Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pro, dead pixel

New MacBook Pro, dead pixel
BigCanoe
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 06:48 PM

I booted up my new MacBook Pro with excitement, soon to be dampened by the dead black pixel nearly in the center of the LCD. My luck, as usual, stinks.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 06:56 PM

Too bad Apple doesn't have a zero dead pixel policy. Which is pretty sad IMHO.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2006, 07:03 PM

Don't they have a buyers remorse policy?

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 09:14 PM

No remorse, just a dead pixel

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 10:05 PM

I have heard that massaging it can sometimes help

ibook_steve
Dec 19, 2006, 10:05 PM

Have you tried rubbing it yet? You may be able to bring it back to life.

Steve

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 02:09 AM

Take it to the Genius Bar. Be cool. Show them that since the dead pixel is in the center of the screen, this is going to a serious annoyance to you in your work. Although Apple has a dead pixel policy, they frequently bend the rules and the dead pixel policy is no exception.

Good luck!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

vinster
Senior User
Dec 20, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post
Take it to the Genius Bar. Be cool. Show them that since the dead pixel is in the center of the screen, this is going to a serious annoyance to you in your work. Although Apple has a dead pixel policy, they frequently bend the rules and the dead pixel policy is no exception.

Good luck!
I agree, and if they don't take it back for a replacement or repair perhaps consider paying the restocking fee (depending on where you purchased it).

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2006, 02:47 AM

Hi,

i have had 3 apple laptops and none of them had dead pixels. so i think that although apple isnt immune from having dead pixels their quality of production is high and it is a good 'chance' you wont get one if you can somehow manage to get a different laptop.

good luck

rob.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 05:19 AM

I might stress that you will get the best response from the Genisues if you're calm, very polite, but insistant.
Linkinus is king.

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2006, 08:21 AM

Does it matter that I bought it from MacConnection, not the Apple store? Here is there statement, I guess the Apple Store is my best bet:

Due to restrictions placed upon us by the manufacturers, computers and printers are returnable in the first 30 days for repair only. Computers, printers, LCD projectors, and Quark products are not returnable for credit or exchange.

Before returning a defective product, review the product details on our Web site to see if the manufacturer's warranty covers on-site repair or other services. Questions? Call your account manager.
( Last edited by BigCanoe; Dec 20, 2006 at 09:47 AM. )

bloodline
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 08:17 AM

My first C2D MBP had a dead pixel, I just called up apple the same day I recieved it and erquested a new one, as long as you do it within 14 days they will replace it, no questions asked.

Recieved a new C2D MBP within 8 days, screen fine.
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 22, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Does it matter that I bought it from MacConnection, not the Apple store? Here is there statement, I guess the Apple Store is my best bet:

Due to restrictions placed upon us by the manufacturers, computers and printers are returnable in the first 30 days for repair only. Computers, printers, LCD projectors, and Quark products are not returnable for credit or exchange.

Before returning a defective product, review the product details on our Web site to see if the manufacturer's warranty covers on-site repair or other services. Questions? Call your account manager.
This is a new Apple product, right? Then the Apple Store WILL take care of you. You don't want to return the product, you want it to work properly, and MacConnection doesn't warranty the computer, Apple does. Take it to the store and calmly show the Genius what's wrong.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 11:38 AM

Ya, its brand new. Do I need to backup my hard drive, etc? I assume they wont let me swap hard drives out...

wingdo
Senior User
Dec 22, 2006, 01:28 PM

ghporter is right, does not matter where you bought it the Apple Store will take care of you. Treat the geniuses with respect and be calm and they will do the same to you. Bring it in and scream at the top of your lungs that you hate the book because you have one dead pixel and you'll be at the end of a very long queue. It's not the geniuses fault you have a dead pixel, they are there to help you.

Yup ..... as with EVERY time you should bring the bad boy in for anyone to look at .... back it up first.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 01:30 PM

Bigcanoe are you new to computers?

im just asking because of the question you asked above.

regarding the issue just take it to the apple store and pray they do something about it.
a dead pixel can get very annoying once you spot it-specially in the center of the screen.

and back up, BACK UP your information.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 10:00 AM

Nah, just wishful thinking, I keep putting it off and my machine is getting more and more customized

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 10:55 AM

Ive been nlucky with Dead Pixels. Only my new MBP C2D has come with no dead pixels. All othr displays ive had from apple have had one or two dead ones.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 12:51 PM

What does a dead pixel look like, anyway?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 01:17 PM

A black spot-a tiny one for a single pixel-that doesn't change, doesn't go away, and is there no matter what the image on the screen is.

A "dead" pixel is somewhat less irritating than an "open pixel" where it's WHITE no matter what. This is much more rare because failures usually go open (not working at all) rather than short (all three colors working).

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A black spot-a tiny one for a single pixel-that doesn't change, doesn't go away, and is there no matter what the image on the screen is.

A "dead" pixel is somewhat less irritating than an "open pixel" where it's WHITE no matter what. This is much more rare because failures usually go open (not working at all) rather than short (all three colors working).
Apple says dead or stuck pixels are normal!

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

Unless there is a cluster of stuck or dead pixels, good luck trying to get an exchange!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 10:28 PM

They're not "wrong" but their statement isn't as clear as it should be. Dead or stuck pixels are RARE-thanks to Apple's quality assurance, we don't see the number of bad displays other brand users do. Dell has a whole "refurb division" that GRADES bad monitors for bad, crap, and OMGWTFBBQ!!! Grade C Dell displays are, as far as I'm concerned, completely unusable. Grade B displays are annoyingly dysfunctional, with lines, bars, or too light or too dark areas. Grade A refurbs could be perfect-or not.

I'm still wondering if the OP has massaged the offending pixel...

ONG
Dec 25, 2006, 09:24 PM

14 days policy.... do it.

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 07:30 PM

Dead pixels occur when a speck of dust gets between the screen layers during the screens manufuacturing. Therefore, I don't think Apple's quality assurance would have much to do with the development of the screens........... they could reject more displays than other manufacturers, of course. Sometimes you can massage the pixel. There is also a program for Windows that illuminates the screen in the different colors and once you find the dead pixel you focus on the area that it constantly refreshes that area with pixels in order to bring it back. But ya, within 14 days..........I'd just go for a replacement but for other people that can't do that, load up BootCamp or Parallels with Windows and try out that program.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

sixcolors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 08:33 PM

Never 'massage' an lcd, it can cause other pixels to die or get 'stuck' too. Just live with it or return it.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2006, 12:50 AM

I'm not familiar with Apple's policy. It seems like you'll be okay, though, based on the expert advice above.

But, should you not be, and be told to go fly a kite, call Visa, Mastercard or American Express. And initiate a chargeback.

That ought to get you some attention. You might not have 100% backing of your bankcard at first, but their policies vary on product dissatisfaction and performance. And typically they set the bar much lower for the consumer.

Good luck.

Oh, and I forgot: Let anyone who gives you trouble know the name of this website: Consumerist.com. I guarantee you any CSR has heard of them.
( Last edited by zl9600; Dec 27, 2006 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added a website)
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

monkeyhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 02:01 AM

How about some information as opposed to misinformation:

1.) Never "massage" a "dead" pixel. Rubbing the area around a malfunctioning pixel to revive it is a wives-tale, an urban legend, etc. It does not work, it is not based on any science or fact, and it can cause more damage to your LCD panel.

2.) Apple Stores cannot and do not accept returns or exchanges on Apple products purchased from other resellers. If you did not purchase your MacBook Pro directly from Apple (on-line or from a retail store), do not expect an Apple Retail Store to accept the MacBook Pro as a return or exchange. (If some of you have been fortunate enough to have an Apple Store accept a return or exchange for a product purchased from another reseller in the past, consider yourself lucky and an exception to the rule.)

3.) One malfunctioning pixel does not meet Apple's criteria for return, exchange or repair. (If some of you have been fortunate enough to have an Apple Store or Apple itself accept a return or exchange for an LCD with one "dead" pixel, consider yourself lucky and an exception to the rule.)

4.) Apple does not offer a "zero dead pixel policy" because Apple's suppliers do not offer Apple a "zero dead pixel policy." Apple's criteria regarding the number of acceptable "dead" pixels in an LCD is based on the number of acceptable "dead" pixels specified by Apple's suppliers.

Peace.

collinong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by monkeyhead View Post
How about some information as opposed to misinformation:

1.) Never "massage" a "dead" pixel. Rubbing the area around a malfunctioning pixel to revive it is a wives-tale, an urban legend, etc. It does not work, it is not based on any science or fact, and it can cause more damage to your LCD panel.
beware of such absolute statements. i've successfully used a q-tip to massage a stuck red pixel into proper operation before. however, the same technique could not coerce a stuck green pixel on my macbook into submission though. it probably just depends on the exact reason or placement of the the pixel, defect, debris, etc. i think it's worth a try.

bernt
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2006, 06:35 PM

Note that monkeyhead was talking about "dead" pixels, not "stuck" pixels. They are not the same...
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Forum Links
Forum Rules