Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > does NU5.0 Boot

does NU5.0 Boot
llaboo
Oct 14, 1999, 03:51 PM

Does the copy of Norton Boot from the CD or is it not working in general.

garretwp
Oct 15, 1999, 06:40 AM

When i run norton disk doctor it wont run all the way through is anyone else having this problem?

Garrett

Rugby-[cmg]
Oct 15, 1999, 04:02 PM

I haven't gotten it to run properly on my Beige G3 with the retail version of OS 9 on it.

Theo
Oct 16, 1999, 09:11 AM

Norton 5.0 works fine here on OS 9. I got a 7600/G3 400. The only incompatibility is wih Filesaver which doesn't know about Mutliple users, and when that is enabled, it will ALWAYS scan your disks after a restart thinking that the machine went through an "improper shutdown". No other harm done, and Norton Disk Doctor has worked fine, although I haven't used it to fix my startup volume while the System is running from it. Symantec says they will issue a compatibility statement on the week of the 23rd, and I hope it inlcudes an update too! But, basically version 5 can be used right now to do the main things, including optimizing disks under OS 9.

Clyd3
Oct 18, 1999, 09:57 PM

I have also not had any problems with NU 5, except for the FileSaver issue. I upgraded my NU in preparation for the OS 9 release.

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 1999, 05:14 AM

I had problems with NUM5 but I figured out how to fix them. I initially noticed that login would crash at startup then continued booting; then freezing after a short while. Force quitting revealed that the FileSaver extension was getting in the way, so i disabled all Norton extensions except Norton Shared Lib, which is required to actually use NUM5 on a bare system. From there, I got a clean reboot with no problems but no NUM5 protection. I then re-enabled all NUM5 extensions just as they were installed then....
Opened the FileSaver control panel and turned off ALL checkboxes for protection, deletion tracking.. everything. I figured somehow it was trying to scan at startup even though I had it unchecked. After disabling ALL protection at ALL times.. I hesitantly rebooted. Everything went okay, login didn't crash, and I'm happy. I then enabled FileSaver's update/deletion tracking.. BUT made sure it scans ONLY at shutdown or before a disk ejection. Other instances may cause NUM5 to interfere with other MacOS 9 functions. My guess is that MacOS 9 causes NUM5 to somehow initialize its scan preferences to run right after booting-- getting it stuck during login! If you uncheck all protection, reboot, then re-enable protection, it works! My system has been running fine ever since!

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia www.47ronin.com

[This message has been edited by 47Ronin (edited 10-19-1999).]
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules