Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9's security...

OS 9's security...
wlee14
Oct 19, 1999, 03:57 PM

Hello,

I am concerned with the new security features provided by OS 9 and have 2 q. about it:

1. Is the login screen and other security features built-into the OS itself ? Or just bunch of
extensions ?

2. Also, could the login screen and other security features be by-passed by booting the machine with extensions off or with the OS 9 cd ?

Thanks

Will

wadekainer
Oct 19, 1999, 07:14 PM

I think the new multi-user login features are more for convenience rather than security. There is an application to encrypt individual files which is supposedly very secure, however, from what I've heard, multi-user features can be bypassed by booting from another volume. It seems not to be driver-level security ala DiskLock.

park74
Oct 20, 1999, 12:02 PM

I am running OS 9 and I have played with the multiple users a little bit. If you boot with extensions off and multiple users was enabled you must enter the owner password before you are allowed into the finder. So it seems that it is somewhat secure. I'm sure it could be defeated without to much hassle, for example by booting off of a CD, etc. But it's enough to keep your average Joe out of thinges they shouldn't be in. If you really want to keep people out of files, etc - encrypt them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules