Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2008 HUGE memory leak!!!!

Office 2008 HUGE memory leak!!!!
DeeKat
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2009, 08:41 AM

I just bought and install Office 2008 and what a total disappointment!!!

When running a simple (small) word document, and after a while the fan of my MBP were spinning like crazy! So I check the activity monitor to discover that Word is taking up 1.3 Gig of Ram!!! It's ridiculous! 1.3Gig of fusk!ng Ram!!! Of course Word freezes and locks up, I have to quit and relaunch EVERY 30 min! I «control-S» every sentences! On one of the relaunches , I kept activity monitor open to observe Word's behavior, what happens is that on launch it takes up «only» 170Mb, but the apps keeps sucking up Ram like a vampire, you can see it go up! And it won't stop until it take up all the available ram. This is a HUGE memory leak!

Is it me? or it's bad code from Microsoft? Because if this is bad code I'm taking this POS software back to my Apple Store to get my money back and i'm downgrading back to office 2004!!! What a joke! downgrading an app because Microsh!t is't able to get their main software suite correctly!

And to make it clear, I ran the latest up dates (12.2.1) on Leopard.

And thanks you for letting me vent my frustration, it really helps! I feel better now!

But seriously, is anybody having the same problems?

[edit for spelling]
( Last edited by DeeKat; Sep 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM. )

colourfastt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DeeKat View Post
I just bought and install Office 2008 and what a total disappointment!!!

When running a simple (small) word document, and after a while the fan of my MBP were spinning like crazy! So I check the activity monitor to discover that Word is taking up 1.3 Gig of Ram!!! It's ridiculous! 1.3Gig of fusk!ng Ram!!! Of course Word freezes and locks up, I have to quit and relaunch EVERY 30 min! I «control-S» every sentences! On one of the relaunches , I kept activity monitor open to observe Word's behavior, what happens is that on launch it takes up «only» 170Mb, but the apps keeps sucking up Ram like a vampire, you can see it go up! And it won't stop until it take up all the available ram. This is a HUGE memory leak!

Is it me? or it's bad code from Microsoft? Because if this is bad code I'm taking this POS software back to my Apple Store to get my money back and i'm downgrading back to office 2004!!! What a joke! downgrading an app because Microsh!t is't able to get their main software suite correctly!

And to make it clear, I ran the latest up dates (12.2.1) on Leopard.

And thanks you for letting me vent my frustration, it really helps! I feel better now!

But seriously, is anybody having the same problems?

[edit for spelling]
Been running MSO for over a year (since I bought my first Mac) and have had NO problems, with the exception of Word crashing when I open a certain document which I suspect is corrupted.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 10:57 AM

When running a simple (small) word document, and after a while the fan of my MBP were spinning like crazy! So I check the activity monitor to discover that Word is taking up 1.3 Gig of Ram!!! It's ridiculous! 1.3Gig of fusk!ng Ram!!!
Virtual Memory or Real Memory ?

-t

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2009, 11:00 AM

I'm back with office 2004 and it runs like a charm! 130Mb of real Ram, no leaks, a mere 5% of CPU usage!!! PPC code running through an emulation layer runs better than Intel Code!!! What an absolute and total joke MicroSh!it is!

Now I can work...

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2009, 11:01 AM

Turtle777 : real memory! That's the problem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 11:03 AM

Yea, I can't really comment on Office 2008, I deliberately did not take the plunge from Office 2004.

-t

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yea, I can't really comment on Office 2008, I deliberately did not take the plunge from Office 2004.

-t
Good call, office 2004 is very stable. I just don't understand how can a software maker release such a buggy program. It's like they just don't care about their Mac business or what?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 11:10 AM

Good call, office 2004 is very stable. I just don't understand how can a software maker release such a buggy program. It's like they just don't care about their Mac business or what?
I don't know if it's buggy, I was more turned off by all the changes in he GUI.

Sames reason why I don't want to switch to the latest Office for PC version.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2009, 11:33 AM

I've had Word 2008 running without shutdown for the last 3 days. So far, it's taking up 131 MB of RAM. Seems to me like it's more a problem unique to your Mac than with Microsoft.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2009, 12:10 PM

I've never had any issues with MSO 2008 and the it's last update really seemed to speed it up (a lot). Great set of programs though I only use Word and Excel.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2009, 12:26 PM

I guest it's probably my system that is corrupt in some way, even if everything else is running fine. I'm due for a clean install at some point (my last one was with Tiger!). A clean install is sooo nice but such a pain in the $%? that my lazyness always wins and since office 2004 is running well, I wont touch anything until I have time to spare. But thank for the comments guys.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2009, 12:58 AM

Bonjour DeeKat

My 12.2.0 runs fine - never crashes - no memory issues. I use it on a Macbook, MBP and Air. As mentioned above - the recent updates have markedly improved speed.

Bonne chance!

~P

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2009, 07:36 PM

What was the private memory usage?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2009, 08:25 PM

That's definitely unusual, and not something that you should be seeing. Are you running the latest 10.5.8 patches to Leopard? If not, definitely do that first. Otherwise, you could always try these fixes, in order of pain-in-the-ass-to-do:

1) Delete all the Office '08 preferences, profiles, etc by deleting these directories:
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/
~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/

(There are a few more you could try, but these should take care of most problems)

2) Uninstall and reinstall Office 2008. Something weird could have happened during the installation, and a fresh install might take care of it.

And of course, if all else fails, 3) Wiping OS X and reinstalling should take care of everything, plus make your system speedier across the board.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What was the private memory usage?
If you mean the real memory as oppose to the virtual one, yes. It's the real memory usage!

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
That's definitely unusual, and not something that you should be seeing. Are you running the latest 10.5.8 patches to Leopard? If not, definitely do that first. Otherwise, you could always try these fixes, in order of pain-in-the-ass-to-do:

1) Delete all the Office '08 preferences, profiles, etc by deleting these directories:
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/
~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/

(There are a few more you could try, but these should take care of most problems)

2) Uninstall and reinstall Office 2008. Something weird could have happened during the installation, and a fresh install might take care of it.

And of course, if all else fails, 3) Wiping OS X and reinstalling should take care of everything, plus make your system speedier across the board.
Yes I'm running the latest version of Leopard. And I did reintall Office twice!

Thank you very much for the troubleshooting tips, I'll try that when I have some time. The thing is I'm in the middle of a production rush directing a documentary Tv series and I cant afford any computer related delays. I'll fiddle with it this coming holidays, and I'll treat myself with a clean install of the whole system

I already deleted office 2008 and replaced it with Office 2004 and it's running very well. So at this point i'm telling myself «If it works, don't touch it!». Anways, I'm just happy a can get on with my work.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Bonjour DeeKat

My 12.2.0 runs fine - never crashes - no memory issues. I use it on a Macbook, MBP and Air. As mentioned above - the recent updates have markedly improved speed.

Bonne chance!

~P
Merci!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 12:14 AM

If you mean the real memory as oppose to the virtual one, yes. It's the real memory usage!
No, I mean what I said. Private memory usage, not real or virtual.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 01:23 AM

Anways, I'm just happy a can get on with my work.
That's the important part. Good luck with the documentary, and let us know if/when you have the spare time and patience to give it another shot!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2009, 08:41 PM

No, I mean what I said. Private memory usage, not real or virtual.
Sorry, I don't know what private memory is.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

It's an optional column to view in Activity Monitor.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Good luck with the documentary, and let us know if/when you have the spare time and patience to give it another shot!
Thanks! And I will most definitely have a shot at it at some point this fall.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 10:07 AM

Sorry, I don't know what private memory is.
When you run top it's in the column labeled RPRVT.

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2009, 05:13 PM

It's an optional column to view in Activity Monitor.
Ok, what's the difference between real memory and the private memory???

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2009, 01:50 AM

Ok, what's the difference between real memory and the private memory???
Resident private memory tells you how much memory the process plus its associated data are using with the exception of shared memory (also a column in top).

Resident shared memory tells you how much memory is being shared between this process and others in the system. Programs that have common components (libraries) can share these between each other. Shared resources are good since they reduce the load on your physical RAM.
( Last edited by Simon; Sep 20, 2009 at 01:56 AM. )

DeeKat  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Resident private memory tells you how much memory the process plus its associated data are using with the exception of shared memory (also a column in top).

Resident shared memory tells you how much memory is being shared between this process and others in the system. Programs that have common components (libraries) can share these between each other. Shared resources are good since they reduce the load on your physical RAM.
So... witch one is the REAL ram being used? the private memory?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2009, 04:47 PM

The private memory plus any part of shared memory used by that process.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 04:54 PM

I am running Office 2008 and it has lots of issues, but nothing as bad as OP is experiencing. There are some memory leaks, which is why I quite out every 24 hour. I get crashes with files over ~150 pages or so if I make a change that causes a page number change in the first 10 seconds of opening the file. I would reinstall if I was having the OP's issues and see if that helps.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules