Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook Logic Board Repair Program

Ibook Logic Board Repair Program
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 08:43 PM

I just bought a used iBook G3 700 Mhz from a co-worker. I checked an it's serial # falls in the group that is in the Logic Board Repair program. Can I still get the logic board replaced or has the program run out?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2005, 09:15 PM

I think it runs indefinately.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2006, 12:30 AM

Unfortunately the Logic Board Replacement Program ended in March of 2005

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Unless theres been a change since then I think the free replacements are over.

If anyone knows otherwise or has been successfull in getting a replacement Logic Board after March share the knowledge. I have a dead iBook here and would be ecstatic if it could be repaired.
( Last edited by jdiddy; Jan 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM. )

murph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2006, 01:01 AM

Can I still get the logic board replaced or has the program run out?
I got my ancient iBook 500mhz done a few weeks ago. Done quickly and well. Nothing like a little class action lawsuit to get Apple acting all nice and friendly.

All kidding aside, they did a great job by me.

--murph
I still like the Amiga. You can't stop me!

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by murph
I got my ancient iBook 500mhz done a few weeks ago. Done quickly and well. Nothing like a little class action lawsuit to get Apple acting all nice and friendly.

All kidding aside, they did a great job by me.

--murph
Did you go instore or did you call it in? What did you have to say excatally to get them to fix it?

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 10:42 AM

So far the logic board seems fine. Although the hard drive is dead.....once in a while it boots but when I went to reload the OS it just clicked away...doesn't even show up in the disk utility....Even booted to Disk Warrior and nothing. Weird that when it did boot the error checking built into the hard drive showed no problems. He wants $400 for the iBook...the specs are..700Mhz G3, combo drive, etc.....I added 256 MB of ram....he included a carrying case and mouse....I knew the hard drive was bad so I expected this...but is $400 too steep or a good deal?

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2006, 12:12 PM

You could do this for the same price. Slower cpu but more ram and you don't have to spend money on a new hard drive.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/G3_600...p/g3600ib1.htm
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2006, 05:33 PM

I just moved my mouse to bring my screen up and it was scrambled. I called Apple, who told me that the program lasts for 3 years from when you purchased the iBook. I faxed them my receipt from Mac of All Trades. I bought the iBook in May of '05 and, since I bought it from an Apple reseller, my purchase date is honored and the Logic Board Repair Program is in effect for me until May of '08. Not only that, but I have 5 months of warranty left through Apple!

So, about the March '05 thing: if I bought my iBook in, say, March of '01, it would last until March of '05 since that's longer than 3 years. If I bought it in, say, May of '05, like I did, it lasts until May of '08 since that's 3 years. So it's 3 years or March of '05, whichever is longer. As long as your serial # is in the range on their website of course.

Apple definitely did right by me in this case.

The only drawback, if you can call it that, is that I just ordered an 80GB hard drive for my iBook that's supposed to arrive tomorrow via UPS. Since my iBook is still under warranty, I have to pay CompUSA to install it instead of doing it myself in order not to void the warranty.
( Last edited by JoshKurtz; Jan 5, 2006 at 05:45 PM. )
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules