Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail Won't Let Me Send!!

Mail Won't Let Me Send!!
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2005, 02:08 PM

OK. I deleted and redid the accounts. i went to Comcast's FAQ page to make sure I got it right (which i had).I made sure i was using the right port. I went to Help Viewer (which didn't help at all). I'VE DONE EVERYTHING!!!!! All I get when I send is this message http://img168.echo.cx/my.php?image=picture17oe.png
I made sure i was using the right outgoing server (smtp.comcast.net) Why won't it let me send Mail? PO'ed here!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2005, 06:36 PM

Open a terminal window and try this:
Code:
telnet smtp.comcast.net
If it says nothing but
Code:
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
, it probably means there's a firewall blocking you, in which case you must set up a tunnel through the firewall.
In order to do this, you need ssh-access to an outside server, which can reach smtp.comcast.net.

Provided that isn't an issue, run this little script:
ssh -f -L5525:smtp.comcase.net:25 outside.ssh.server.net sleep 3600m

Once you've done this, all you need to do is to tell Mail that it should use the smtp server "localhost", at port 5525.

Works fine for me every time I'm behind a firewall. Good luck!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2005, 06:56 PM

That happens to me intermittently too! Very frustrating, I though 10.4 would make it go away, but just today it happened again with two emails... it's very odd!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 01:12 AM

I don't have a firewall though, at least I don't think I do. Thanks for the codes I'm going to try them out right now! I would like the application to actually do what it's supposed to do, lol.

EDIT: It does say "Trying xx.xxx.xx..." Do I still run the script now? And if so, in Terminal or in Apple Script?

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
It does say "Trying xx.xxx.xx..." Do I still run the script now? And if so, in Terminal or in Apple Script?
In Terminal. So it seems your internet service provider is blocking the port used for sending e-mails (port 25).

Just remember to change "outside.ssh.server.net" to the name or IP of your ssh server.

ChrisF
Senior User
Jun 19, 2005, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by cla
In Terminal. So it seems your internet service provider is blocking the port used for sending e-mails (port 25).

Just remember to change "outside.ssh.server.net" to the name or IP of your ssh server.
The command he needs to try first is

Code:
telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
That makes the connection on port 25 and verifies that it's possible to connect to the smtp server. Otherwise, he's just confirmed that the mail server isn't running a telnet server... and not all of them do.
To the original poster, are you on Comcast's network? (i. e. using a cable modem?) If not, you may never be able to use Comcast's mail server.

HiDDeN
Jun 19, 2005, 11:33 AM

I've got the same problem the other way around. My mail won't let met receive my mail or not all of them. The same goes for Entourage, only Thunderbird downloads them without any problem. Mail also simply quits from the moment I hit the space bar, after typing a word when writing a new mail or replying one.
I've had mail issues since I installed Tiger never before in Panther or Jaguar.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 12:11 PM

I got in touch with Cox, for me it's the darn email servers... nothing wrong with the mac. Call your ISP and see if they're having problems.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
The command he needs to try first is

Code:
telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
Of course. My fault, sorry.
Give it another try ApplCmptrDood... :>

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 01:54 PM

it worked. I got this:
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 comcast.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX rwcrmhc11 #7

Edit: I go to Comcast's web page and sign in each time with no problem. Is that the answer you are looking for, because I get a bit confuzzed sometimes.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2005, 05:27 PM

Good. Then it's probably an authentication problem. Have you tried altering the options under Apple Mail->Accounts->Server Settings... ?

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 12:40 AM

what do i change it to?? there is a pic of my server settings

UPDATE: I just tried sending an email to myself as a test, and I get this. what should i do now?
( Last edited by ApplCmptrDood; Jun 20, 2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Update)

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 10:30 AM

Ask your ISP if their SMTP requires authentication. They should be able to tell you your exact settings.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 11:22 AM

OK. Thanks!

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 02:02 PM

If you use Earthlink, I believe a few months back they stopped allowing the use of port 25 and now accept the use of port 110.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2005, 04:18 PM

dont use earthlink... I'm going to call my ISP on Wednesday or Thursday (when I'm at my dad's house) Hope this'll work. If it doesn't, I'm gonna be pissed because I've been looking forward to the new Mail so much, adn now its loaded with these problems

ChrisF
Senior User
Jun 20, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
dont use earthlink... I'm going to call my ISP on Wednesday or Thursday (when I'm at my dad's house) Hope this'll work. If it doesn't, I'm gonna be pissed because I've been looking forward to the new Mail so much, adn now its loaded with these problems
As I asked before, are you on Comcast's network when you have this problem? If not, you'll need another SMTP server. Comcast most likely doesn't allow SMTP through their server from outside their network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules