Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How extreme is your razor?

View Poll Results: How extreme is your razor?
Poll Options:
Mach3 23 votes (31.51%)
Mach3 Turbo 22 votes (30.14%)
M3Power 5 votes (6.85%)
Other extreme razor 4 votes (5.48%)
Other non-extreme razor 15 votes (20.55%)
I'm a woman or pre-pubescent and therefore can't shave my face 4 votes (5.48%)
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll
How extreme is your razor?
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 12:19 PM

Gillette seems to have taken a page out of the Street Fighter book in naming its products. First it was the Mach 3, then Mach3 Turbo, now M3Power. I predict that soon Gillette will partner with Mountain Dew as their razors get more and more extreme.

I just have regular Mach3. Does anyone have the Mach 3 Turbo? How much more awesome is it than the regular Mach3? Am I a total poser for not having Turbo or M3Power?

Oh, and women's razors are inherently un-extreme, unless someone can provide a counterexample.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

I use (and love) the Mach3 Turbo, it's sleek, good shave. HOWEVER there is this spot right under my lower jaw (above the adam's apple) that I can't get to be baby-smooth. It's so hard to get a good angle on it...

I tried the M3 vibrating thing it didn't seem all that great to me, hard to get a close shave with the vibrating and all.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 12:27 PM

I use and like the original two blade Gillette.

Nothing special, but it cuts so much closer then an electric razor.

I don't know what they do to their blades, but I can tell a major difference between them and the generic/lower priced ones.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

Mach 3 Turbo is better than the Mach 3 for like three shaves. Then the ultra smooth coating crap runs out and the blades dull quickly. I prefer my regular Mach 3.
PS I think you can put a turbo blade on a regular body, don't quote me on that though.

benb
Jun 16, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
Mach 3 Turbo is better than the Mach 3 for like three shaves. Then the ultra smooth coating crap runs out and the blades dull quickly. I prefer my regular Mach 3.
PS I think you can put a turbo blade on a regular body, don't quote me on that though.
All true.

Blades are interchangeable.

That aloe strip does crap after half a week.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 12:52 PM

I bought a Schlick razor (I think it's Schlick, not sure right now and can't take a look given that I'm still at work) few years ago in Florida in a Publix (or Albertson, not sure either) with like a dozen of replacement blades. They offered money back if you're not completely satisfied, so I said what the fork, let's give it a shot.

To my surprise, it was quite good. I left my Mach3 in FL and took the Schlick home. However, after three years, I'm down to two blades left and I'm facing a serious problem: There are no Schlick razors in Germany, which means I'll have to think of a way to get some new blades. In the past few years, I always took some of'em back to Germany after I was returning home from visiting my folks in the US; yet lately, this has become quite a hassle.
Last time I was flying back to Germany, I took 36 replacement blades with me; which resulted in me getting strip-searched every time I was about to board a plane. Apparantly, blades for razors (that also includes Gillette and every other razor on this planet, so guys, watch out!) are considered dangerous terrorist weapons.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 12:55 PM

I think Schick should change their name to 'Schlick.'

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 12:59 PM

Is it Schick? Like I said, I really can't tell ya right now cause the razor is about 5 miles away in my very own bathroom, and as you probably already guessed, I am not

Edit: You're right, it's schick.com not schlick.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 01:02 PM

No worries, sounds funnier that way anyway.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 01:05 PM

Which is probably why I thought it was Schlick
Anyhow, the bottom line is: Schick razors are quite good, not available in Germany and razor blades are considered dangerous weapons (as are pretzels and Segways btw).

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2004, 01:22 PM

What about that new 4-blade one? I forgot who makes it.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 01:26 PM

I think it's the Wilkinson Quattro you are talking about: http://www.wilkinson-sword.co.uk/products/quattro/

benb
Jun 16, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
I think it's the Wilkinson Quattro you are talking about: http://www.wilkinson-sword.co.uk/products/quattro/
Wilkinson is Schick in the UK. So maybe you can just buy rebranded blades for your razor from them in Germany?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 01:44 PM

When will they stop? Now a 4 blade razor, with 2 "shave conditioning strips."

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 01:49 PM

benb:

Wait, Wilkinson is Schick? Are you serious? WHY THE FORK DIDN'T I KNOW??? I'm gonna have to look into that...

Edit:
Holy f*** you're right... my razor looks exactly like the Wilkinson FX Diamond. Oh man, I feel so goddamn stupid right now... now all I have to do is find out whether the FX Diamond has ever been on the German market, and if so, where to get the blades.
( Last edited by D'Espice; Jun 16, 2004 at 01:57 PM. )

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 01:54 PM

One of these I used to use a Gillette Sensor Excel or whatever, but the blades cost an arm and a leg but only last five minutes. So I tried one of those. Worked like a charm.

I'm in the UK, never heard of schick but I have Wilkinson-Sword.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2004, 01:54 PM

i got the m3power. i like it. i lost my mach3 and it is very similar to that. i have not used the mach3 in ages so i can't remember how it shaves, but the m3power gives me a really nice shave.

the vibrating, i can't say if it is that that is making the shave excellent or if it is the fact that the m3power is so similar to the mach3.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 02:02 PM

I just use those plain ol' disposable sissy razors. I am non-extreme ... to the extreme.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I just use those plain ol' disposable sissy razors. I am non-extreme ... to the extreme.
Those things tare my face apart!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 03:44 PM

I tried using the Sensor Excel 3 blade thing. Those blades last me forever! Maybe it is all of the Native American in me

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2004, 04:03 PM

For the record, my razor is better then your razor.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
You know what the only good thing about disposable razors is? They're disposable! *throws away MindFad's razors*

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 04:08 PM

You know what the only good thing about disposable razors is? They're disposable! *throws away MindFad's razors*
At least he doesn't need help in identifying his razors...

benb
Jun 16, 2004, 09:25 PM

benb:

Wait, Wilkinson is Schick? Are you serious? WHY THE FORK DIDN'T I KNOW??? I'm gonna have to look into that...

Edit:
Holy f*** you're right... my razor looks exactly like the Wilkinson FX Diamond. Oh man, I feel so goddamn stupid right now... now all I have to do is find out whether the FX Diamond has ever been on the German market, and if so, where to get the blades.
Heh. Don't feel bad. I never even heard of Wilkinson till this thread. I just see the Quattro ads on TV all the time, and when I went to the site it was the same razor!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2004, 09:28 PM

Mach3 Turbo.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

StephanieA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 10:15 PM

Hey, armpits, legs, and miscellaneous take up a lot of surface area, too. I use the Sensor 3. It works pretty well and has the triple blade dealie. Before, I used the Mach 3, which come to think of it may have been a slightly better razor than the Sensor 3.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I use and like the original two blade Gillette.
Same here.

I don't get the hype with all the blades...

Sh** Quattro ? Come on...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Those things tare my face apart!
tare ???

tare [ tair ] (plural tares)

noun

1. vetch plant: a trailing or scrambling vetch plant of Europe and North Africa that has compound leaves with paired leaflets and tendrils, and spikes of bluish or purplish flowers. Genus Vicia.

2. vetch seed: the seed of a vetch or tare

3. problematic weed: in the Bible, a weed found growing among crops, usually considered to be the darnel

[13th century. Origin uncertain.]

-t

as2
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 05:22 AM

I've got a Mach3 Turbo 'Champion' to be precise... it just meants it's in Ferrari Red!

At least that stops my brother nicking it.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2004, 05:51 AM

I use an extreme electric Braun shaver for my face (really cool thing) and for other body hair, I have a rather generic Gilette.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

as2
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 07:39 AM

Just found this on the BBC website in their 10 things we didn't know last week section...

British women are the most enthusiastic hair removers in Europe; those in Germany are the least, according to a survey by razor manufacturer Wilkinson.
Thought it was quite appropriate!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2004, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I tried using the Sensor Excel 3 blade thing. Those blades last me forever! Maybe it is all of the Native American in me
i saw those at the store the other day (i use the regular old mach 3 and an electric braun shaver thing). the packaging on the back is sorta funny. it says something about "for the best shaving experience, try the gilette mach 3 line of shavers."

how often does a product admit that its inferior? its weird.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 03:18 PM

My blades usually last approx. 2 to 3 months. I thought I purchased the Mach 3 Turbo, but it might have the just the Mach 3. It's been over 2 years since I purchased the 20 pack from Costco.

One thing I do that might help them last longer is I store the razor on my medicine cabinet shelf upside down, so the blade points to the air and dries quicker than back when I use to set it blade down into a drop of water. I wonder if I dipped it into a little vegitable oil if that would help it last longer. I suppose 2 to 3 months is long enough.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 03:30 PM

ya but the best part about the Turbo is you can shave AGAINST THE GRAIN....this is key! thats why i used it, and loved it. Now i use and love M3 Turbo.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 07:27 PM

Edit:
*drool* I miss my FX diamond blades :| they stopped selling them here ages ago... I wonder if they're sold anywhere else in the US.

For now I just use these cheap $3 4 packs of old spice disposables. They're sharp but they only last about a week or a week and a half. Damn I miss the fx diamonds.

edit: http://www.westons.com/acatalog/Onli....html#aWIL425M

( Last edited by Link; Jun 20, 2004 at 07:32 PM. )
Aloha

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 08:18 PM

I grew a beard so I could save those minutes each day.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Mithras (in some other razor thread):
Fuck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades
Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the fucking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened - the bastards went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, fuck it. We're going to five blades.

James M. Kilts CEO and President, The Gillette Company

Sure, we could go to four blades next, like the competition. That seems like the logical thing to do. After all, three worked out pretty well, and four is the next number after three. So let's play it safe. Let's make a thicker aloe strip and call it the Mach3SuperTurbo. Why innovate when we can follow? Oh, I know why: Because we're a business, that's why!

You think it's crazy? It is crazy. But I don't give a fuck From now on, we're the ones who have the edge in the multi-blade game. Are they the best a man can get? Fuck no. Gillette is the best a man can get.

What part of this don't you understand? If two blades is good, and three blades is better, obviously five blades would make us the best fucking razor that ever existed. Comprende? We didn't claw our way to the top of the razor game by clinging to the two-blade industry standard. We got here by taking chances. Well, five blades is the biggest chance of all.

Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent - I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

You're taking the "safety" part of "safety razor" too literally, grandma. Cut the strings and soar. Let's hit it. Let's roll. This is our chance to make razor history. Let's dream big. All you have to do is say that five blades can happen, and it will happen. If you aren't on board, then fuck you. And if you're on the board, then fuck you and your father. Hey, if I'm the only one who'll take risks, I'm sure as hell happy to hog all the glory when the five-blade razor becomes the shaving tool for the U.S. of "this is how we shave now" A.

People said we couldn't go to three. It'll cost a fortune to manufacture, they said. Well, we did it. Now some egghead in a lab is screaming "Five's crazy?" Well, perhaps he'd be more comfortable in the labs at Norelco, working on fucking electrics. Rotary blades, my white ass!

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we should just ride in Bic's wake and make pens. Ha! Not on your fucking life! The day I shadow a penny-ante outfit like Bic is the day I leave the razor game for good, and that won't happen until the day I die!

The market? Listen, we make the market. All we have to do is put her out there with a little jingle. It's as easy as, "Hey, shaving with anything less than five blades is like scraping your beard off with a dull hatchet." Or "You'll be so smooth, I could snort lines off of your chin." Try "Your neck is going to be so friggin' soft, someone's gonna walk up and tie a goddamn Cub Scout kerchief under it."

I know what you're thinking now: What'll people say? Mew mew mew. Oh, no, what will people say?! Grow the fuck up. When you're on top, people talk. That's the price you pay for being on top. Which Gillette is, always has been, and forever shall be, Amen, five blades, sweet Jesus in heaven.

Stop. I just had a stroke of genius. Are you ready? Open your mouth, baby birds, cause Mama's about to drop you one sweet, fat nightcrawler. Here she comes: Put another aloe strip on that fucker, too. That's right. Five blades, two strips, and make the second one lather. You heard me - the second strip lathers. It's a whole new way to think about shaving. Don't question it. Don't say a word. Just key the music, and call the chorus girls, because we're on the edge - the razor's edge - and I feel like dancing.

- The Onion
god i love that. never fails to crack me up.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2004, 10:01 PM

Mach 3 Turbo. But I haven't shaved in a few weeks, anyway.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2004, 11:36 AM

I have used an electric all my life. Most of them a Norelco triple header.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 11:47 AM

razor blades are considered dangerous weapons (as are pretzels and Segways btw).
Woah. I must've missed that one. Does that only apply to the explosive-tipped, armour-piercing pretzels, or does any old pretzel qualify?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2004, 11:48 AM

I've tried the M3Turbo, but it didn't seem noticeably better than my old standby, the regular Mach 3.

I remember back when the M3 was first introduced. I figured it was just hype, but I gave it a try and it really did offer a noticeable improvement over two blades. I'd be willing to bet that it's a point of diminishing returns, though.

The M3Power gives me the creeps. Is a vibrating razor even safe?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rsande
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 11:52 AM

1 razor blade = 2-3 months? Dang. You've never shaved your head, have you? If I want a close shave on my head, I got through a blade a day. Shaving every day. And by the time night falls, I'm thinking I need to shave it again before I go to bed. For this reason, I can never commit to a bald head for very long. Takes too much money! More than you save on shampoo, especially if you have a beard to wash anyway!

Oh yeah, Gillete Sensor Excel (II) and a Mach 3 Turbo.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 06:56 AM

my futuristic BRAUN FREEGLIDER !!

costed me a 150 bucks !!

whats wrong? I'll tell you whats wrong !!

alcoholic conditioner vaporises thru dispenser while being unused, so I should buy a new cartridge every 4 days ! I don't use it anymore.

The alcoholic conditioner caused my skin to become abnormally red. I use aftershave now. (smells better too)

The moving head cannot be used to shave between my throat and jawbone. You need to press hard, and a moving head prevents that.

I should have bought the 50$ model

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Talk2Angus
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2004, 08:55 AM

I use the Mach3 Turbo.
TALK2U Soon
Angus Pohl
Solutions Engineer
Durban
South Afica

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 09:54 AM

My favorite razor was the Wilkinson Xtreme because it gave me the best shave ever and also did last longer than any razor I have tried before...but it looks like they don't sell them anymore!!

That's why I now switched to the Mach3 Turbo and because those damn blades are way to expensive I also bought the Blade Master, it's a magnet the helps to keep your blades sharp and they last about 4x as long!(this really works, believe me)

Forum Links
Forum Rules