Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > c'mon, I'm new to ipod, and this isn't working!

c'mon, I'm new to ipod, and this isn't working!
broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 11:54 PM

Read this and you will see what a b***h of a time I'm having. I know it works, but only with the thing formatted to windows, which doesn't really work for me because I have an ancient PII that doesn't have USB2., and it refuses to load 10gb worth of music I want on it, and quits doing so after about 20 minutes. It did manage to load a couple of podcasts, and I listened to them, so I know it works.

I'm back on the mac (ibook and powerbook), but the updater is choosing the wrong update for the model. (or the right update for the wrong model, however you want to look at it). When it's done with the restore and update, I get the exclamation on the screen, and it shuts down and tries it all over again. Therre is something wrong with the boot portion (or whatever hurdle it is unable to overcome) because it's fro the wrong ipod model!! IT WILL NOT WORK!!

It is a 4th gen touch wheel, requiring 3.1.1, not a 3rd gen click wheel, in which case it is choosing 2.3.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 01:42 AM

Do you have the right updater for your ipod model? If you don't then obviously the restore isn't going to work. Go to the apple website and get the latest updater. If you are using the right updater and still no dice, then in your case, call apple about your problem. Is your ipod still under warrenty? If so then apple will either replace it or repair it or whatever it takes.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 03:43 AM

There is only one iPod updater for all iPods.

Apple does not offer individual updaters on their homepage.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 04:47 AM

What?? The hell they don't, http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/ Thats for all different ipod models.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 05:03 AM

That is ONE updater that does ALL iPod models, yes.

There is NO WAY to download an updater for an individual iPod model.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2006, 08:41 AM

If you're trying to update that iPod from a Mac when it is formatted for Windows, you'll have to change it to being Mac formatted. The format specifically relates to what platform you provide updates from. And reformatting deletes all your music, so it's not a first choice for most people.

Further, there may be a difference in version numbers for Mac and PC updates, which might be the reason the updater (which can tell EVERYTHING about your iPod) seems to be trying to apply the 'wrong' version.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 02:31 PM

But my ipod is windows formatted and I update it from my mac, or do you mean update as in update the firmware not the songs? Because when I update the songs I call it syncing them, not updating them because I get them confused.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krjat
But my ipod is windows formatted and I update it from my mac, or do you mean update as in update the firmware not the songs? Because when I update the songs I call it syncing them, not updating them because I get them confused.
He meant updating, not syncing.

Updating: placing a newer version of the iPod's operating system in the iPod firmware.

You cannot update a Windows-formatted iPod on a Mac without erasing its entire contents, and vice versa.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2006, 02:37 PM

you can't update the firmware on a windows ipod from a mac, platforms have to match.

Also, Apple -used- to make individual firmware updaters, but with the introduction of the 4G models went to a unified updater.

I still have the old firmware updaters for individual iPods and know how to use the Terminal.app to force a firmware load onto the iPod. PM me if needed.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 02:40 PM

OK, I thought he was talking about like syncing songs, not updating the firmware.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2006, 05:44 PM

Sorry for starting something and not stickin' around. I've got it sorted out. I did get it going by restoring and formatting for windows, and was then able to use it on the Mac. The root of the problem was a little more than I expected. While talking to Apple, she had go into system prefs, and lo and behold, under System/ Users was no where to be found. I did an archive and install, and everything is back up to snuff, and the ipod restores and updates properly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules