Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D. : An Appreciation

Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D. : An Appreciation (Page 4)
OreoCookie
Dec 22, 2011, 02:53 PM

No, it's not about whether or not they give a shit, they intentionally play him down. He's relevant because he's currently one of the top 3 contenders in the Republican race. And that should be acknowledged by giving him an appropriate amount of screen time.

And even though I agree that he's also not sufficiently featured on non-Fox News, I get the distinct impression that the guys at Fox News (and other conservative media outlets) are really afraid of him being a serious contender for the candidacy.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 22, 2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
No, it's not about whether or not they give a shit, they intentionally play him down.
That's what I was getting at.
Indecision 2012 - Corn Polled Edition - Ron Paul & the Top Tier - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/15/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2011, 11:31 PM

a bro shout out to newt

he had an affair with his GEOMETRY TEACHER when he was in high school!!!!

part 2 of The Long March of Newt

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2011, 12:49 PM

Merry Christmas to all my anxious leftist friends and my optimistic conservative friends.
ebuddy

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2011, 12:22 AM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2011, 09:49 PM

Still liking Newt if he pairs up with Palin?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It certainly wouldn't enhance the attractiveness of the campaign. I'd rather somebody really smart than some rock star type personality/charismatic figure.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2011, 10:11 PM

That Nimrod Leroy Jenkins. What a tool.

Leeroy Jenkins - YouTube
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Nope. She's what you'd call bad Mojo.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2011, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Nope. She's what you'd call bad Mojo.
Which has me wondering why he'd say such a thing.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2011, 12:34 AM

He's looking for the quick hit of steam.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2011, 09:04 PM

Gingrich Floats Sarah Palin As Possible Vice President Pick

There's only one explanation for Gingrich's crazy talk: he doesn't want to be the nominee. He's only there to pretend to be Romney's credible opposition, and he's deliberately hurting his campaign because Romney has already been picked by the real power-brokers as the winner.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2012, 06:50 AM

Newt Gingrich | Mitt Romney | Political Action Committee | The Daily Caller

It's hilarious watching Gingrich whine that he's being fncked by Romney's millionaire buddies when he himself thinks millionaires should be allowed to fnck over all of the USA. That's pure karma.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 09:38 AM

Welp, that's enough for me. Back on ignore. It's amazing, I know that late series King of the Hill episode about Canadians coming to town is very poor objectively speaking, but in interacting with some Canadians recently. . . I increasingly see what the writers were going for there!

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He's looking for the quick hit of steam.
Never, in a trillion years would that happen. Newt's been asked the question repeatedly, and he's praised Palin each time in response. But picking her for the VP spot again? Does anyone seriously think in any possible universe that could happen? Newt would have to get a full frontal lobotomy first to allow for that. I mean, he'd have a better chance beating Obama if he were to dress in a Nazi uniform for the rest of the campaign than he would have with Palin as VP. I'm sure he's getting tired of having to field that little gem of a question repeatedly-it's a joke.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 4, 2012 at 09:46 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2012, 01:01 PM

Relax, all Newton Leroy said is that Palin would have to be "considered". Michael Palin has a better chance of getting picked as VP than Sarah.

She also would never accept a Cabinet position, because then she would have to actually be held responsible for what she says. In her current gig, she doesn't need to do that.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Never, in a trillion years would that happen. Newt's been asked the question repeatedly, and he's praised Palin each time in response. But picking her for the VP spot again? Does anyone seriously think in any possible universe that could happen? Newt would have to get a full frontal lobotomy first to allow for that. I mean, he'd have a better chance beating Obama if he were to dress in a Nazi uniform for the rest of the campaign than he would have with Palin as VP. I'm sure he's getting tired of having to field that little gem of a question repeatedly-it's a joke.
The hit of steam isn't from choosing her, it's from mentioning the possibility.

I agree. She's poison.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Newt would have to get a full frontal lobotomy first to allow for that.
This is Newt Gingrich we're talking about, a man who openly suggested making poor kids clean toilets in their own schools because they are so lazy. There is no idea too stupid for Gingrich.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2012, 11:17 PM

I love this page on Gingrich: In His Own Words.

1985: Gingrich calls Reagan's upcoming meeting with Mikhail Gorbachev ''the most dangerous summit for the West since Adolf Hitler met with Chamberlain in 1938 at Munich.''

Yes, the Reagan idolizer compared Reagan to a Nazi appeaser.

1994: He sums up his political philosophy: "People like me are what stand between us and Auschwitz. I see evil all around me every day."

Messiah-complex much?

2008: Gingrich tells Bill O'Reilly that "there is a gay and secular fascism in this country that wants to impose its will on the rest of us." The gay and secular fascist movement, Gingrich charges, is "prepared to use violence, to use harassment. I think it is prepared to use the government if it can get control of it."

This one sounds like Big Mac, who sees fascism everywhere.

2010: Gingrich argues that Muslims don't have a right to build a mosque in Lower Manhattan: "They're trying to make a case about supremacy…Nazis don't have the right to put up a sign next to the Holocaust museum in Washington."

There's no one Gingrich can't compare to Nazis, it seems.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2012, 11:28 PM

screener
Senior User
Jan 5, 2012, 03:25 PM

But, but, anyone is better than that "white muslim" don't ya know.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2012, 03:45 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by screener View Post
But, but, anyone is better than that "white muslim" don't ya know.

I've been trying to remember who coined that phrase, in what thread, and whether this was actually clarified.

I think it was Big Mac, but that's all I can remember.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2012, 09:14 PM

I just heard Jerry Pournelle talk about Newt. Apparently they've been friends for years. Jerry had an interesting spin on NLG:

"Newt's problem is he surrounds himself with smart people, and expects them to correct him when he says something stupid... which he does do."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2012, 07:26 AM

Gingrich has complained about Romney's SuperPAC, but now Gingrich's own SuperPAC has released a "documentary" on Romney's time at Bain. It's utterly unbelievable.

YouTube: When Mitt Romney Came To Town

I suppose it's only fair to criticize Romney for job loses he caused when he preaches so loudly about the umber of jobs he created. But this doc is really crude and low-brow.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 12:02 AM

Drudge is reporting Newt's ex is going to sink his campaign.
DRUDGE EXCLUSIVE: NEWT EX-WIFE UNLOADS ON CAMERA; NETWORK DEBATES 'ETHICS'
NEWT EX-WIFE UNLOADS ON CAMERA; NETWORK DEBATES 'ETHICS' OF AIRING BEFORE SC PRIMARY

**Exclusive**
Wed Jan 18 2012 18:47:14 ET

Marianne Gingrich has said she could end her ex-husband's career with a single interview.

Earlier this week, she sat before ABCNEWS cameras, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

She spoke to ABCNEWS reporter Brian Ross for two hours, and her explosive revelations are set to rock the trail.

But now a "civil war" has erupted inside of the network, an insider claims, on exactly when the confession will air!

MORE

ABCNEWS suits determined it would be "unethical" to run the Marianne Gingrich interview so close to the South Carolina Primary, a curious decision, one insider argued, since the network has aggressively been reporting on other candidates.

A decision was tentatively made to air the interview next Monday, after all votes have been counted.

Gingrich canceled a press conference on Wednesday to deal with the matter.

"He believes that what he says in public and how he lives don't have to be connected," Marianne Gingrich, Newt's wife of 18 years, explained to ESQUIRE last year.

Developing...

UPDATE: The AP reports ABC is now likely to air the segment Thursday on NIGHTLINE.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2012, 12:42 AM

If he doesn't finish in the top 3 in SC I'd bet he'd drop out anyway.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 01:04 PM

Well Perry just dropped out and endorsed Newt so it'll be difficult for him not to finish in the top 3 given recent polling numbers.

OAW

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I suppose it's only fair to criticize Romney for job loses he caused when he preaches so loudly about the umber of jobs he created.
Romeny doesn't impress me, and I can understand how the left can try to spin Romney's efforts this way, since many in that political spectrum demonstrate time and again that they don't appreciate basic economic principles, but how can a Republican do that?

If you take a business that is failing and not turning a profit - a business that is likely to face a total loss of jobs, and cut some of the jobs to save that business, how can you use that to point to total job losses? It's an example of "cutting your losses," not causing the situation that required job losses in the first place. Sacrificing some allowed for saving the rest.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2012, 01:35 PM

Except it's not liberals doing it this time around, it's all the other Republican candidates trying to cannibalize Romney. Especially Newton Leroy. "The Left" are just sitting around and watching, wishing they could do character assassination this well.

In other news. if Newton Leroy wins this thing, will he make "open marriages" legal?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2012, 01:42 PM

If he married the woman who didn't mind sharing him, I'm left thinking he's in an open marriage right now (The Tiffany's thing only strengthens that notion for me).

I wonder if there's another mistress lurking out there right now. And isn't open marriage a slippery slope to polygamy?

Guy knows how to keep things interesting.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
If he married the woman who didn't mind sharing him, I'm left thinking he's in an open marriage right now (The Tiffany's thing only strengthens that notion for me).

I wonder if there's another mistress lurking out there right now. And isn't open marriage a slippery slope to polygamy?

Guy knows how to keep things interesting.
It worked for Bill Clinton. He left office very popular and even managed to commit high crimes while in office and stay put. Maybe Newt is onto something!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
It worked for Bill Clinton. He left office very popular and even managed to commit high crimes while in office and stay put. Maybe Newt is onto something!
Your transparent attempt at rationalization aside, I believe the trick is to be already in office when doing so. Else Herman Cain would still be around.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 04:10 PM

Newton Leroy Gingrich, Ph.D. : An Adulterer

Newt is onto something alright. His 3rd wife! Haha...
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 05:18 PM

You got to hand it to old Newt. He sure knows how to play to his core constituency of southern, white, conservative voters. The guy's a serial adulterer which personally I wouldn't give a sh*t about if he hadn't been such a hypocrite about it and slammed Clinton about "moral values" while simultaneously screwing the home wrecking, side piece he now wants to make "First Lady" in his wife's bed. The guy has two separate former wives who have both claimed that he sought to divorce them after they were diagnosed with serious illnesses. The guy made millions lobbying for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ... two institutions that are routinely denigrated by the right. Yet all is forgiven and he surges to the top of the polls behind his repeated race-baiting "Food Stamp" rhetoric and blaming the so-called "liberal media" for having the audacity to question him about his dirty laundry. Old Newt most definitely knows what resonates with a certain element within the GOP base. The Southern Strategy with its reliance on dog-whistle politics is alive and well. And I expect old Newt is going to ride it till the wheels fall off. It's too the point now where I'm actually hoping he keeps it up, pulls off a huge political upset, and beats Romney for the GOP nomination. Because I suspect he'll soon discover that the general electorate won't be so enamored with his "divisive, condescending, bomb-throwing, feed red meat to the far right" style of politics. And barring some outside shock to the economy that leads to a significant slow down in private sector job growth .... President Obama will hand his ass to him in November.

OAW

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 05:30 PM

Your transparent attempt at rationalization aside, I believe the trick is to be already in office when doing so. Else Herman Cain would still be around.
I think the trick is that if you get caught and lie about it, you have to be in office. Newt admitted his bad ways and like Clinton, it's "old news" that they can't keep it in their pants. No one is surprised.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You got to hand it to old Newt. He sure knows how to play to his core constituency of southern, white, conservative voters. The guy's a serial adulterer which personally I wouldn't give a sh*t about if he hadn't been such a hypocrite about it and slammed Clinton about "moral values" while simultaneously screwing the home wrecking, side piece he now wants to make "First Lady" in his wife's bed.
Could you quote where Newt specifically challenged Clinton for simply cheating on his wife?

You do know that he wasn't impeached for sticking his cigar in that intern, right? That isn't against the law.

As far as challenging the media, it would be a different story if they would or ever did go looking for "dirty laundry" on Obama. We still never did find out how it wasn't "quid pro quo" when felon Tony Rezko bought property Obama couldn't afford, then split it up and sold him just the amount he could afford. There never was a burning desire for the media to find out why this serial hustler and criminal would go to all that trouble and invest the money for Obama. CNN also didn't ask Obama during a debate about why he choose to hang out with terrorists and bigots before running for President. It's only the Republicans who are held to those standards.

..and it's not just that it was "dirty laundry." For the most part, it's "old news." It's the same reason why Bill Clinton, when interviewed, isn't still asked about Monica Lewinsky. It's just not relevant to what is going on currently.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Jan 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2012, 05:35 PM

I think the trick is that if you get caught and lie about it, you have to be in office. Newt admitted his bad ways and like Clinton, it's "old news" that they can't keep it in their pants. No one is surprised.
His ex-wife's interview is new news. People aren't surprised he asked for an open marriage?

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 05:43 PM

His ex-wife's interview is new news. People aren't surprised he asked for an open marriage?
I don't think anyone really cares. The guy has been married how many times? I don't think anyone assumes he's some kind of moral saint.

I'd never want my daughter to marry him, but I might consider otherwise if he could promise and follow through with balancing the federal budget and solving some of the nation's problems for everyone else. I think right now, we need to have our priorities in check. Obama can't get the job done. It's time to find someone who can, even if that person couldn't keep it in their pants 15-20 years ago. We re-elected Bill Clinton, even knowing he couldn't keep it in his pants EVER. Was that ever mentioned in a debate?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2012, 05:45 PM

I don't think anyone really cares.
I'd think the Traditional Marriage crowd might care.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 05:53 PM

I'd think the Traditional Marriage crowd might care.
Only if he is going to try change the laws in a way that effects everyone else. I don't think there's really any worry about that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2012, 05:56 PM

Only if he is going to try change the laws in a way that effects everyone else. I don't think there's really any worry about that.
That's not how it works. See: Santorum.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 06:19 PM

Could you quote where Newt specifically challenged Clinton for simply cheating on his wife?

You do know that he wasn't impeached for sticking his cigar in that intern, right? That isn't against the law.
That is beside the point. You know Stu I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to have followed politics closely during the Clinton Administration. Anyone who is knows for a fact that Gingrich ROUTINELY campaigned and gave speeches on "family values" issues. So the point here is that during the Clinton impeachment proceedings (that at the end of the day was rooted in obfuscation about marital infidelity) that Gingrich led the charge on ... this man had the unmitigated gall to go out and give some "family values" speeches despite the fact that he had been carrying on a six year affair and screwing his "b*tch on the side" in his wife's bed! This has been common knowledge for some time now. But now his second wife just gave an interview saying that he even did this very thing AFTER he essentially asked her to keep her mouth shut and accept his mistress. Woooowwwwww! That's some "Big Pimpin'" sh*t right there!

So you can save all the "legalistic"' commentary on "perjury vs. adultery". That's not even the point and I have neither the time nor the inclination to beat that dead horse. His hypocrisy was only heightened by the entire impeachment fiasco. Because even if you take the Clinton impeachment out of the discussion altogether .... Gingrich is STILL a hypocrite because he chose to go around touting "family values" ... he was the freaking 5-star General on the right in the so-called "culture wars" of the 90s ... denigrating Democrats left and right as if they were so morally inferior ... all while he was continually collecting skeletons in his own closet. Oh yeah ... but he did this because he "loved his country so much."

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jan 20, 2012 at 06:51 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2012, 07:13 PM

I don't think people should care, hypocrite or not, and I also don't think the whole showing tax returns thing is terribly productive either.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 12:08 AM

Newt continues to astound me. But it only added to my disgust for the man.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't think people should care, hypocrite or not, and I also don't think the whole showing tax returns thing is terribly productive either.
I think both are very instructive. Newt's farcical family values takes yet another hit, and the US will finally see how little of the tax burden the uber-rich like Romney really carry. 15% for a man who makes millions without working? Disgusting.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I think both are very instructive. Newt's farcical family values takes yet another hit, and the US will finally see how little of the tax burden the uber-rich like Romney really carry. 15% for a man who makes millions without working? Disgusting.
I guess, but by making Romney the proxy for the rich and the unfairness of the tax code may just result in more attention and scrutiny paid to Romney rather than the problem itself - Romney is but one of many who benefit from the Bush tax cuts and whatever tax loopholes he might be taking advantage of.

As far as Newt goes, I think if you are going to claim that personal affairs don't matter at all as they didn't with Clinton, this needs to apply across the board with no exceptions. However, I guess I shouldn't say that they don't matter at all, but that this should not be a priority in our scrutinization and vetting, as I'd say that as far as real corruption goes the private sexual affairs of our politicians pale in comparison to how their money is used, their real political interests, how power is abused, etc. The part that does matter is the hypocriticalness though, as has been said, not the actual sexing. I still think the Lewinsky thing was a massive counter productive distraction that accomplished nothing of any value.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 12:45 PM

That is beside the point. You know Stu I don't know how old you are but I'm old enough to have followed politics closely during the Clinton Administration. Anyone who is knows for a fact that Gingrich ROUTINELY campaigned and gave speeches on "family values" issues.
You're using code words here, that may or may not apply to what you are accusing Gingrich of. You've really got to find where he went out of his way to criticize the stuff he was doing at the time to brand him a "hypocrite." It's like the "age appropriate" terminology used in the other thread. Or for Bill Clinton, what the definition of "is, is." Gingrich really wasn't one of the ones trumpeting "family values" that I can remember. Lot's of other Republicans, yes. When he did get into moral issues, I don't remember ever chastising someone just for having sex with someone other than the one that they are married to.

So the point here is that during the Clinton impeachment proceedings (that at the end of the day was rooted in obfuscation about marital infidelity) that Gingrich led the charge on ... this man had the unmitigated gall to go out and give some "family values" speeches despite the fact that he had been carrying on a six year affair and screwing his "b*tch on the side" in his wife's bed!
I don't remember this happening. I could be wrong, but I think this is a myth, not reality. I think people are confusing Republicans. If he went out and gave these speeches complaining about marital infidelity, you should be able to find one or two for me, right? If it's common knowledge, it should be easily found. Right?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 02:16 PM

Stu seriously. Are you going to sit there and try to claim that "family values" doesn't INCLUDE being faithful to your spouse? Or not filing for divorce after your spouse comes down with a serious illness? The "sanctity of marriage" and all that jazz? Ok dude. Whatever.

OAW

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2012, 03:29 PM

I don't remember this happening. I could be wrong, but I think this is a myth, not reality. I think people are confusing Republicans. If he went out and gave these speeches complaining about marital infidelity, you should be able to find one or two for me, right? If it's common knowledge, it should be easily found. Right?
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - For the adulterous Newton Leroy Gingrich: Do as I say, not as I do

screener
Senior User
Jan 21, 2012, 03:37 PM

Stu seriously. Are you going to sit there and try to claim that "family values" doesn't INCLUDE being faithful to your spouse? Or not filing for divorce after your spouse comes down with a serious illness? The "sanctity of marriage" and all that jazz? Ok dude. Whatever.

OAW
Whatever is right.
I'd never want my daughter to marry him, but I might consider otherwise if he could promise and follow through with balancing the federal budget and solving some of the nation's problems for everyone else.
Stupendously wow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules