Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can get rid of a partition

Can get rid of a partition
kevs
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2018, 07:57 PM

If you partitioned a hardrive into 2, can you later make it 1 again? I've googled this and can't figure it out still.

Also I want to remove the password protection on it, thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 18, 2018, 09:29 PM

I assume you are using HFS+. Say you've partitioned a drive like this: [______1______][___2___]

Disk Utility can delete partition #2 without disturbing #1.
-- If #2 is deleted, then #1 can be grown to take up more space.

Partition #1 cannot be deleted by Disk Utility, but it can be shrunk. If you wipe the data in it, it can be shrunk down to almost nothing.
-- After shrinking #1, #2 can be grown. However, I don't know if DU can do this resize without losing data.

Password protection (FileVault?) can be removed. If you plan to delete that partition though, you don't need to remove the encryption first.

I use the 3rd party tool iPartition myself. Though I have to revert any CoreStorage volumes to plain volumes first. And it cannot yet handle APFS, since Apple hasn't documented APFS yet. Also, iPartition will not modify partitions on the boot volume. You have to boot from another disk to make changes.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2018, 09:42 PM

Reader, I have no idea are the partitions actually numbered, 1 an 2

All I can say is that one is 450 gb the other is 50 gb and I want them both unified to 500 gb.

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2018, 11:26 AM

that sounds like two partitions to me.

Thorzdad
Mar 19, 2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
If you partitioned a hardrive into 2, can you later make it 1 again? I've googled this and can't figure it out still.
Yes, you can.
Please note that you will first need to move any files you may have in the second partition into the first partition (or an external drive if they won't all fit.) If you don't move the files from the second partition, they will be erased when you delete the partition.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2018, 02:01 PM

T yes I know. This is just back OS. ok to erase whole drive. I've gone into DU, don't see a way to ...

Delete the smaller partition, and make the drive whole again..

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2018, 05:41 PM

When you select the volume (the physical hard drive), there should be a “Partition” item in the menu bar.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules