Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Electric Shavers

Electric Shavers
tinrib
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 09:42 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations? Philishave style (with 'wheels') vs. Foils, etc. - comfort/closeness.

I am not looking to spend lots. I don't need an LCD display. Sideburn trimmer handy but fairly standard anyway afaik. I am edging towards the philishaves. Anyone got anything to say?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 09:44 PM

The brAun one that cleans itself in alcohol gets extra points for coolness, I'll tell ya that. I've always used a straight razor though.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2003, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
The brAun one that cleans itself in alcohol gets extra points for coolness, I'll tell ya that. I've always used a straight razor though.
Yea, that looks pretty cool.. don't know how it shaves though.

I've had one of these (an older one):
http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...lexAction_2002
and love it.

marusin
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 10:26 PM

I have that Braun that you are talking about (that cleans itself) and have to vouch that it's the best electric razor I've had (had several other Braun's, Philips, etc)...

It's nice to use a razor that every morning feels like it's brand new... That in itself is awesome. Also, the cartridges that you buy that contain the cleaning fluid last about 2-3 months a piece (daily use minus the usual "Saturday Growth")...

Get one, you won't be sorry!

tinrib  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
I have that Braun that you are talking about (that cleans itself) and have to vouch that it's the best electric razor I've had (had several other Braun's, Philips, etc)...

It's nice to use a razor that every morning feels like it's brand new... That in itself is awesome. Also, the cartridges that you buy that contain the cleaning fluid last about 2-3 months a piece (daily use minus the usual "Saturday Growth")...

Get one, you won't be sorry!
I am not looking to spend that much money - the Braun 7505 is AU$250 - apart from the self cleaning thing though - you like the braun flex design? You prefer the foil heads over the rotary heads? You sound like you have tried them all, so what problems have you come across?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2003, 10:46 PM

I'm always on the lookout for a better shaver. I used to use a Braun foil, now I use a Norelco (the US version of Philips) rotary. Both have their merits and I'm not sure which way I'll go next time. The last time Consumer Reports did a review of them, they found no difference in effectiveness. It's pretty much a matter of personal taste.

The foil is easy to use because you just use a straight up-and-down motion. This works great where your beard grows in the same direction, but requires extra attention where your beard grows in different directions. The rotary requires a circular motion (which for me is a little less intuitive - I keep wanting to move it straight up-and-down), but tends to do a better job of cutting hairs that go in different directions.

Also, the foil doesn't conform to the contours of the chin as well as the rotary. On the other hand, the foil is easier to get closer to the nostrils. I also find that it's harder to get a clean cut around the sideburns with the rotary.

The rotaries are probably higher in maintenance cost because there are three cutters, etc., which are probably more expensive to replace, although I'm not sure.

I wouldn't get one of those complicated ones with built-in moisturizers and what-not. All that will get you is higher maintenance and I don't think they work any better.

There's a website (I think it's called electricshaver.com) that has info and opinions on shavers. I'll probably get a foil next time, just for a change.

I feel like an idiot talking so much about shavers, but since it's something I do every day, what the hell.
( Last edited by zigzag; Jan 8, 2003 at 10:58 PM. )

marusin
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 11:43 PM

I understand the cost... I had a gift certificate for my local Target and kicked in the additional funds...

Between the rotary heads (Norelco/Philips) and the Braun foil heads, I like the foil heads... My Braun allows me to to trim things "exactly" and not "approximately" (the edge of the head of the Braun is the edge that you're shaving to, not the extra room surrounding the rotary heads)...

I would go with the Braun in my opinion (whether it's self-cleaning or not)...

Originally posted by tinrib:
I am not looking to spend that much money - the Braun 7505 is AU$250 - apart from the self cleaning thing though - you like the braun flex design? You prefer the foil heads over the rotary heads? You sound like you have tried them all, so what problems have you come across?

marusin
Senior User
Jan 8, 2003, 11:45 PM

Sorry, double post
( Last edited by marusin; Jan 9, 2003 at 10:33 AM. )

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2003, 12:30 AM

Electric shaver? Bah... can't beat a blade

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 01:17 AM

Tough to shave your own head with a blade though (I tried it once, it took forever, amazingly I didn't cut myself though). But in terms of closeness you are correct sir, nothing beats a blade. I'm just too damn lazy for 'em anymore.

I bought a cheap Norelco a few years back and I've loved it. It's the wheel type blade. I think it set me back all of $50.00, but it's been very reliable. The ones I see at the stores now are crazy, some have all the bells and whistles and are like $120.00 I've been tempted to "upgrade" to a newer model, however.

When I was a kid (like 18 ish) I had my dad get me one of those remington microscreen electric razors and it sucked. That had the flat screen type blade on it. This P.O.S. was soor poorly constructed that the blades under the screen would literally eat holes in the screen itself. Pure Crap!! It absolutely sucked and I went back to disposable's and shaving cream (and back to knicks, cuts and the styptic pencil) for many years after that. When I started shaving my head many years after that I started looking into electric's again (I also have a regular barber shop style electric clippers as-well).

