Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Internet browser advice for 2018?

Internet browser advice for 2018?
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2018, 01:13 PM

Internet browsing apps seem to be in a sorry state of affairs as of the last year or so. Well... Firefox is anyway. The blame can't be squarely placed on bugs in OSX 10.13 I don't think because I see these issues in every earlier OSX even back to the solid and stable 10.6.8.

I'm pretty sure a big part of this is buggy poorly written Youtube scripts battling adblock and crashing (memory leaks seems to be a big one here).

Running 10.6.8, I will need to flat out quit and restart Firefox after a few Youtube videos when they suddenly stop playing. 10.13.3 probably has whatever resources that stuff needs to run so it doesn't just hang. I happen to be using a machine grossly overpowered for just internet browsing so it powers through it like nothing's wrong but I'd still like to get to the bottom of this if possible. It isn't reasonable to see 20% CPU use and almost 6GB ram used on a quad core i7. On an older but faster C2D you'll see the same almost 6GB ram use and over 50% CPU use and get actual noticeable lags here and there.

I got turned off by Google Chrome initially with all the call home stuff. I've caught a few glimpses of Safari when downloading Firefox on a clean install that didn't exactly come across as inviting.

If this is all adblock related, are there any better options?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2018, 01:30 PM

Safari works fine.

andi*pandi
Feb 23, 2018, 03:04 PM

There's always Opera, haven't used it in years though.

On 10.6.8, what version of Firefox can you run? Is youtube using a flash player or HTML5?

mindwaves
Feb 27, 2018, 09:09 PM

iCab is always an option. I used to use it a lot because of the ability to turn off javascript so as to avoid the tons of pop-ups and pop-under windows back in the days.

Thorzdad
Feb 28, 2018, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
On 10.6.8, what version of Firefox can you run? Is youtube using a flash player or HTML5?
I was still on 10.6.8 not too long ago, and I’m pretty sure the version of Firefox I used was fairly up-to-date. Maybe a couple of versions prior to their new Quantum v57? I definitely know YouTube was HTML5. I was always surprised at how I could run the latest Firefox (but was stuck with an ancient version of Safari)

Of course, the issue now would be that you can’t get plugins and extentions for any version before v57. I upgraded from 10.6.8 before v57 was released, so I don’t know if it can run on the old OS. I would be surprised if it did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules