Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Overclockers, I have a question

Overclockers, I have a question
chadseld
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 12:56 AM

So those tiny 1k ohm resistors, what happens if you were to oh say... drop them into the carpet and wanted to get back to the original settings? Can a solder blob do the trick, or is it really important to get that 1k ohm of resistance in there?

chad
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 01:54 AM

I'll go on record as saying I've tried doing the 'solder-blob' resistor repair on a Slocket adapter card and it worked fine. A Slocket converts a socket-type Pentium/Celeron CPU into a slot-type CPU for use in Slot1 motherboards. It's a printed circuit board with edge connectors and a ZIF socket for the CPU...the resistors are alongside the CPU socket and I chipped one off while latching the heatsink mounting clip.

If it doesn't work (or acts unstable later) you can use a desoldering wick to remove the solder-blob. If you know what size and value of resistor you need, I prolly have one.
*empty space*

Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 01:55 AM

Any computer work near or around carpet is pretty much asking for trouble. Whether static electricity or "loosing" stuff in it. I'am not sure, but I would be pretty confident in saying that you are screwed unless you have a resistor. A blob of solder will probably screw it up even more.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 03:15 AM

What's wrong with radio shack's resistors?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

chadseld  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
<STRONG>What's wrong with radio shack's resistors?</STRONG>
Does Radio Shack sell those? I didn't think to look. They are those tiny (like 1 milimeter long) circuit-board mounted resistors. Maybe I can snatch one off some old busted computer junk I hay laying about the house.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 01:38 PM

It's completely lost? What, you got deep shag or something?
------
Friend of All Cats.

chadseld  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Nep2ne:
<STRONG>It's completely lost? What, you got deep shag or something? </STRONG>
Well you see, you really have to see one to get an idea of how small it is. You could fit +8 of them inside a BB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules