Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro does not boot

Macbook Pro does not boot
Remxed
Apr 6, 2009, 06:51 PM

Hi, I have an old 2.4 ghz C2D macbook pro from 2007. Today, it wouldn't wake up from sleep so I did a hard shut down.

When I tried to start it up again, I hear the normal optical drive spin, but the screen remains blank. I don't get to the gray beach ball start up screen at all. The front LED light is on but is not blinking. Also, I don't think my USB ports are working because my external drives do not turn on.

I tried resetting the SMC and the p-RAM but those did not help. From what I've read online, I think it could be a problem with my RAM, but I'm still not sure.

If anyone knows what this problem is, can you please let me know? I don't want to go out and buy new RAM if it turns out to not be the problem. Thanks a lot!

oh, and yes I made sure my screen brightness was all the way up.

wrambro
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2009, 07:22 PM

Could be the logic board. A similar thing happened to an iMac at work and we had to replace the logic board and power supply. Do you have an external drive that you can try booting from? Or another Mac in Target Disk Mode? I suppose if the screen is just staying blank, it would be hard to boot from an external device.

My bet is your logic board is dead.

Remxed  (op)
Apr 6, 2009, 07:32 PM

yeah I just swapped my friend's ram and it didn't boot.. so it's not a ram problem

The next thing on my mind was the motherboard. I don't have any bootable external drive.

I really hope it's not the motherboard because repairing that basically means getting a new computer.

If anyone else has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 6, 2009, 07:54 PM

It's probably the graphics chip- a known problem with these computers and something that is covered past the end of the regular Apple warranty. Contact Apple and they should repair it free.

Remxed  (op)
Apr 6, 2009, 08:33 PM

ah I see. I found this support page and it looks promising: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

I already made an appointment to bring my Macbook Pro in to the Apple Store tomorrow. Hopefully this will be the issue because it will be much less of a hassle than the motherboard. Thanks a lot!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2009, 03:28 AM

The issues has been discussed in this thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules