Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will someone PLEEEEEASE write a Graphics card overclocking utility for the Mac!!!

Will someone PLEEEEEASE write a Graphics card overclocking utility for the Mac!!!
roders
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 10:29 PM

Will someone PLEEEEEEAAAASEEE write one of these for Nvida and maybe ATI cards for the Mac.
On the PC it is commonoly known that an Nvidia card will happily overclock to the spped of the model above it in that product line.
I've got my Gefoce 3 Ti200 running faster than a Geforce 3 Ti500 with NO extra cooling or anything, Apple nueters the clock speeds of all their cards slightly compared to the PC versions (to make them more stable, or to save them money....) I mean Nvidia has even built in the ability to overclock the GPU and ram into their drivers on the PC (I wonder how easily this feature would transfer to the Mac?). Also someone could put in switches for FSAA and Anisotropic (did I spell that right ) filtering etc.
There's to much bollocks floating around about Mac game performance, like Omni supposedly getting better frame rates in Giants on a DP500 with GF2MX than on a 1.4Ghz AMD, with a 266 FSB, & GF3; I own a DP800 with GF3 AND a 1.4Ghz AMD, with a 266 FSB, & GF3; the PC blows my Mac out of the water with games, and most other things for that matter. I'm only keeping it because under OSX it's more stable than my PC under XP (hardware issues with the MOBO) although XP is MUCH faster on my PC with 512MB ram than X is on my DP with 768MB Ram.
Sorry about the rant, but for those that like gaming on their Mac's, the
"ante" needs to be upped, fast, and an app like this would do the job nicely.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: roders ]

Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 01:42 AM

AMEN TO THAT! On my PC I bought the first wave of original GF3's. I have it modified a bit and have the memory set to 560MHZ and the core to 250MHZ. Quite a big jump from the stock settings! Overclocking video cards have saved me money in the long run...especially with nvidia. They usually release new cards in the spring, then refreshes with higher clocks in the fall. Usually I'll purchase a spring card and by the time the refreshes come out in fall...I already match or beat them! I use PowerStrips on my PC, but nvidia also has built in overclocking slides in their drivers. Oh how excited I would be it that was implemented in OSX or a 3rd party app. I'd be willing to shell out $50 for one!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 14, 2002, 09:41 AM

I re-read this post and am wondering if with the advent of the fact
that 10.2 with increased dependence on supported graphics cards
if someone will write a utility to accelerate the graphics cards.

I think until someone actually writes a utility the overclocking of
the graphics cards is not going to happen for the Mac.

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 09:44 AM

Where can i get that App to overclock the processor?

Any help...
CHRIS SMITH

Sarc
Mac Elite
May 14, 2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by maffioso:
<STRONG>Where can i get that App to overclock the processor?

Any help...</STRONG>
you can't
you have to physically mess with the electronics on the procesor board .. quite effctive though ...

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

iamnid
Senior User
May 17, 2002, 12:18 AM

I read on xlr8yourmac.com that the new Geforce 4Ti doesn't have heatsyncs on its memory modules like it's PC counterpart does-- they speculated this was because the pc version could be overclocked and the mac version couldn't -- do you think it's possible that overclocking it could lead to overheated memory?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 17, 2002, 12:41 AM

Wtf?! You WANT heatsinks on your memory?

geez, next they'll be using fans on their chipsets!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 07:22 AM

How xcan writing some software assist with the overclocking if the speed iof the card is determined by placement of actual eldectronic components on the card? Like overclocking a G4 with a control panel.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>How xcan writing some software assist with the overclocking if the speed iof the card is determined by placement of actual eldectronic components on the card? Like overclocking a G4 with a control panel.</STRONG>

You can adjust the clockspeed of the GPU and memory bus using software - the speed is not governed by the placement of the components.

Most PeeCees can be overclocked using software, too. The clock generator chips (PLL IC) usually offer several FSB settings. If overclocking your CPU gets boring, adjustments to the RAM timing, CPU cache latency, and other cool stuff are just a mouse click away.
www.h-oda.com
*empty space*

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 10:17 AM

Can you please post the link for the program that will let me overclock my PC...

Thanks
CHRIS SMITH

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 19, 2002, 08:10 PM

If this doesn't work on your PC, look for an app called "CPUfsb". It's pretty common.
http://www.overclockers-network.com/...s/sfsb17g1.exe
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules