Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9600's Modem Serial Port ??

9600's Modem Serial Port ??
IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Feb 4, 2001, 09:42 PM

I have a USR 56k Fax/Data External Modem I want to hook up to my 9600. The problem is finding a blasted cable. I can go to belkin.com and make a cable to fit but the end that hooks into the computer is shy one pin. Is this right? The pin layouts coinside with the one on the back of the computer, but one pin is missing from the cable connector. Is this right?

Thanks...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 05:39 AM

What you see on the back end of your 9600 is the 9-pin modification of the classic 8-pin socket. If you look carefully there is one pin, the 9th pin that is in the second row of pins that looks to be very closly configured compared to the rest of the pins in that socket. Your modem is only designed to use 8 of those pins. There were a few devices designed that pulled power out of hte 9th pin to operate themselves, or what we know today as bus power, like what is often done with USB devices. The cable that uses all 9-pins will only fit into a 9pin socket because of an adjustment in the cable that prevents it from being forced into an 8-pin socket.

Assuming that your modem has a power adapter on it, then you just need a normal 25 pin to 8 pin cable and forget about the 9th pin.

IFLY2HIGH  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2001, 01:07 AM

Cool!! Thanks for replying, this clears all the pin confusion up...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules