Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 - cd's not mounting (?)

iBook G4 - cd's not mounting (?)
webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 09:04 PM

CD's are no longer showing up on my desktop or in finder. Yes, the checkbox is clicked for them to do so. Actually, my iPod doesn't show up on the desktop either, but it shows up in iTunes. If I put a DVD in, DVD player starts up fine and plays the movie, but the icon never shows on the desktop. If I put in a music CD it works in iTunes. I put in any other CD and nothing happens. Well, once I put in a blank CDRW and it showed up on the desktop, but then when I tried it again, it didn't. The Sims CD icon doesn't show up on the desktop or in the finder, either. CD's used to show up on the desktop and finder, just now all of a sudden they don't.

Help?

iBook G4 800mhz, 640mb ram, 40gb hd, 10.3 Panther
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 09:59 PM

This might sound like an overly simple suggestion, but have you relaunched the Finder/rebooted/logged-out?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
This might sound like an overly simple suggestion, but have you relaunched the Finder/rebooted/logged-out?
How do you relaunch Finder? And what does it do? I mean, I know it relaunches it, but what happens as it's doing that?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 10:06 PM

Do a force quit - Command + Option + Escape. Click on the Finder and the click Relaunch.

It basically just relaunches the desktop enviorment while allowing all of your applications to continue running perfectly.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 10:15 PM

Thanks. I will keep that in mind for the future. I ended up just restarting and that took care of the problem. I wonder why it happened, though. And now I lost my 37 day uptime, lol.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 10:21 PM

Haha.

Well, glad it worked.

I used to care about uptime as well, but then it seemed as though a Security Update always ended up getting released when my uptime finally reached a number of days worth bragging about. And of course... Security Update = Restart.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Haha.

Well, glad it worked.

I used to care about uptime as well, but then it seemed as though a Security Update always ended up getting released when my uptime finally reached a number of days worth bragging about. And of course... Security Update = Restart.
I haven't updated anything on my iBook yet. I'm still on 10.3 and all that. It'd take forever and a day to update everything now, lol.

I really didn't want to restart my iBook because I'm still afraid that I'll try to restart and it won't go, like on my old Windows computers. I had one Dell computer where I'd turn it on in the morning, do my thing, turn it off, go to school, come home, turn it on, and Windows had eaten itself. It happened numerous times and Dell was never able to fix it. I pray each and every time I restart.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2004, 05:06 AM

Lol! You get used to it. -Stable machines.. Mmm.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 04:46 PM

order of operations to fix misbehavior using mac os x:

1) log out, then log in.
2) restart.

fixes every problem i've had so far....

m_young
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2004, 06:51 PM

Is there a way to check uptime through the system, or is it just you guys keeping track?

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by m_young:
Is there a way to check uptime through the system, or is it just you guys keeping track?
Open terminal and type uptime.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 09:44 PM

I had this same problem with mine when the iBook G4 first came out. It was a software bug. You can't play audio CDs or mount disc images. Search the forums and you'll find other reports of it. There were a number of recommended workarounds. Mine was to reinstall 10.3 from the original disks and then download the latest version of the OS. Worked fine after that.

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I had this same problem with mine when the iBook G4 first came out. It was a software bug. You can't play audio CDs or mount disc images. Search the forums and you'll find other reports of it. There were a number of recommended workarounds. Mine was to reinstall 10.3 from the original disks and then download the latest version of the OS. Worked fine after that.
Thanks, but that wasn't my problem. I could play audio cd's just fine and discs had previously mounted. I restarted and everything is great now.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2004, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by webcookie:
Thanks, but that wasn't my problem. I could play audio cd's just fine and discs had previously mounted. I restarted and everything is great now.
os x is weird in its mounting behavior.
people who use linux understand that when you insert media you typically have to

~\mount

it. mac's automount system works great but is not flawless. and its unmount is a lil worse....

Forum Links
Forum Rules