Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > wtb: IBM thinkpad, older model right around $100

wtb: IBM thinkpad, older model right around $100
sledsbehave
Senior User
Mar 16, 2007, 01:13 PM

i've been looking for an old thinkpad to run IE for testing and some linux OS testing as well... i've looked all over eBay and the prices seem a little high considering most of the thinkpads don't have hard drives or AC adapters or at least something missing.

i really don't need top of the line, obviously the more powerful i can get is better.

a 12" screen at least, right around 500mhz, 256 RAM, 6gb hard drive, CD rom...

an ethernet port would be nice, but i will most likely buy a wireless card...

i have a 45w apple power adapter, 3 prong... that was sent to me by mistake. i found a radio shack power cord that will work with it, but i never used it after i got the original power adapter.

i have an iTrip that came with my 4th gen ipod, as well as a firewire wall charger for ipod...

i could trade all of those and the $100 for a little more thinkpad
as ever,
sonny

Kevin83165
Mar 18, 2007, 09:17 PM

I have just what you need.

An IBM Thinkpad 600X
500 MHz
192 megs ram
Brand spankin new battery, not even one cycle yet!
Also brand new CMOS battery
14 gig hard drive
Great condition! Right now it has Windows 98SE on it. Cosmetically it is wonderful, I can take some pics if you like. I ran Linux on this for a long time. It is 14" screen, PCMCIA slot (and with enough arm twisting I might include a Linksys wireless card brand new since I no longer have anything that requires one)

I have been pondering on letting it go for over a year now, but I think it's finally time. If this interests you let me know!

[email protected]
( Last edited by Kevin83165; Mar 18, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot some specs)

sledsbehave  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin83165 View Post
I have just what you need.

An IBM Thinkpad 600X
500 MHz
192 megs ram
Brand spankin new battery, not even one cycle yet!
Also brand new CMOS battery
14 gig hard drive
Great condition! Right now it has Windows 98SE on it. Cosmetically it is wonderful, I can take some pics if you like. I ran Linux on this for a long time. It is 14" screen, PCMCIA slot (and with enough arm twisting I might include a Linksys wireless card brand new since I no longer have anything that requires one)

I have been pondering on letting it go for over a year now, but I think it's finally time. If this interests you let me know!

[email protected]
can you email me pics or post them here?

[email protected]

sounds like just what i need.
as ever,
sonny

Kevin83165
Mar 19, 2007, 11:00 AM

Pics emailed.

Also I mentioned that I might throw in a PCMCIA card, I will do this but please be aware there are no native drivers for this paticular card for Linux. I personally used a Netgear MA401 which is based on the Prism2 chipset, and works right out of the box. I mangled it on an experiment on a buddys laptop where we were trying to mod an external antenna so I pitched it . The Linksys, however, works with Ndiswrapper.

Let me know if you got them ok and if I can help you any further

Thanks
Kevin
( Last edited by Kevin83165; Mar 19, 2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: learn to spell)

Forum Links
Forum Rules