Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do I overclock my original Radeon 32mb AGP?

How do I overclock my original Radeon 32mb AGP?
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2002, 09:49 AM

Hi guys,

I have just bought one of these cards to go into my G4/350 AGP. I wondered if anyone knows how to overclock it? I think it can be overclocked but, so far, I haven't been able to find any instructions on how to do it?

Cheers,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2002, 11:17 AM

I've been using a PC for years and have finally seen the "light" in the past year or so. I use a program on my pc called PowerStrips which allows overclocking with just about any video card. It's nice being able to buy the middle of the road video card and overclock it past the top of the line one I have yet to see an application that allows similar controls for the mac. I'am really surprised that no one has wrote something for the mac platform. I have my PC's GF3 overclocked 560MHZ Memory, and 245MHZ on the core which is way above stock settings....now if I could only do that for my Mac GF3..anyone have any suggestions?

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2002, 07:32 PM

do you think it would work if i used this utility 'powerstrip' via virtual pc 5, to try and overclock my radeon.?
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

mac freak
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2002, 03:00 AM

VPC has no access to your video card. Sorry man
Be happy.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2002, 04:13 AM

Well the shareware market is wide open for a Mac app that flashes video card ROM for overclocking. I'd pay $5-$10 for a Radeon overclocking utility, no problem. Anyone up for the challenge?

Might not hurt to ask at www.xlr8yourmac.com discussion boards, there are many technically inclined folk over there.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

roders
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2002, 05:58 AM

I have a PC and an overclocked GF3 Ti (via the Nvidia control panel and the cool bits registry hack) If I've overclocked the/a crad on my PC, will it remain overclocked when I insert it in my Mac (i.e.does it change anything in the Vid cards bios) or is it a purely software thing?
P.S I'm getting an Apple GF3 for my new DP800 (YUMMMMMM!) so I'm wondering if I should try overclocking it on my PC and then sticking it back in my Mac, that is assuming it works in my PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules