as well. Sounds like they are taking names at the booth, wish I was there.

I'm going to have to see if I can find someone there that I know to do it for me.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 12:51 PM

It's not just Quicken that's lousy. Intuit's Automatic Update servers for Quickbooks went wonky about a month ago, and tried to push an update that didn't exist to customers. Some customers found that the autoupdate program created a file called "Desktop" in their home directories. Since that's also the name of the Desktop Folder, their desktop folder was overwritten.

I've sworn off Intuit products a long time ago. I've been helping our a small business owner with her Mac issues lately, and since her accountant uses Quickbooks then that's what she uses, too. Fortunately, she was smart enough to not accept the auto-update!

BTW, I use Moneydance. The interface is a bit raw, and there are certain things I can't get to work right (like automatically populating the proper interest/principal split on loans.) But I can live with its flaws, and the support on their online forums is pretty good.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 12:53 AM

Can you give some examples of features that will be left off of the new version of quicken? There is an article on it over at appleinsider.com and from the sound of it, it will be pretty well endowed with features. Most all of the ones I've come to expect seem to be there. They have also added a lot to the look and feel to make it a more mac-like app.

As far as alternatives, I've been using iBank for the last month. It is very quirky, but the devs are very good at patrolling their forums and listening to what users are saying about their product. They announced an update at macworld also, iBank 3. Their website is IGG Software, LLC - Beautiful, intuitive, powerful...the way Mac applications should be.. They have a limited function trial version that you can download and play around with.

After using iBank for a month, there are definitely some things they need to add to get their functionality close to what we expect as quicken users, but they are close. REAL close to having a winner. They have some screenshots of their new app. It has a very slick interface, much better than moneydance. It has been a long time since I've played with moneydance, but I remember it being a bit quirky as well. The other great thing about iBank is that they promise to have an iPhone version of their software as well. My wife and I had become addicted to using pocket quicken on our cell phones over the years and this is an absolute must for me in a financial program like this. I want to be able to enter transactions in the iPhone and have them upload to the database on the next sync.

auribe14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 10:01 AM

The only information out there, that I have found to date, is the appleinsider article you mentioned and the one from ars linked above. I agree, the ai one sounded much better in terms of possible features, but the ars one says not.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by smitty825 View Post
Yea, Intuit was there...

They announced that they canceled the "Quicken 2008" project, but instead are working on a ground-up rewrite in Cocoa for a UB release later this year. It's not going to be as full-featured as the current Quicken, though.

Here is a story on ars about it
And yet, customers will still buy it then complain that the Windows version is better.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2008, 03:55 PM

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 07:40 PM

In regards to TurboTax Deluxe... I just bought it. It's a universal binary, and is nice and fast. I haven't found any bugs yet. I think it might even be a Cocoa app. I was pleasantly surprised.

asxless
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 03:43 PM

TurboTax 2008 is OK BUT....
it is so brain dead that it can't open files that are not on the root volume - DUH. It just pops up a message that the file doesn't exist.

Worse yet, it then goes ahead and opens the last file it used on the root volume. Which can get a bit confusing if the two files happen to have the same name

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules