Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Running Jaguar, want to upgrade to Tiger, Please Advise

Running Jaguar, want to upgrade to Tiger, Please Advise
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

I have finaly decided to shed my beloved Jaguar and move up to Tiger. If I purchase OS X 10.4 Tiger what do I get? Is the retail version one Install DVD or a series of DVDs like I have for Jaguar. I use an ivory white 800Mhz Power PC G3 iBook, 11GB free hard drive space, 640MB RAM. Now, I have 2 OS X Install disks and 3 Software restore disks. When I purchase Tiger, is it the same, 2 OS install disks and 3 Software Restore disks or what? I have seen Tiger for sale on Amazon and I am unclear as to what I need to be getting. One offering says that it's an OS X 10.4 "Upgrade" and that I will need to have OS X 10.3 installed to use it. Another offering says that it's OS X 10.4 Tiger Install DVD with no mention of system requirements other than OS X. I'm just trying to get what I need without having to fork over the $129 + that Apple and other retail resellers are asking for but I don't want to purchase some BS product which will require me to have to also purchase OS X 10.3 or whatever and may not come with all the disk that should be included in a complete version of Tiger. Thank you for any and all guidance given people. Peace out . . .
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

OreoCookie
Jun 14, 2007, 01:02 AM

You shouldn't buy Tiger now, buy it in October after Leopard (10.5) is released. Since your machine cannot run 10.5 (it requires a G4), you can get Tiger a lot cheaper then.

There is only one version of 10.4, no update or premium version. You'll be able to upgrade the OS rather easily (do an Archive & Install so that all your settings, your files and applications are taken from the old installation).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 03:39 AM

What OreoCookie said - don't get Tiger until the Leopard is unleashed. If you are itching for an upgrade and can't wait that long, 10.3 (which is still a marked improvement over 10.2) is available very cheaply.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 04:13 AM

Also, FYI, the "Software Restore" disks are NOT part of OS X - they are the additional applications like iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Appleworks, etc. that come bundled with your computer.

They are NOT updated with the OS X upgrade.

And ALL boxed copies of OS X are "upgrades", technically, because none of them can be installed on any machine that's not a Mac, i.e. that isn't already running a version of the Mac OS. That's why there are no "upgrade" and "full" versions.

There ARE, however, so-called "drop-in" upgrades, which are included at the factory with a machine that was assembled and boxed just before official release of a new version, or come as a grace-period upgrade. Meaning: If somebody bought their machine in the six weeks before the release of Mac OS X 10.4, they got a machine with 10.3 pre-installed, but could get a "drop-in" upgrade for shipping & handling cost. These upgrades *do* check for a previous version of OS X, though I'm unsure that they'd insist on a 10.3 to upgrade to 10.4.
You can't buy this kind of disk through Amazon or any other retailer, though, AFAIK.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 07:56 AM

I agree that Panther 10.3 will be the cheapest upgrade route. Although I would get Tiger anyway...
Here are a couple more issues: first make sure your iBook has a DVD player, Jaguar and Panther shipped as CDs, Tiger is usually a DVD although with some effort you can get it on CD.
Next, Tiger comes in two flavors, the gray disk that shipped as an OEM with a new Mac. That disk will only install on the same machine model. Since your iBook was released before Tiger do not buy a gray Tiger installer. You need the black disk. Although there was a upgrade path for some models of the iBook to Panther, I don't think there was for Tiger.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I agree that Panther 10.3 will be the cheapest upgrade route. Although I would get Tiger anyway...
"Agree"?

Nobody has suggested that at all in this thread!

The suggestion people put out was to wait for Leopard - 10.5.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
If you are itching for an upgrade and can't wait that long, 10.3 (which is still a marked improvement over 10.2) is available very cheaply.
analogika
I don't understand, didn't JKT suggest that? Besides, why would the poster wait for Leopard, he can't run it on a G3.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 11:34 AM

Sorry. Overzealous post-reply-button-clicky-finger.

My bad.

: bows :

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 04:35 PM

If you can get Tiger off eBay for a good price, go for it. Like they said, you probably won't be able to run Leopard without some hacking, so stick with Tiger. But I would upgrade as soon as possible, since Jaguar is decrepit compared to Tiger.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 05:17 PM

You'll love Tiger - it will give your machine a new lease of life. But think about how much you want to spend on that machine - might be cost effective to think about replacing it.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
analogika
I don't understand, didn't JKT suggest that? Besides, why would the poster wait for Leopard, he can't run it on a G3.
Because, once 10.5 is realeased, the cost of Tiger will drop to the $10 to $20 you would pay for second hand 10.3 disks right now, that's why. As Tiger is currently the de facto version of the OS at the moment, people can charge a lot more for it second hand. We aren't recommending trying to install 10.5 on a G3.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 10:32 PM

I had no idea that Leopard will only run on a G5 or higher. Thanks for the heads up. I truly appreciate your guidance here. Your suggestions bring up another question for me now. I have been seriously planning on adding to my Mac property list by purchasing either the new MacBook or MacBook Pro but should I wait to do so until Leopard is released? If I purchase one now it will come with Tiger, right? Am I to understand, though, that If I were to wait until Leopard is released to purchase a new laptop it would then come with Leopard? So, should, as some have suggested, I purchase Panther, for my G3 iBook now, and then hold off until Leopard is released to purchase a new laptop? What say you?

PS: Any suggestions or comments on which new Mac laptop model is currently the best for the money? The MacBook? MacBook Pro? Is Apple still producing the PowerBook models?

Cant't thank you all enough for your guidance.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 11:43 PM

Leopard should run on a G4 or higher. Not that it matters to you, having a G3.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post
I had no idea that Leopard will only run on a G5 or higher. Thanks for the heads up. I truly appreciate your guidance here. Your suggestions bring up another question for me now. I have been seriously planning on adding to my Mac property list by purchasing either the new MacBook or MacBook Pro but should I wait to do so until Leopard is released? If I purchase one now it will come with Tiger, right? Am I to understand, though, that If I were to wait until Leopard is released to purchase a new laptop it would then come with Leopard? So, should, as some have suggested, I purchase Panther, for my G3 iBook now, and then hold off until Leopard is released to purchase a new laptop? What say you?
Well, it really depends on two things:

1. How long will you still be content with the iBook G3? How long until it dies is one aspect, and the second is:

2. What do you do with it?

Assuming that it will live that long, putting Tiger on the G3 iBook should give it a good year or more of acceptable casual use - not the most nimble and powerhouse multitasker, but fine (with gentle patience) for internet, e-mail, word processing, and iTunes. It will feel polished (more polished than 10.3 and MUCH more so than 10.2), but it will continue to show its age.

The MacBooks are currently excellent value IMO, and have the advantage of already coming with Tiger and the latest versions of iPhoto/iMovie/GarageBand/etc. installed, all of which they are able to run fantastically. They are light and zesty at all these things, where the G3 will plod along.

If you buy a MacBook after Leopard is released (sometime in October), it will, of course, come with Leopard. If you buy after a definite release date is announced (usually about 6 weeks in advance, so this should be sometime in September), you should be able to upgrade to Leopard for a nominal shipping & handling fee (around $20).

10.4 Tiger Install disks should drop in price on the used market after the release of Leopard, as well, so this might affect your decision.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 16, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post

PS: Any suggestions or comments on which new Mac laptop model is currently the best for the money? The MacBook? MacBook Pro? Is Apple still producing the PowerBook models?

Cant't thank you all enough for your guidance.
If you are not desperate for a new mac, then I would wait for the Leopard release date to be announced. When that happens (usually 2-4 weeks before the release), you will get a coupon to get Leopard for free (plus S&H). I did that when I got my G4 PB over 3 years ago and got 10.3 for free. That will save you 130 bucks there.

Both MacBooks and MacBook Pros are good value for money. It depends how much power you need. If you are mostly web browsing, writing office docs, emailing then a MacBook will suit you. If you need more processing power and do graphics work or play a lot of games then the MacBook Pro would be better.

Also the MacBook has 13.3 inch screen. If you want a larger screen then plump for the MBP. It will cost more though.

I'm planning on getting a 15 inch MBP because I want the larger screen and more power and will wait until Leopard is announced or released. That way I won't have to pay for an OS upgrade for probably another 2 years.

Also I would probably save some cash by not upgrading your G3 iBook to Tiger if you're definitely going to get a new mac.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

OreoCookie
Jun 16, 2007, 03:06 PM

Leopard does run on G4s and higher, but not on G3s.

You seem in no rush to upgrade (otherwise you wouldn't have stuck with 10.2 for so long, although 10.3 and 10.4 were significant upgrades. Just wait until 10.5 is released in October and get a MacBook (which according to Apple succeeds both the iBook and the 12" PowerBook). For most people, this machine will be more than sufficient. The only two significant differences between the two are: (i) larger screen (which doesn't really matter when you have external screens) and (ii) a faster graphics card (only important when you do something with Aperture, Final Cut or so; not useful if you work with Photoshop, etc.).

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thinine View Post
Leopard should run on a G4 or higher. Not that it matters to you, having a G3.
Although pre-release builds work on G3, so the final may be coerced to run, unsupported.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 02:38 AM

Nobody on this forum knows for sure what the system requirements for Leopard will be.

But history would make it a reasonable assumption to declare that G3 machines will not be supported.

I just saw Tiger running on an original iBook. It ran pretty well considering.

Until October, all of this is pure speculation.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

OreoCookie
Jun 19, 2007, 03:06 AM

The system requirements are since the system requirements for Leopard are all over the net. I don't think they will be subject to change.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The system requirements are since the system requirements for Leopard are all over the net. I don't think they will be subject to change.
I didn't know that the Developer's Preview was also considered the final release.

Apple's website says nothing of the requirements for Leopard. Until it is on Apple's site, you are speculating.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules