Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight, Webcam, Airport

iSight, Webcam, Airport
slider
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 10:40 PM

Hello all,

I'm trying to get this set up quickly for t-day and was hoping someone could walk me through it.
I've used this shareware software before, can't remember the name of it at the moment, but I use an iSight camera and set up a webcam. I'd did this at work and had to have our provider set up the ports to the computers IP address. Anyway, I'll need to open ports and all, but unlike the work router, which was managed by the provider, I'll need to set this up on my router, the airport.

A link to a guide would be useful too. Thanks in advance and Happy t-day.

ghettochild
Nov 25, 2005, 04:35 PM

dude, I don't really understand what you're talking about. you have an iSight and set up a webcam? iSight is a webcam...

as for video chatting, you can do that w/ iChat (mac pendant to AIM) and Yahoo!. there are other apps for video conferencing but I've never tried any of these.

anyways, iChat (which has the best quality IMO) uses port 5190, Yahoo port 5100. hope that helps.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 07:22 PM

Hi ghettochild, thanks for taking the time . Normally I would have dug a little bit at figured it out for myself (which I did anyways), but it was thanksgiving eve and getting late so I thought I'd get the post up asap so if I couldn't remember or figure it out I could come here. But, it wouldn't have seemed to have made a difference lol

But, what I was trying to do, and did do, was set a streaming webcam using my iSight, not an instant messaging chat thing. Here, b/c my sister and brother-in-law are about pc retarded and use a PC to boot.

So, I found the software I used before, eVoCam from www.evological.com. After that is was a piece of cake. So for my Sister in Colorado, I streamed the family Thanksgiving cooking and dinner so she could peak in whenever she wanted by clicking on the web address I sent her.

Her families next machine is going to be a Mac; probably an iMac with the built in iSight. Plug, Ethernet cable, done

Forum Links
Forum Rules