Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > uMBP's screen goes dimmed (ugh)

uMBP's screen goes dimmed (ugh)
Parvez
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2010, 03:04 AM

It's only an 8 month old mid 2009 uMBP (2.26ghz, 4GB, 500GB)

I was using the Disk Utility when it asked me to insert my MAC OS X Install disc and press "c" during start up and repair it. Every time I insert the disc and press "c" my screen goes completely dark. I thought it could have been a problem with the sensor so I flashed a light into it but it didn't work. I even tried putting it directly towards the sun light and still it doesn't work. Is there a fix for this or should I take it to Apple Store? I still have my free 1 year warranty, it didn't expire yet.

I talked to customer service and they told me to reset the PRM (the rep made me do it a few times) but it didn't work. Then the rep told me to run the extended Apple Hardware Test. I had to put him on hold for an hour and 25 mins then my mom had to make an emergency call. The rep told me to contact them with the results.

However the Apple Hardware Test found no problems.

Should I just take it to the Apple Store?

Cold Warrior
Aug 8, 2010, 01:18 PM

Or call Apple and they'll ship you a prepaid express mailing box. It goes out and returns repaired or replaced.

Ensure you have a complete backup for either course you choose -- mail or Apple Store.

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Or call Apple and they'll ship you a prepaid express mailing box. It goes out and returns repaired or replaced.

Ensure you have a complete backup for either course you choose -- mail or Apple Store.
I can take it to the 5th Ave Apple Store... it's only 15mins away. I'll just swap my 500GB with the stock 160GB HDD so I don't have to back up anything.

But is this a mainly hardware fault? And what would they replace/repair?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2010, 02:14 PM

I sounds like a hardware fault.

What they replace will rather depend upon what's actually broken, I'd think.

(My money's on corrupted EFI - it might suffice to reapply the firmware, but could be due to a hardware failure. Just guesswork, though.)

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2010, 02:56 PM

Is there a chance that they'd give me a new MBP?

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2010, 03:07 PM

Most likely will be a fix.

In any case, please report back on what happens!

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2010, 03:41 PM

Just got back from the 5th ave Apple Store.

At first the genius had no clue what was wrong with it and why it kept doing that. He thought it was my disc so he booted it from his external drive and same thing happened. He asked a few other geniuses and no one knew what was wrong.

He was about to send it to a repair (logic board I think) then another genius suggested to reset the SMC and he did and it worked.

So resetting the SMC worked.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2010, 04:31 PM

Ah, excellent!

Forum Links
Forum Rules