Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple Store Financing Woes + Waiting Times

Apple Store Financing Woes + Waiting Times
Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 11:46 AM

My wife and I decided on one of the new powermacs. We knew the high end have quite a shipping delay so we purchased a dual 1ghz through the apple loan program. We were accepted and simply ordered the system and thought it was a done deal. We financed because there's no payments till Nov and by then we should be able to pay the entire thing off by then. Anyway, the wait on shipping is listed at 1-3 days. Great! Well, I added a 120GIG HDD, GeFORCE 4 ti, and 512megs. To my astonishment I received the email from the apple store with a wait time of 2-3 weeks! I've called the apple store to ask about some speakers before I placed an order and I was on hold for 27 mins exactly. Is buying from Apple directly always this inefficient? We ordered the mid range system so that we could have it soon. Heck, I thought there was a backorder on them, but while browsing CompUSA yesterday I noticed they have them in stock. Please don't tell me apple takes 2-3 weeks to install a HDD, one stick of memory, and a simple video card!? Please post your experiences.

Blake Bowden  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 11:49 AM

On hold with Apple right now...approximate wait time...a wonderful 30 mins! ARGH!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 12:16 PM

Wait times on CTO purchases are always long with a new product. I think Apple is trying fill the distribution channel with stock models and so that's what they're churning out. My experience has been that the build time drops considerably once a model has been out a while.

FWIW, that lead time might also be Apple's way of covering their rear end. It might ship sooner than that. I have had very good luck ordering online.

BobVB
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2002, 11:15 PM

Well I ordered a stock dual 1 GHz at 7am on the day of release and as of this morning I still was 'being assembled'. Maybe they are sending them all to the Apple Stores?

(I cancelled my order there and went to MacMall - they are giving 512 MB of RAM for $39, don't charge sales tax, and had them in stock.)

peter_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 04:23 AM

I ordered one of the new machines on Friday and as of Tuesday it was being shipped. Should arrive today or tomorrow, and it was BTO aswell.

Cadilon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2002, 09:46 AM

Well, add me to the list of those anxiously waiting. Ordered the 867 with upgraded GeForce4 Titanium on August 14. The order was "processed" on the 16th (I think this is just reviewing your payment and submitting the order). As of this minute, the order still says its being reviewed - thats seven long days and I haven't even made it to assembly yet!

I've called apple no less than three times and each time they've claimed it would ship by the end of this week, which I assume would be by friday the 23rd. It had better fly through assembly or it ain't gonna make it!

Heres to hope!

Forum Links
Forum Rules