The upside to shaving with a blade has always been that I could shave tomorrow morning and go a full 2 days without any noticable stubble growing back in. If I skip one day using the elctric, I'll have some pretty knappy stubble by that same second day.

In terms of cost versus disposable blades I think it's also much better. If I keep them properly cleaned with denatured alcohol, I get like 6 months out of the blades on the electric before they need to be replaced. The replacements are like $25.00. I was spending a sh_tload more than that on disposables, shaving cream, etc., etc.

Anyway, yeah If I ever upgrade it'll be another Norelco.

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Jan 9, 2003 at 01:22 AM. )

tinrib  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 02:48 AM

Thanks - I was thinking phlishave (rotary) but now I am edging towards the braun flex integral or whatever it is called. Won't be buying until tomorrow now though, so if anyone else has anything to say...

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2003, 02:49 AM

i have the braun syncro 7000. its nice the only problem is the alcohol smell after cleaning lingers for quite a while. good shave though. i think i'll always go foil over rotary.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 9, 2003, 05:20 AM

Try this too, whatever you get:

It's only since I started using it that using an electric has become truly comfortable and post-shave rash free.

Thrax
Banned
Jan 9, 2003, 05:23 AM

I like Norelco shavers. Close shave, no pain whatsoever.

As always, the more you pay, the better product you get.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 05:36 AM

Pssh. All you need is a Mach3.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Pssh. All you need is a Mach3.
to be honest, i prefer the sensor excel. But I really want something more convenient. Something I can use in the car on the way to my (imaginary) job. shaving is a pain.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 07:06 AM

engaged can you use that oil with an electric shaver? I have the norelco one...

thirsty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:03 AM

PHILISHAVE AQUAGENIC Sensetec 8894

This is one mother of a shaver, fully water proof so you open the top and wash away the hairs, it is adjustable to different skin types and with the pivoiting heads it just flows around your face.
But the best thing and the clincher for me was the Battery. It's a Lithium ion battery - fully charged it will give you 100 Minutes shaving time. and has a 6 min quick charge if you need it and haven't fully recharged it. Li-on Batteries are more relaiable the Nickel Cadium as found in most other shavers.

This is my 3rd Philishave in 17 years, and by far the best I have ever used, i was tempted to the Braun but the realiabilty of Philishave the Pivioting heads, and that Batttery sealed the deal.

Then one can say if it's good enough for James Bond it's good enough for me!
( Ahhhh the Joy of Product placements ) The shaver is featured in Die Another Day.

Last but not least - this is not a cheap electric shaver but in my opinion it is worth it at $479 AU . If i can get another 9 years out of this one then it's worth every cent.

Anyway you may not buy this one but at least give it some good consideration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2003, 09:50 AM

I second the Mach 3. I got one with a 20 pack of blades for Christmas. Best. Gift. Ever. I use the flip up thing on my electric if I get extra scruffy. But for the smooth sailing the Mach 3 is the bomb. And I've hated macs my entire life.

engaged
Jan 9, 2003, 10:02 AM

engaged can you use that oil with an electric shaver? I have the norelco one...
Yup.

Try them - they may send you a free sample.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 03:51 PM

Anyone ever try one of those lotioning razors:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...spensingRazors

Looked like a decent idea, but I'm picturing a really gunked up looking machine in like a week.

If that were auto cleaning... maybe.

Anyone try it?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Thrax:
I like Norelco shavers. Close shave, no pain whatsoever.

As always, the more you pay, the better product you get.
I'm a Norelco user also, just purchased the Quadra Action Shaving System for $80. Able to clean with water.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 02:32 AM

argh. I bought one, a braun XP 5610. apparently, foils are better for more sensitive skin, and seeing as I had never had an electric shaver before, I thought I would be better off getting that. It is washable in water, which was a feature I reckoned would be very useful and would probably make it easier to keep the shaver 'like new'.

However, I just tried it out, and to be honest I didn't get a very good shave. It seemed to miss a lot of hairs and I had to go over the same spots a number of times to get it all off. In some places,(cheeks, for example), it is a close shave. However, in other spots (under my chin, not right in the middle, but one either side) it isn't close at all. My skin doesn't really feel that good after using it either. Is this a normal reaction to a first electric shaver?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 06:42 AM

For getting rid of the discomfort try the shaving oil (I get mine from David Jones) else Aramis do an electric lotion thingy
( Last edited by simonjames; Jan 10, 2003 at 06:56 AM. )

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 06:48 AM

I use a somewhat inexpensive Norelco that dispenses Nivea shaving lotion at the press of a button. It works really well and you can rinse it off right under the faucet.

Thrax
Banned
Jan 10, 2003, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
My skin doesn't really feel that good after using it either. Is this a normal reaction to a first electric shaver?
Yes. Your skin will get used to it after a week or three. It should say something about this in the manual.

(Too polite to mention that I suggested Norelco.)

Thrax
Banned
Jan 10, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
I use a somewhat inexpensive Norelco that dispenses Nivea shaving lotion at the press of a button. It works really well and you can rinse it off right under the faucet.
That's a shaver I never even considered buying. Every Norelco manual mentions that you have to wait for your face to dry before using it (the shaver, not my face).

I've found this to be very true. I can't get my Norelco to move around my face smoothly until it (my face, not the shaver) has been dry for several minutes. Considering that shaving gel adds moisture to skin, how does this make it better?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Thrax:
That's a shaver I never even considered buying. Every Norelco manual mentions that you have to wait for your face to dry before using it (the shaver, not my face).

I've found this to be very true. I can't get my Norelco to move around my face smoothly until it (my face, not the shaver) has been dry for several minutes. Considering that shaving gel adds moisture to skin, how does this make it better?
You can use the Advantage razors wet or dry, but I've found that the lotion makes for a more confortable shave with my particular machine and leaves the skin softer afterwards as well. If you want to use it dry it's good to have a completely dry face for maximum effectiveness, but when you have a layer of lotion lubricating your face it's different than having a moist face. I was skeptical when I first bought it, but Norelco was running a "Try this and like it, we'll give you $20 off" promotion and I ended up ditching my Sensor Excel.

tinrib  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:19 AM

I am glad to hear that it should get better after a couple of weeks. The Rotary/Foil decision was mainly decided by price, so ppl who recommended the Norelco please don't be offended. A shaver that dispenses Nivea seems to be a bit of an unnecessary extravagance... couldn't I just put nivea on my face in the traditional way?

I am interested in the shaving oil. Do you put this on your face before or after shaving, or do you put it on the blades like the machine oil?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:21 AM

tinrib returns! No longer 1337 though.

engaged
Jan 10, 2003, 08:28 AM

I am interested in the shaving oil. Do you put this on your face before or after shaving, or do you put it on the blades like the machine oil?
You put it on a few minutes before shaving. I just find that it stops any friction or burning. Using a balm afterwards really helps.

Am always envious of people that can shave easily (either wet or dry) without looking decidedly awful afterward...

gadster
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:40 AM

I've heard Microsoft is bringing one out soon, to match the watch.
e-gads

tinrib  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Cellery:
tinrib returns! No longer 1337 though.
oh crap!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
argh. I bought one, a braun XP 5610. apparently, foils are better for more sensitive skin, and seeing as I had never had an electric shaver before, I thought I would be better off getting that. It is washable in water, which was a feature I reckoned would be very useful and would probably make it easier to keep the shaver 'like new'.

However, I just tried it out, and to be honest I didn't get a very good shave. It seemed to miss a lot of hairs and I had to go over the same spots a number of times to get it all off. In some places,(cheeks, for example), it is a close shave. However, in other spots (under my chin, not right in the middle, but one either side) it isn't close at all. My skin doesn't really feel that good after using it either. Is this a normal reaction to a first electric shaver?
That's all normal - I've used both foils and rotaries and have always had the same problems. I switched to a rotary thinking it would do better, but you still have to go over spots, especially under the chin. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

There's no getting around the fact that shavers aren't as close as blades and can't get the longer hairs as easily. I use a shaver because it's convenient and because blades are too hard on my skin.

tintub
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 08:01 AM

Things are improving. I bought that King of Shaves oil. It smells really nice (Eucalyptus-y), and definitely reduces the friction from the shaver (is that that it is supposed to do or is there more)? It does miss the odd hair, but I can use the pop-up trimmer to get rid of those. In comparison to using a blade, it is so convenient. Being freelance/unemployed, I rarely had an incentive to bother to shave, but NOW I can shave every day!

Thanks for the tips ppl!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2003, 06:09 PM

I have the Braun flex minus the Clean&Charge unit. Got it for X-Mas. Love it!!!!!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 06:17 PM

i rock the Mach3, there pricy but i can squeeze a couple weeks out of a blade.

But as i am a college student, and have no job right now, i am just letting nature take hold, with a weeks growth right now its not bad.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2003, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
You put it on a few minutes before shaving. I just find that it stops any friction or burning. Using a balm afterwards really helps.

Am always envious of people that can shave easily (either wet or dry) without looking decidedly awful afterward...
I found dry, after a hot shower to open the pours works the best for me.

Sometimes when it's too dry, a little lotion makes all the diferance, or else the friction tears the skin, then it becomes a mess.

To dry is aweful, to moist is bad. there's a fine balance for a perfect shave.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2003, 12:38 AM

They have a simple version of that. It just does not clean its self. Thats what I have. Awesome. But seriously, dont thinking about 'spending that much money'. You buy this thing once. Thats it. No need to get anything else for a long time.

Originally posted by tinrib:
Change your world and you will change your mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules