Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My new 15" has shut itself down twice now!

My new 15" has shut itself down twice now!
broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 12:59 AM

And I've done a search, and I found only one hit (on Apple's discussion board), and the reply was to try resetiing the PMU. (calimed it would be a long shot). Looking at the online manual, it states that it will reset it to default settings.

Resetting the PMU is not intended for resolution of a stall or situation in which the computer is unresponsive. A PMU reset should not be necessary except as a last resort in cases where a hardware failure of the power management system is suspected. Performing a PMU reset returns the iBook and PowerBook hardware, including NVRAM, to default settings and forces the computer to shut down.

Before I try this, I want to know if this may be a cause of the problem. By the way, it has shut down twice while it was just sitting on my lap, and wasn't moved or really being used at the time. When it started up again, the clock was set.....blah blah blah. Something like...to a time before March 2(?) 2001.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 16, 2005, 03:11 PM

First, I would call AppleCare. They'll try some stuff with you. If they can't get your computer running, they'll have to take it in for repair. I'd personally work with Apple first.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2005, 03:27 PM

Yah, I've called them and they have started a case file and if it keeps doing this it may be considered DOA. I've reset the PMU and we'll see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules