Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Why is my site broken in Firefox?

Why is my site broken in Firefox?
theJoKell
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2005, 11:48 PM

I'm having a huge problem with a new site I'm designing. Basically I created it all by hand in SubEthaEdit and CSSEdit and the code checks out as XHTML 1.0 Strict. This is the site:

http://www.countrymonkee.org/newsite/index.html

If you look at it in Safari it renders perfectly. If you look at it in IE6, it renders almost perfect (just have some width issues with that side bar on the left - that I can handle). However if you look at it in Firefox on any platform (I was using 1.0 on both my iBook and my PC), some major issues come up with that left side bar.

Basically the first box renders correctly. Then the second box loses the white background for the main content. Then the third box loses it's headline background and from then on all the boxes are just grey.

Can anyone give me some advice? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2005, 06:58 AM

It all comes down to case-sensitivity. CSS is case-sensitive if it's working with another case-sensitive format. HTML isn't case-sensitive, but XHTML is, and that's what is tripping you up.

In the case of headers, the CSS is defined for "SideBarItemHeader", but you only use that for your first two boxes; the rest use "sideBarItemHeader"; note the lowercase s in the second example.

In the case of backgrounds, the CSS is defined for "SidebarItemContent", but you only use this for your first box. The second one uses "SideBarItemContent" and the rest use "sideBarItemContent".

Firefox is actually rendering this correctly, while Safari and IE6 are not. Make all of the cases match, and you'll be fine.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

theJoKell  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2005, 09:34 AM

Doh! I'm such an idiot. Thank you so much, I never would have figured that out.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2005, 10:25 PM

with the IE6 issue - are you forcing IE6 into strict mode with the following doctype

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

or just letting it default back to Quirks mode (in which case you'll get IE5.5 type behaviours)

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by zzarg:
with the IE6 issue - are you forcing IE6 into strict mode with the following doctype

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

or just letting it default back to Quirks mode (in which case you'll get IE5.5 type behaviours)
That doctype you've shown would put it in 'standards compliant' mode, rather than 'strict' mode, per se.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Strict//EN">
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Forum Links
Forum Rules