Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD Burner for 12" iBook

DVD Burner for 12" iBook
crimson_joel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2005, 08:07 PM

Hi,

I was looking into dvd burning for the 12" iBook and I was wondering if anybody knows of any other options.

It doesn't look like apple is offering a super-drive for the 12" iBook, and I'm not willing to do anything that voids my warranty...so I'm guessing my only option is an external dvd burner?

Any reccomendations?

Cheers.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 10:03 PM

Burner: Pioneer DVR-110D... supported by OS X, fastest burner speeds available, supports all the DVD formats except DVD-RAM, lets you set the booktype, and it's $45 at Newegg.
Enclosure: Find one you like with an Oxford (911/912/922) chipset, should be $30-40.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Oct 11, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by crimson_joel
Hi,

I was looking into dvd burning for the 12" iBook and I was wondering if anybody knows of any other options.

It doesn't look like apple is offering a super-drive for the 12" iBook, and I'm not willing to do anything that voids my warranty...so I'm guessing my only option is an external dvd burner?

Any reccomendations?

Cheers.
An external drive is a good option. They are cheaper (not taking into account the case that you buy only once), much faster and read/write more formats than apples superdrives.

I put an LG drive into an old Lacie firewire case. Cost me 50 Euros and burns cds 52X (DVD 16X).

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2005, 02:17 PM

Does NEC 3540A supported by OSX?

galarneau
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

Do a drive compatibility search on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

It's a great resource.

Forum Links
Forum Rules