Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Powerbook Latch Help!

17" Powerbook Latch Help!
swimfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 03:03 PM

I just got a new 1ghz 17" Powerbook and I have a questions for people that already own one. When I shut the lid, the latch doesn't hold the screen securely to the rest of the laptop. There are a couple millimeters of play. When I carry the laptop I can hear the screen clicking back and forth between the laptop itself. I already owned a 12" Powerbook and the lid was always securely held against the rest of the computer. Has anyone experienced this? Do you think this would be something covered by Apple Care?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2004, 08:50 PM

That sounds normal for the 17". It would only be covered by AppleCare if it were abnormal or defective.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

rturpen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2004, 09:24 PM

Anybody making custom sized "Rubber baby buggy bumpers" to put around the screen? I'd buy a set. I've been think about checking to see what home depot might have. If I get around to trying it, I'll post back here.

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2004, 01:22 PM

I have a 17" PB as well - plenty of give when closed - in fact, the edges started to show rub marks - Apple replaced the bezel around the screen where it had rubbed the silver finish off to the black base - they only did this because I had a problem with my screen - otherwise they would not have because it's a "cosmetic issue." I bought RadTech's Wildeeps (rubber bumpers) to prevent this from happening. DO NOT buy something at Home Despot - buy the Wildeeps - they are specifically made for PowerBooks.
Wherever you go... there you are.

djjava
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by swimfan:
I just got a new 1ghz 17" Powerbook and I have a questions for people that already own one. When I shut the lid, the latch doesn't hold the screen securely to the rest of the laptop. There are a couple millimeters of play. When I carry the laptop I can hear the screen clicking back and forth between the laptop itself. I already owned a 12" Powerbook and the lid was always securely held against the rest of the computer. Has anyone experienced this? Do you think this would be something covered by Apple Care?
I'd call apple care anyway. Let them know the "aesthetic problem" (as they call it) exists. That way, if it does cause a problem in the future, they have you on record about it.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 03:59 PM

I agree that there is that space between the CPU and the screen on my 17" PowerBook as well. However, seeing that the space is the same on the back corners (at the hinge side of business) as it is at the latch, I would assume that it's the intended design they were going for. The space on all three sides of mine are equally spaced. If they weren't, then I'd agree that there's a problem.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules