Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet

February 9: HP-Palm's WebOS Tablet (Page 6)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 11:04 AM

Like I said before, the Beats Audio in HP's Envy notebooks sounds pretty good, at least as good as the surprisingly good 13" MacBook Pro. They didn't really try to over blow the bottom end, just strengthen the mid-range where laptops are generally very weak (especially HP's). Hopefully the same goes for the TouchPad.

freudling
Banned
Feb 19, 2011, 06:28 PM

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2011, 06:34 PM

Oh lookie, M$ borrowed from Apple again. :/

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Oh lookie, M$ borrowed from Apple again. :/
What?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Hands on HP-Palm TouchPad:

YouTube - Hands-on HP TouchPad with webOS
Very, very nice. It blows anything Android has to offer, at the moment, out of the water

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2011, 02:43 PM

Why is it so laggy with a dual-core cpu?

freudling
Banned
Feb 20, 2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Why is it so laggy with a dual-core cpu?
Where in the video is it laggy?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2011, 06:37 PM

It's not final hardware or software either.

Cold Warrior
Feb 20, 2011, 06:55 PM

I thought it looked fairly good. I didn't like the two identical mail icons in the status bar, it seemed redundant without being informative. Also, no video out from what the guy said, but I guess that is an easy fix in hardware.

It's no iOS yet.

freudling
Banned
Feb 20, 2011, 07:56 PM

webOS for the win. Putting iOS to shame.

Cold Warrior
Feb 20, 2011, 08:33 PM

n/m
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Feb 20, 2011 at 09:14 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2011, 03:58 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 18, 2011, 04:02 PM

This is only a minor setback.

P
Aug 18, 2011, 04:17 PM

Apparently the next thing for webOS is...refrigerators. Yup.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2011, 04:24 PM

And HP is getting out of the PC making game altogether. That's another major bombshell. They are the worlds biggest PC maker and they are just dropping it, BOOM, just like that.

Or rather, spinning it off, whatever that means...
( Last edited by ort888; Aug 18, 2011 at 04:34 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2011, 04:56 PM

This comment deserves a bump.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is only a minor setback.
"Tis only a flesh wound."

( Last edited by Stogieman; Aug 18, 2011 at 05:09 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
And HP is getting out of the PC making game altogether. That's another major bombshell. They are the worlds biggest PC maker and they are just dropping it, BOOM, just like that.

Or rather, spinning it off, whatever that means...
Which means that either ASUS or Lenovo will buy them, most likely. Another one bites the dust.

It might not be much longer before we end up with a single PC hardware manufacturer (that isn't Apple).

As for webOS, what a shame. I hope that HP just sells it back to Apple, seeing as most of Palm sprung from the Newton division anyway, and I think there's a lot of ideas that'd be great to see in iOS 6.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 05:56 PM

Not RIP webOS at all. It's being licensed, so maybe someone will put it on proper hardware.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Not RIP webOS at all. It's being licensed, so maybe someone will put it on proper hardware.
If only there were other companies capable of making proper hardware.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 06:39 PM

HTC? Samsung?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 06:59 PM

I really did wish for you to be right on this, if only to light a fire under Apple's ass.

Problem with lighting that fire is, they're surfing a massive wave, and their "competitors" aren't even paddling the same set yet, let alone lighting *anything* on the water.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2011, 10:46 PM

If TouchPad inventory gets put on fire sale (as opposed to HP simply recalling and destroying stock) I'll grab one. WebOS had become my favorite choice in the table race, and I only hadn't bought because I refuse to spend $500 for any secondary computer.

$349 at Woot a week ago is the new price to beat. Come on $199...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 18, 2011, 11:55 PM

I'm posting this from a TouchPad. I just got a new one today. I love it. Then I read that they are not going to make hardware for it anymore.

I do think webOS is better iOS in many respects, but I never said webOS would be successful with certainty. It's just my opinion and preference that I like it better than iOS.

This is really a shame. They hardly gave it a chance. And they botched the launch. Too expensive for 1 thing.

Make no mistake. This is an executive problem. It's not just webOS but their entire PC division. Leo Asshxle CEO obviously swooped in and has flashed a new business strategy, and boy is it all business. Printers and enterprise.

I doubt webOS will just die. Samsung or HTC could bite here. Both are in massive legal hot water, and so is Android. HTC has the balls and talent to make webOS a go. Maybe even Amazon. We'll see how this plays out.

In the meantime, loving my TouchPad. It's bloody awesome. And this news is very sad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 AM

"Sometime when we touch. . . haha, millions of hits!"

So HP's getting out of the PC and tablet biz. What's left that they produce? Wasteful, expensive inkjet printers?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 12:44 AM

That's what I was wondering. It appears that HP is trying to follow the IBM route... except that IBM phased themselves out of the consumer space far more progressively and all the while they had countless other areas of interest as a company.

Unlike IBM, consumer tech is the majority of HP's revenue pie.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2011, 01:47 AM

I'm posting this from a TouchPad. I just got a new one today. I love it. Then I read that they are not going to make hardware for it anymore.

In the meantime, loving my TouchPad. It's bloody awesome. And this news is very sad.
t's not to late to get your money back. You may get a better deal in the coming weeks.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2011, 03:01 AM

Any present board member who sanctioned the Palm purchase should be sacked right now, what a waste of money.

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
t's not to late to get your money back. You may get a better deal in the coming weeks.
Brand new, $250 total, including tax. I'm certain I got a screaming deal. For that price it was worth it to me. Imagine if they were that cheap? They might have sold millions like the Nook. It's in that low end price bracket.

P
Aug 19, 2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
If TouchPad inventory gets put on fire sale (as opposed to HP simply recalling and destroying stock) I'll grab one. WebOS had become my favorite choice in the table race, and I only hadn't bought because I refuse to spend $500 for any secondary computer.

$349 at Woot a week ago is the new price to beat. Come on $199...
I've been thinking the same thing, if only because all the dedicated eBook readers seem to suck.

As for buyers... Hard to see who would bite. Samsung already has their own smartphone OS called Bada. It's apparently a reasonably big seller in their native South Korea, and they are rumored to be focusing more on it now after the Googlorola thing. HTC is a possible, but they are at least safe in that they make WinMo stuff as well as Android. LG? Maybe.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 03:23 AM

Oh, if you're wondering where I got mine... Check out Vancouver Craigslist. It's flooded with them. Some used and many sealed in box. I found out that many of the new ones are being sold by FutureShop employees who were either given the tablets, or bought them at a price of $150. My guy wanted $330 and I talked him down to $250. Now's the time to snatch one up cheap if you're so inclined.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 03:37 AM

Sick price.

A guy on my Craigslist has a NIB unit for $280, negotiable. But I'm kinda cash dry at the moment so I'll have to wait for a solid deal online and charge it.

They're starting to dip below $300 on eBay already with Buy It Now.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Sick price.

A guy on my Craigslist has a NIB unit for $280, negotiable. But I'm kinda cash dry at the moment so I'll have to wait for a solid deal online and charge it.

They're starting to dip below $300 on eBay already with Buy It Now.
Ya, I don't have a ton of money right now, but when it's like $200ish... it's hard to say no. This is Nook territory... the TouchPad blows the Nook out of the water.

It's a damn fine tablet really. 1.2 GHz processor, wireless charging, 9.7" screen, good front facing camera (better than the iPad's), beats audio, some very decent Apps, and a lot of built in functionality like Synergy. You look at it this way, I think even the most devote Apple fanboy would have to admit the TouchPad is at least something, like half of what the iPad is. So if you can get it at half the price, you'll have yourself a nice little rig.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2011, 05:16 AM

Ya, I don't have a ton of money right now, but when it's like $200ish... it's hard to say no. This is Nook territory... the TouchPad blows the Nook out of the water.

It's a damn fine tablet really. 1.2 GHz processor, wireless charging, 9.7" screen, good front facing camera (better than the iPad's), beats audio, some very decent Apps, and a lot of built in functionality like Synergy. You look at it this way, I think even the most devote Apple fanboy would have to admit the TouchPad is at least something, like half of what the iPad is. So if you can get it at half the price, you'll have yourself a nice little rig.
If money was absolutely no object, I would consider picking one up for a curiosity, but I would have to do it knowing it would be a dead end. HP may continue to provide OS updates, but how likely are 3rd party developers to keep updating and patching their software.

It could never replace my iPad as I've integrated it into my job so completely and I doubt there are the apps out there that can match the functionality of those I depend on, but it would be fun to have it around the house for browsing, email, etc.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 05:32 AM

webOS Tweets of the Day

I'm not sure Mike Dell should be gloating about anything right now...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 05:35 AM

Michael Dell is a jackass.

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 01:22 PM

Where does HP go from here? I haven't read their annual report... but...

How much money can they make selling printers? In terms of enterprise, they're fighting for space in this market against Oracle and Cisco. Fighting with their Itanium hardware. Is this even going to go anywhere?

Is HP actually in trouble moving forward? I mean, as they fade away in terms of consumer products, their brand is going to fade. This would certainly hurt them no matter what market they're going after now. It's almost like a house of falling cards, just like RIM. A sinking ship.

Am I being alarmist or... what are your concerns?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 01:51 PM

I'll grab one for cheap when the xda guys figure out how to put Android on it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 07:08 PM

I watched a CNBC report on the company's plans, and like Lateralus said they're looking to become something like IBM. They claim there's going to be an 18 month transition and that they'll have appreciably lower revenues but higher margins from their new business model afterward. I'm still unclear as to what they plan to concentrate on selling. I thought PCs were absolutely core to their business.

It's pretty ironic to see Dell shooting his mouth off again (harkening back to his idiotic comments about Apple long ago), as if his company is doing such stellar business itself.

And it's pretty amazing for us as Apple fanatics. I always believed in Apple's future success even in the company's darkest days in the mid-1990s when we thought Sun was coming in to buy it out. But I don't think I ever dreamed that from the low point of 1996 or so that Apple would, around a decade and a half later, become the highest selling PC maker (with the iPad included) and arguably the highest selling smart phone vendor. Incredible.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 19, 2011 at 07:18 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 08:48 PM

$99 at Future Shop and Best Buy Canada.

( Last edited by Eug; Aug 19, 2011 at 09:02 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2011, 09:02 PM

Yep. They must have a lot of stock to clear out. $99 for 16GB and $150 for 32GB.

HP clears out, brings TouchPad down to as little as $100 | Electronista

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2011, 09:46 PM

Even at $100, what to do with it?

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 09:53 PM

Wow. Just wow. I guess I got ripped at $260. But what can you do. At least I didn't pay full price.

HP really has it in for webOS. Jesus. These prices are insane. HP is insane. The TouchPad is a good device. I'm using it a lot. The only good thing is that many people will buy... It'll help keep webOS alive a little longer.

Skype, FB and message integration in his is fantastic. Grab a TP while you still can at these prices. It's worth it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 10:02 PM

I'm going to grab a TouchPad tomorrow. I don't understand why the discounts are so deep, because Engadget's interview with DeWitt seems to say that development for webOS itself on the tablet will continue for the foreseeable future. Just not any new hardware.

I am thinking about not using it at all though and keeping it to remember what could have been.

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I'm going to grab a TouchPad tomorrow. I don't understand why the discounts are so deep, because Engadget's interview with DeWitt seems to say that development for webOS itself on the tablet will continue for the foreseeable future. Just not any new hardware.

I am thinking about not using it at all though and keeping it to remember what could have been.
The reason this stuff is happening is because HP is totally messed up from the top. They could be dead in 2 years. They are now operating in the dangerous ad hoc fashion that is destroying their business and brand.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't say HP are completely messed up. What I don't understand is this:

HP has one of the most profitable PC-building businesses in the world. They keep whining about Apple, but their profits are nothing to be ashamed of, and are sustainable for years, if not decades.

When the board of directors bought Palm, they weren't passionate about the product. Every Palm fanboy out there (myself included) knew that to get Palm on the road to success (and I'm not even talking about profitability) was going to take a vacuum of money. I had hope in HP though, because HP actually has that amount of money to put into Palm and turn them into a very successful product line. The only reason I can figure out why HP wouldn't want that anymore is because they hadn't actually thought through the purchase; it was an impulse buy, like so many smaller companies that get swallowed whole by huge corporations.

It took so freaking long to ship the TouchPad. It was announced pre-iPad 2 and should have shipped before the iPad 2. The Pre 3 could have had a fighting chance if it would have shipped before such heavy-hitters in the market like the Samsung Galaxy S II and the new BlackBerries (which are the closest to the Pre form factor and most enterprise-focused as the Pre). Instead, they seemed to have offered the Veer as a stopgap, which is a phone nobody was asking for, or wanted. Its only saving grace was that it was actually quite fast and well-built, but that's not enough to catch on when everybody wants 4" screens and good cameras, not tiny screens and EDoF lenses.

Anyway, ironically I woke up early today and reactivated my Pre Plus, which was a mistake. I really am longing for some good webOS hardware. Hopefully a company like HTC will be willing to oblige.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 10:31 PM

I am so all over this at midnight... Hopefully Amazon gets in on the pricing as well.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

freudling
Banned
Aug 19, 2011, 10:45 PM

FutureShops servers are getting hammered. Slow loads and errors. Best Buy in BC pretty much sold out. Both show sold out status online as well as in many stores. Wow, they must be selling these like crazy. These will all be sold in a day or 2.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 PM

"The TouchPad hardware was disassembled and reviewed. The HP TouchPad's Bill of Materials are stated at $318.15 with an assembly rate of $10."

Ouch.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2011, 10:49 PM

$100 on Amazon right now! But $12 shipping

Forum Links
Forum Rules